Pet Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet Insurance

I didn't really want to post this in the chit-chat thread but we've been to the vet a lot lately, with our aging balls of fur. I'm beginning to wonder if some of those expenses could have been minimized by having pet insurance. I've heard of it but don't know much about it. I have started googling pet insurance but would like to know from some of you folks (whom I trust) that have experience with pet insurance.
    If you have it, would you recommend it to other people?
    Are there circumstances where pet insurance is more hassle than it's worth?
    What is your overall opinion of getting and maintaining pet insurance?

Thanks in advance!
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Pet Insurance

I'm not for certain. I was thinking about getting pet insurance for my little ones, but unless they are going to the vet a lot or are ill or are getting old, I would think you don't need it. There are websites where you can compare quotes. I would look at those before getting one. If you are seriously thinking about getting one.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

JP and I talked about this when we got Dolly but when we saw the prices, and I realised that paying for insurance doesn't mean all vet visits are covered regardless of the cost, so I could STILL be landed with an unexpected bill, I realised what a rip pet insurance actually is. We have savings so there's always the money if Dolly suddenly needs a vet trip. Then in the case of her needing a major operation, we would take out a loan. We don't have any debts (not a good thing apparently, as I learnt recently when trying to buy a coffee table; they wouldn't let us buy on credit because we've never been in debt.. I mean wtf??), so paying back a loan wouldn't be too painful.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

You really need to get some advice from people in your part of the US, because pet insurance isn't quite the same in every country. The one thing I will say though, is that most companies the world over will not ensure older pets, or will charge you a much higher premium in order to cover pets over a certain age. It's generally most cost effective to get pet insurance while your pet is still young, and maintain it all through their 'healthy' years. Even though you may not use the insurance for the first 5-8 years of life, it more than pays for itself when they end up with an age-related disease that requires ongoing medications etc. You may end up paying more for monthly medications that you do for the insurance. But like all insurance, it's a gamble on what MIGHT happen. You may pay it your pet's whole life and never need it. You may only need it for one major surgery, which you could have paid out of a savings account. Or you could end up with a dog with allergies or heart disease who's monthly medication bill is well beyond your means or savings account... insurance is really worth it in THOSE situations, even if it feels like a rip off when your pet is otherwise healthy.

Comment

My home/car ins. company (Farmers) offers it through Pets Best. https://www.petsbest.com/ I didn't get too far in reading the details when I first heard about it because it's only for cats & dogs. (Parrots are a whole 'nother thing.) You might check with your ins. co. and see if they offer it, and ask your vet if they accept it, and if they work best with any particular company.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

All i ever hear about pet insurance is how nothing ever seems to be covered by the policy. But I've never looked into it and don't have it. A friend did tell me though that she has insurance with her vet, not a company? So that could be worth looking into
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              All i ever hear about pet insurance is how nothing ever seems to be covered by the policy. But I've never looked into it and don't have it. A friend did tell me though that she has insurance with her vet, not a company? So that could be worth looking into
              It wouldn't be 'insurance' through a vet ('cos that would be illegal), but some vets do 'health plans' where you pay money onto your account in small increments, or pay a set fee per year to get a certain level of services. Some also do a direct deposit set up so that they are then happy for you to have an account, because you have a solid payment history with them and they can take the funds out of your bank. They may also have an agreement with a certain insurance company... but getting into bed with an insurance company is really slippery because there's all sorts of possibilities for being accused of financial advice, plus tax issues... we can get in big trouble if we don't do it properly.

ETA: having said that, it might be different in other countries if the laws surrounding insurance and financial advice are different.
              Last edited by Rae'ya; 14 Jan 2017, 20:43.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! It's a conversation I intend on having with my home and car insurance provider, to see if they also cover pets. They haven't done us wrong all the years we've had them, so far, so I'm hoping it'll be a pleasant conversation. I'll keep y'all posted when it happens.

I know this sort of thing is a mixed bag for people, at best. I just don't have any experience with it, usually I'm able to pay for services and medication at the time of the appointments, but with 5 senior pets, things are getting a bit crazy. Might just rename my personal savings account to pet-fund, lol.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                X