• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fires in Southest

Originally posted by Heka View Post
    Nice.

/10douchycharacters
    I think there is only person here being douchy and it's not any of us.

Comment

A friend of mine lives in NW South Carolina and it's been very smoky. I hope they get some serious rain soon!
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post

I think there is only person here being douchy and it's not any of us.
        No I spy 2.
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Okay, in Australia when you go 70 days without rain it's a climatic normal. In the Southeast when you go 70 days without rain entire rivers and lakes dry up, species are threatened (Alabama has the most biological diversity in the US), plants die off, forest fires pop up everywhere, crops die.
          This is actually not true. Drought may be very common in PARTS of Australia, but it still threatens our ecosystem. Rivers and lakes dry up. Species are threatened. Species die out. Plants die out. Crops die. Bushfires run rampant. Entire states are burned to the ground. Dust storms black out the skies. Stock dies out in the fields. Farmers lose their livelihood. Families lose their homes. The entire country goes on permanent water restrictions. The economy drops because we aren't producing.

Just because something is 'the norm' doesn't mean that it isn't tragic and that it doesn't have devastating effects on the environment and the community.

I'm not trying to start a 'my country is worse off than yours' thing here. I'm just pointing out that 'normal' doesn't mean 'benign'. 'Drought' is a relative term that is not about the quantitative amount of rainfall, but the reduced overall moisture in the air, surface and water table. Africa experiences droughts, and it's devastating for them too. Also try to remember that Australia has incredible biodiversity and climatic diversity... what is normal in the north of the state of South Australia (where Heka lives) is not normal in the south of South Australia (where I live). Broad sweeping statements like the one above are simply untrue and unfair.

The droughts that the Southeast of the US is experiencing now are tragic. Just like every drought that Australia has experienced. And every drought that every other country in the world has experienced. Drought is tragic. It costs lives and livelihood. It has far reaching effects that can only be predicted with experience. I don't know how long your drought will last (ours go 10-20 years... my farming grandfather has a chart that his grandfather started that tracks the rains in the Mallee region over several generations) but you also need to prepare for the backlash once the rains do start again. When the ground dries out so bad, especially if the water table is effected, flash floods can happen when the rain starts again (even if it's not heavy rain). Prolonged drought changes the land and the way that it responds to weather changes. Hopefully the US droughts break quickly and you don't have to experience the rollercoaster effect of drought followed by flash floods.

Comment

No doubt but I never said anything about droughts in Australia. What was said was the difference between a commonly arid region going 70 days without rain and commonly wet region going 70 days without rain. And that's about it.
            Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 21 Nov 2016, 18:18.

Comment

No doubt but I never said anything about droughts in Australia. What was said was the difference between a commonly arid region going 70 days without rain and commonly wet region going 70 days without rain. And that's about it.
              Except that Australia as a whole isn't a 'commonly arid region'. 70 days without rain in Australia is not a climactic norm. And yes, Heka's biological sphere can be threatened when it goes 70+ days without rain. Clearly, you're making broad sweeping statements about a country that simply aren't true. Backpedaling and rewording isn't going to change what you said.

Comment

And I wasn't picking on the horrors that people in your area are experiencing. It's fuckin horrible. I just think perspective is important. At least with your 70+ days with no rain you can expect it to come soon.

Interestingly we got 1 ml of rain last night. Thats the most in over 4 weeks 😑
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  Except that Australia as a whole isn't a 'commonly arid region'. 70 days without rain in Australia is not a climactic norm. And yes, Heka's biological sphere can be threatened when it goes 70+ days without rain. Clearly, you're making broad sweeping statements about a country that simply aren't true. Backpedaling and rewording isn't going to change what you said.
                  Obviously, I should have been more specific when I said Australia. I've been to Australia and I know it has a broad climate. But, my meaning was Heka's region of South Australia which is a mostly desert and arid region. And I'm not backpedaling anything. I stand by what I said even if it needed to be clarified a bit. So you can keep trying to extrapolate things I didn't say but it isn't going to change what I said.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  And I wasn't picking on the horrors that people in your area are experiencing. It's fuckin horrible. I just think perspective is important. At least with your 70+ days with no rain you can expect it to come soon.

Interestingly we got 1 ml of rain last night. Thats the most in over 4 weeks 😑
                  We really cant't expect it to come soon. The drought is forecasted to persist through the Winter. And I understand perspective but my point is because 70 days doesn't seem like a lot for people who live in typically arid regions it doesn't make it less devestating. It is essentially watching a region that is a climate zone from being a rain forest completely dry up.

Comment

I remember one horrible summer in Seattle when we got 90+ days without rain. Peoples webbed feet started cracking and bleeding and the resident ducks moved east.
                    It was coincidentally 90 days following a bit of weather magik for a sunny day... I have grown since then and I don't do weather magik at all.
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

It's suspected that 18 of the 31 fires were started by arson. One arson burnt 900 acres, and they luckily caught that guy. I live a few hours away from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. My friends who live there are safe, but last I heard for just the fires in this area there was 4 deaths and about 45 injured. There are a lot of people unaccounted for, hopefully in a shelter but who knows. The aquarium was deemed safe and no loss of workers or the animals who they had to abandon during the evacuation.
                      ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

The Appalachian Trail is closed through the Smokey Mountains and a lot of areas in the Southeast due to fires. A lot of Southbound thru-hikers are having to skip sections. Earlier this year they had closed down the trail coming out of Hot Springs, NC because of a pretty bad fire. I am really worried about the affects the fire will have on the National Park.

Comment

Working...
                        X