Plants in your beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plants in your beliefs

Yes... this is a word for word (almost) rip off of Corbin's animal thread. Let's give the plant spirits the attention they deserve!

Are there any specific plants that are important in your beliefs?

If so, what are they, what is their roll, and why (if you know or can speculate) do they have that roll?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Sage and me go way back. No idea why exactly. But I loves it. It was my first pin number.

I'm supposed to plant a seed and pray over it. Cos Norse Shamanism. But I haven't yet...
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Plants in your beliefs

Sage was the first plant I felt a spiritual connection to too! In fact, in my teen witch days my magical name was Cleo Salvia Magpie!

When it comes to animals it seems to be mainly species native to the British Isles that I work with but the plants I work with are from all over the world.

These days I still have a soft spot for sage but I use mugwort more for smudging and so on, so this along with oak, is probably my most important plant.

Plants that I have a long standing connection to are...

Oak (I actually wear a silver acorn instead of a pentacle as a symbol of my path).
      Sage
      Rosemary
      Hawthorn
      Chamomile
      Lavender
      Yarrow

These days I use edible plants to support my physical health and chakras via the endocrine system and through this have built a friendship with..

Garlic
      Olive (very much so)
      Cabbage (and his relatives)
      Turmeric
      Kelp (also very much so)
      Kiwi fruit

I'm a bit conscious of the danger of adding anything that I happen to frequently eat to my list. Still, as far as I can tell there is a genuine connection to these plants that goes deeper than just enjoying their taste. Besides, if it just came down to favourite food, tomatoes would be on the list for sure! They're possibly my favourite food. I would eat my weight in tomatoes if it wouldn't destroy my bowels!
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I think (i cant remember) but I bought mug wort as a substitution for sage? Like cos it was more Norse traditional? Can't remember...
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

When it comes to the green peoples I tend to do more with the standing ones. It's like cedar for purification's more than sage for me. Not that I don't have allies in other plant's but I just tend to connect to tree's more than anything. From a memory perspective I can study plant lore and such and it's gone in no time except for odd bits that stick around. But tree lore tends to remain.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I like sage as well but that comes from a story I wrote rather than being an entirely spiritual connection.
            Otherwise it's trees for me (even my username here is a tree!), especially coniferous trees since they are more common here. Good, old and boring pine is probably the most important plant for me, in all its versatility. Just think about it: this and this tree are of the same species! I have heaps of personal mythology build around the pine and combined with all the existing myths and beliefs about it, it has become a really powerful symbol for me. (Ironically, I'm not that excited about pine forests. I do like them but if I had to choose a forest to take a walk in, I'd probably pick something else than a pine forest.)

I'd love to learn more about plants, especially about the folklore surrounding them. That wasn't covered in the gardening school.
            baah.

Comment

I like sage as well but that comes from a story I wrote rather than being an entirely spiritual connection.
              Otherwise it's trees for me (even my username here is a tree!), especially coniferous trees since they are more common here. Good, old and boring pine is probably the most important plant for me, in all its versatility. Just think about it: this and this tree are of the same species! I have heaps of personal mythology build around the pine and combined with all the existing myths and beliefs about it, it has become a really powerful symbol for me. (Ironically, I'm not that excited about pine forests. I do like them but if I had to choose a forest to take a walk in, I'd probably pick something else than a pine forest.)

I'd love to learn more about plants, especially about the folklore surrounding them. That wasn't covered in the gardening school.
              The pine tree is a relaxation tree also in my opinion. Few people realize it has square needles and they can be rolled between your fingers and used like focus beads. I've found times when I've been stressed where I've sat down with a single needle and simply rolled it back and forth between my fingers and focused upon the sensation and image of it. Depending upon the type of pine it might have groups of 3, 5 or a few I noticed have 8 groupings of needles at each clumping where the needles grow out. Some have long slender needles, some have think needles that are shorter but all of them are squared. Yet when rolled, they can be fixated upon though the longer ones also created sort of a fan tailed image as it spins which sort of looks like a mini vortex twisting upon the end of your fingers.

But the Hemlocks, cedars and spruces if I recall all have flat needles so those can't be rolled. Don't quote me on the Spruce though as my memory is a bit hazy on that one.

Comment

^ Thanks! I never realised that about pine needles! (Oh the irony, I've had exams about different needles of coniferous trees but I never looked into them in that way.) I have been looking for something to fiddle with (other than the skin on my fingers) so pine needles could be a solution.
                baah.

Comment

^ Thanks! I never realised that about pine needles! (Oh the irony, I've had exams about different needles of coniferous trees but I never looked into them in that way.) I have been looking for something to fiddle with (other than the skin on my fingers) so pine needles could be a solution.
                  Not sure where your at but if in the states i'd shy away from using white pine. Virginia Pine or Scrag Pine the needles are rather dry so don't get sap all over your hands, but the white pine, especially when the sap is running, seems like even the needles have a heavy sap concentration. Which is sort of strange I suppose when you consider the sap is usually carried in the main trunk and part way out the branches but you mostly see it running down the main trunk unless the outer covering is deeply cut into or the branch completely cut away. But sometimes I've found heavy sap pockets at the knuckles where the needles form on white pines. Not real runny like what's on the trunk but almost a heavy syrup, sort of like a molasses in that's its a dark brown where the sap is a cream color or white color. Reminds me of the syrup / sap you find at times on fruit tree's such as peach tree's, looks sort of like a heavy jelly.

Comment

It's mostly Scots Pine (pinus sylvestris) here where I live. They have usually dry needles although the tree itself might be sappy.
                    The sap is also interesting as it has antiseptic properties - but I definitely wouldn't like to have it all over my hands!
                    baah.

Comment

Comment

If you have the very, very, very common herb, yarrow, growing near you, and the odds are that you do, it originated in Eurasia, but is now found as a "native" plant pretty much everywhere in the world because it was once a very important medicinal plant. The Norse called it "Spearwell" - the plant that makes you well after you've been speared, and it is called "Achilles Foil" - Achilles fingers - because it is referenced in The Illiad as being used by Achellies to treat injured soldiers during the Trojan War.

It is also almost certainly the plant Tolkein had in mind that Aragorn used to cure the "Black Breath." It matches Tolkein's description in the book exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

...The sap is also interesting as it has antiseptic properties - but I definitely wouldn't like to have it all over my hands!
                        If you're careful (goes up like napalm) it makes a good incense. Birchbark does, too (goes up like napalm and makes a good incense).
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yeah, yarrow is awesome. We go way back! If you check out my list on page one, Yarrow made the cut! For something that grows as a weed just about anywhere, she has so many uses.

I really feel that there are certain plants that want to be noticed and used by humans. Many such plants are considered weeds. It's like they're popping up on our patios screaming at us 'use my leaves you stupid humans!!' I think especially of dandelion and nettle (the latter nearly made it into my 'plantheon' <see what I did there?). They're so packed with handy micronutrients yet we just yank them out of the ground and throw them away.

I was especially thankful for dandelions while JP was out of work. The leaves work well in salads or sandwiches if you don't have much to spend on groceries. -and no, I didn't wet the bed! Not once!

Comment

Anything I can do with "Goats Head"? I think I have angered someone.
                            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              ..I was especially thankful for dandelions while JP was out of work. The leaves work well in salads or sandwiches if you don't have much to spend on groceries. -and no, I didn't wet the bed! Not once!
                              Dandelion also makes a heck of a wine. he he he and it will talk your head off then....

Comment

Working...
                              X