Ritual "Leftovers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritual "Leftovers"

After rituals, offerings, or magic workings, I've often heard one should either bury or leave in nature the "leftover" supplies, offerings foods or drink, and herbs, etc, used in such practices, but never throw them away. So that got me thinking, what do all of you do with these leftovers, and why? I understand "leftover" may not be the best terminology in the world, but it's the only one I can think of at the moment.

Re: Ritual "Leftovers"

I've always buried mine at the base of a tree. I remember reading once that spell working leftovers should be left at the base of a tree because the magick within them would be carried up the roots of the tree and out into the branches to be sent out on the winds. While I don't believe that to be the only one way to get rid of the extra supplies, I liked the idea of some extra energies being added and have continued to do this as part of my practice. I don't always get to do it right away, so I will sometimes store the leftover stuff in a black cloth in a box until I am able to bury them.

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
      After rituals, offerings, or magic workings, I've often heard one should either bury or leave in nature the "leftover" supplies, offerings foods or drink, and herbs, etc, used in such practices, but never throw them away. So that got me thinking, what do all of you do with these leftovers, and why? I understand "leftover" may not be the best terminology in the world, but it's the only one I can think of at the moment.
      As long as nothing is wasted or left in such a way as the environment or animals are threatened (plastics, chocolate for dogs etc) then I don't think it matters what you do.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        As long as nothing is wasted or left in such a way as the environment or animals are threatened (plastics, chocolate for dogs etc) then I don't think it matters what you do.
        I agree with this. Although personally the idea of dumping my rubbish in nature, even if burying it, feels out of sync with my personal views. True, household waste ends up in hazardous landfill (or worse). Also true that waste in landfill is actually MORE polluting than the same waste disposed of by other means due to the anaerobic conditions causing the release of methane as it rots (I'm specifically talking about food waste in this instance). Yet even knowing this, I've always tried to leave natural places as I found them and burying bits of candle or even food, feels at odds (I struggle with leaving physical offerings for this reason, and I think of the harm done by well-meaning spiritual folk to sites like Stone Henge because they think it's okay to dump their crap where they please).

Thankfully I rarely use ritual items these days, which means it's less of an issue. Most of my ritual waste is the tins off tealite candles and the ash from incense cones. The candle tins go in the recycling bin, the ash in the regular bin (but never hot...I've read the warnings!! ^^).

Honestly though, I wouldn't want to tell others how best to dispose of items. At the end of the day, it has to sit well with you. It's also worth remembering that EVERYTHING we do affects our environment and our very existance causes harm (yes.. even the vegans!!). I've always believed that the aim should simply be to minimise that harm as far as reasonably possible. 'Reasonably possible' varies considerably between individuals, depending on wealth, health, morals, location, time and so on, so it's up to the individual to decide what is reasonable for them.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

For food offerings, I work on the "offer it and eat it' principle. I do pour wine into a bowl, though, and I empty that in the garden every morning. I'm not sure what I'd do if my flats didn't have a garden. I did have to explain myself once, when a neighbour saw me tipping something under a tree and assumed that I was guilty of the eighth deadly sin: feeding pigeons!

Comment

I depend it with the materials I used. If it's all natural or even organic, I tend to return it to nature through offering. If it's some household materials that can be seemingly harmful then I disposed of it properly.
            I believe in the good karma of giving back what you took.

Comment

Working...
            X