Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rituals for coming of age?

May 2013
    Religion
    pantheist witch
    Phrase
    magicallydelicious

Rituals for coming of age?

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seems like a good enough spot...I guess it could go in parenting too, but I'm more interested in the ritual aspect.

Has anyone here ever participated into a coming of age ceremony? My kids have a little while to go, but its something that I've been thinking about. Western culture doesn't seem to do a very good job with this, and I'm looking for a way to mark the different milestones of their life. If you have, what was the ceremony or ritual like? If you haven't, do you have any ideas of what might have interested you? What about any differences for genders? Do you think menarche should be a milestone for girls?
    A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
    --Albert Einstein

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things
    I'm all for celebrating menarche, I want my daughter/s to feel that menstruation is a positive thing, even if it can be a nuisance
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Re: Rituals for coming of age?

I celebrated menopause - I celebrate it every day! So happy to be rid of that horrible ordeal.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

...I bought Phee her first (sports) bra. Quelle horreur.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    My mother refused to buy me a bra. But I got teased at school, so my girlfriends went out with me to get one. I hid it in my school bag and only put it on when I got to school. My period came over a year later.

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Jesus, how old is she now?
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Jesus, how old is she now?
    Almost 10...she doesn't need a bra for size, but for active kid+chafing and breast buds. So, sports bra for running and gymnastics and such. She's the one that wanted one. You should have seen the look on Hubby's face...I thought he was going to cry.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

Almost 10...she doesn't need a bra for size, but for active kid+chafing and breast buds. So, sports bra for running and gymnastics and such. She's the one that wanted one. You should have seen the look on Hubby's face...I thought he was going to cry.
    Golly, I was 12 at least

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Golly, I was 12 at least
    I was 10 when I started wearing a bra & 9 when I had my 1st period, so she's gotten a little reprieve from genetics.
    Last edited by thalassa; 03 Jan 2017 at 17:41.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

I was 10 when I started wearing a bra & 9 when I had my 1st period, so she's gotten a little reprieve from genetics.
    Dang. 12 and 14 here

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger