Not offically a holiday,but Dec 7,a day that will live in infamy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not offically a holiday,but Dec 7,a day that will live in infamy

Just a moment to remember Pearl Harbor today....it has been 75 years...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Not offically a holiday,but Dec 7,a day that will live in infamy

One of the most somber moments of my career was standing over the USS Arizona and watching the oil bubbles rise up from the wreckage. It was like watching the wreck shed both drops of its blood and shed a tear for the bodies she holds in her embrace that are entombed within her all at the same time. Each bubble rising to the surface to break open then dissipate as the water slowly carried it away while the oily ring grew larger and larger.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Celebrate Pearl Harbor Day by picking up a copy of Time Magazine, just out today, naming a draft dodger "Person of the Year."
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Who would have thought it.....

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

My grandfather served in World War II and he died on the date of Pearl Harbor in 1994. This date holds so much importance for me, not only for my grandfather's passing, but for history as well. I can't help, but cry and feel sad because there were so many men, women and children that died that day.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I remember my mother telling me that she was supposed to be in a school play right around that date, and it was cancelled because of it. She must've been about 10. Seems like every generation has some big thing like that. My grandmother remembered hearing about the Titanic when she was little, and for me it was JFK's assassination.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              I remember my mother telling me that she was supposed to be in a school play right around that date, and it was cancelled because of it. She must've been about 10. Seems like every generation has some big thing like that. My grandmother remembered hearing about the Titanic when she was little, and for me it was JFK's assassination.
              Mines 9/11
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

For myself it was the Tonkin gulf

Here.

Known as the Gulf of Tonkin Incident. It escalated the Vietnam war into high gear. This happened a year before I joined the Navy,and it sped up the draft because more troops were needed. So kind of my own personal reason to join rather than wait to be drafted.
                Last edited by anunitu; 07 Dec 2016, 22:57.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

It's funny the things we retain in our memories. I don't recall Tonkin Gulf but I recall Thresher (1963) and Scorpion (1968) and the news coverage to a degree. Kennedy is just a hick-up in my memory which is ironic I suppose when you consider his assassination was November of 1963 and the USS Thresher was lost in April of 1963, yet I was only 5 at the time. Guess subs made more of an impact on me.

But then again in reflection it seems at times the entirety of the 1960's and early 1970's is all one large event. 5th street baptist blurs into the March from Selma to Montgomery and right into the speech in D.C. along with all the Freedom Rider encounters along the way. Not the same but blurring into the same violence and struggles that marked the Black Panthers, the SLA and Patty Hurst incident as it all seemed to mark the decade. In so many ways appearing as if the country was at war in South East Asia but also at war within itself. The only thing missing was the hard nosed dying remnants of McCarthyism and the communist red scare. Yet even that continued in some capacity as an influence upon the US involvement in the war and the Cold War in general though people historically show its hard nosed aspects die about 1956.

Comment

I remember the Thresher,I think I was in 9th or 10th grade then. I think I was all of 16.
                    Last edited by anunitu; 08 Dec 2016, 06:16.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      I remember the Thresher,I think I was in 9th or 10th grade then. I think I was all of 16.
                      For my age I really can't tell you why I remembered it just did. Saw news clips of it years later and knew it right away and could recall what our house and living room looked like where we lived at the time when it first occurred. I've always had an interest in submarines for as long as I can remember. As I've gotten older the memory has faded nearly away and been replaced by newer memories but if I see a news clip or such and many times it's as fresh as it was the day I first saw it and I can see the shadows of my home when I was five. Not always, but more times than I can count.

Strange though now it seems lesser in influence upon social and political history. That or I've just gotten older and the events that shaped my life and times affected / effected us differently than how things influence people today. My parents and grandparents do not reflect upon Pearl Harbor they reflect upon WWII as a whole, Pearl was just one aspect of it. To a degree even Korea is seen simply as the unfinished fall-out of WWII, not specifically a new war. It marks the ongoing fall of the european nation's world empire stage which will continue right up and into Vietnam and rise of the Communist bloc I suppose. Sort of how the 60's & 70's are for me I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                      X