Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Showing Appreciation

Hey guys,
    I need a bit of help please. I want to do something nice for the folks at my favorite restaurant what hubby and I frequent weekly. I don't really know what to do though. I was thinking of baking cookies for them, and while they don't sell cookies as their location (because why would I make them a food that they sell?) I feel that giving them something to eat at a place where they make food already is a bit weird. The manager I talked to did clear this idea (I wanted to make sure they would accept it; some places around here aren't allowed to accept outside foods) but then I started thinking if there is something else I could do or make that would be useful. I've never worked in the food serving industry though so I'm not sure what would work. They have several managers here and probably at least a couple dozen servers all together. Also bus boys and then the kitchen crew. It's a family dining sort of place. I suppose it could be compared to Denny's, business-environmentally speaking.

Any of you have an idea?
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Ideas for Showing Appreciation

Perhaps doing a review in the local paper,good recommendations in the Media go a LONG way...get others that frequent the place to jump in also.

- - - Updated - - -

Just one small warning,not to much publicity. In San Francisco there was this great little restaurant. Name was Hamburger Mary's. Place had GREAT food,and a bar. It was a hangout for some VERY interesting people(drag Queens,hookers and Art type folks,some old punk rockers) Problem came when the yuppies "discovered" it They started to go to watch the "Freaks",and the regular crowd stopped going. The yuppies got tired of it fast,and the place almost went under until the old crowd slowly came back.

Not always good when to many people know about your favorite place.
    Last edited by anunitu; 03 Dec 2016, 13:03.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Well, this place is already popular because they have a great location (near and accessible to freeway and one of the closest diners to the pdx airport). I have left great reviews already for them in the past. It's more like they're my friends now. They know us pretty, well, too. Been going there for the last 9 years when we moved into the neighborhood. Went to their sister store out in the other town we used to live, in prior to moving, for two years.
      “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
      Sneak Attack

Comment

I suppose it really depends on the size of the place,sounds really like a family place(Best kind) I had a few favorites in SF that were very family type and special atmosphere.
        I am a fan of "Greasy spoons" because my dad ran one when I was a kid.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

As a former waitress...something to pamper myself would be awesome. Maybe a homemade foot rub kit etc? An aromatherapy kit?
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Um as a cook who has worked in lots of restaurants we LOVE getting food that isn't made by us!!! We also appreciate just being recognized. So cookies would be awesome. Also foot scrub like Duce said.
            Last edited by kalynraye; 03 Dec 2016, 14:57.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Ooh, I like that idea. I could easily make some Epsom salt bath with essential oils, too. I love those ideas. Please keep them coming.
              Sneak Attack

Comment

homemade heating pads in nice material with rice. You heat it up in the microwave for instant heat. hot chocolate or tea stuff in mason jars. Home made lip balms or creams for dry hands etc. Booze. Everyone loves booze
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I just got a thermophore(brand) heating pad With a cover that adds moisture to the heating. Works real nice on my back when it acts up.

This is the one I got.
                  Thermophore Heat Pad (model 055), Part#: 055, 040337000557 HAND HELD Switch - Hold switch down to heat, release to cool

A bit expensive,but well worth the expense. Very well made.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

With the booze you could totally get the little airline bottles and mason jars and put mix drink ingredients in the mason jar(i.e. can of coke, red bull) and tie the airline bottle around the top with a ribbon. Or you could make a salted caramel sauce and put in a small jar and package with apples, christmas bark, vanilla extract( vanilla beans in a bottle with vodka) flavored oils. I think Duce already said sugar scrubs for the ladies but if not there is that.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

I don't think I'll be doing the booze. There are minors working there, too. Interesting idea though. But I really like the homemade hand creme and lip balms. I will add this to my list of things to research on how to do.
                      Sneak Attack

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                        I don't think I'll be doing the booze. There are minors working there, too. Interesting idea though. But I really like the homemade hand creme and lip balms. I will add this to my list of things to research on how to do.
                        I make my own lip balm. I'll try and find the recipe for you if you like. I need to make more anyway.
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

http://galiaplace.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/homemade-winter-lip-balm.html

I've used other essential oils besides tangerine too, but I like tangerine.
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Thank you Heka! The link: is that the recipe you use or do you also have a different one? I know there's more than one way to make lip balms so I'm just checking what your preference is.

I gotta say, I'm totally in love with the lip balm and hand creme idea. I think I'll make a shit ton of cookies and a smaller batch of the balm so there's a bit of variety.

You guys are awesome! Depending on how well this goes, I wouldn't mind sharing the end result with you guys... If you want.
                            Sneak Attack

Comment

I would love to know how it all goes!!! Also post some pics. I like to see all the beautiful packaging!

Comment

Working...
                              X