Yulin Is Barbaric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post

Yeah and some meats aren't meant to be eaten and to be taken care as pets.
    In India cow isn't meant to be eaten. Does that mean its ok to eat cow?
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Yulin Is Barbaric

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      In India cow isn't meant to be eaten. Does that mean its ok to eat cow?
      I think there can be a lot of contributing factors as well. Like I grew up eating meat in my family. It's natural for me to eat meat. I think that family, where you grow up, and other contributing factors can be a part of it. But like I said, I'd rather starve than eat a domestic animal.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

So, after brief research, I can agree that it is a barbaric practice, but not because it's dogs. The thought of eating dogs is sickening to me (that being said I'm vegetarian anyway). But it's a cultural thing. Eating cats and dogs isn't a cultural taboo there. The problem lies in the fact that the animals are often brutally murdered, apparently publicly, and sometimes stolen from loving families. And a majority of the population, albiet a small one, is against the practice. That isn't acceptable.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post

I think there can be a lot of contributing factors as well. Like I grew up eating meat in my family. It's natural for me to eat meat. I think that family, where you grow up, and other contributing factors can be a part of it. But like I said, I'd rather starve than eat a domestic animal.
          Course it can. There's heaps of contributing factors to your diet, eating meat or not.

I would probably eat meat rather than starve. But I mean like desert island starve.
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I wonder how people would be if I had a pet Cockroach...if it is MY pet,no one should ever try to kill it or anything meant to hurt it,Right?
            People have much different thoughts about a cockroach,might be culture,might just be the hee bee geebies. And does my position allow me to berate people who would smash them or poison them even though I find that action offensive. Everyone has things they hate,and others might consider that hate objectionable,and all of us being human may tend to go to war over small differences in culture. Because as I mentioned before...humans are a minefield...Watch your step please.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              Chickens, goat, pigs and sheep are common in Australia. I also know people who keep kangaroos as pets. And you can buy it at the local store. Is it ok to eat your national emblem?
              Well I live in USA and the common household pet is dogs and cats.

Comment

That BMH is to your perspective only. Pot Bellied pigs are a pretty common pet for instance. Spider Monkey's are rather common as pets as well and knew more than a few who had them, including one of my aunts who always warned us kids to leave hers alone.

The fact you live in New York city may limit the variety of "pets" you routinely encounter. Where I live dogs are just as likely to be hunting dogs and around the home as pets if not more likely to be hunting dogs. A pet dog might also be a field dog and often used to protect herd animals and be left outside or stay in barns, out buildings, etc but still be seen as both a pet and a working animal. To a degree the same could be said of cats to keep rodent populations down, though feral populations might be destroyed without hesitation.

The idea of what is a common pet differs quite a bit depending upon whether one is city, rural, country and what region of the country. Heck one could argue it even depends upon the legal definition of wild or domesticated as I've seen more than a few so called "Wild" animals that people recognized as pets but legally they would be destroyed as they are considered as wild. One of the issues with feeding wild animals, especially young ones, and having them get used to human scents and accepting food from us. But that is a different issue.

Personally I think you have two separate issues here and you are not separating them. There is the matter of eating meat regardless of which type of animal it comes from. Then there is the issue of how the animal is killed to obtain that meat. Eating the animal I have no issue with. How it is killed that I do and try to influence that process when and how I can. A quick death and as painless as possible should in my opinion be the desired goal. A method that seeks to inflict long term suffering, agony and brutality I do not think is appropriate. Especially one that seeks to cause a long drawn out death process.

But as I said as to which type of meat different strokes for different folks.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I was a volunteer at a soup kitchen back in SF,and someone had a mouse trapped by a "Sticky" trap. They tossed the still living mouse into a trash can. I fished it out,and killed it with my knife. I got all kinds of grief for being so cruel,how could I be so unfeeling just stabbing the mouse to death rather letting it starve to death as was the natural, out of sight way of dealing with bothersome vermin.....

So,now tell me how well we here in America treat living things(do NOT read up on the meat culture here in America,never ask about breeding chickens in factory farms,or pigs,or cows)

It "Might" make you stop eating meat forever.

- - - Updated - - -

You "Might" look up the term "Egg sucking dog"

Johnny Cash doing "Egg sucking Dog"

- - - Updated - - -

Egg Sucking Dog meaning from the urban Dictionary

- - - Updated - - -

Country folks seem to have had a less fond idea about Dogs and Cats on a farm.

Recognize that working farm dogs and cats are not pets

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Starvation traps suck. We've used those sticky traps but once a mouse is caught we finish it off right away so it doesn't suffer. We try the catch and release traps as much as possible but they seem to work for a short time then stop. Living in the country we get lots of field mice, especially when it starts getting onto winter. Don't mind them to much in the out buildings and such but in the house where they get in the pantries and such can't have that. The out buildings are not to bad except they also draw in the snakes which black snakes aren't to bad but also draws in some of the poison ones as well and that can't have.

Lucky we have a number of feral cats in the area and the smaller predator foxes, bobcats and such keep the stuff from the forest and fields down pretty much along with our avian raptors.

I guess for me the barbaric nature people keep going on about doesn't really bother me since I live with nature pretty much and see nature first hand. Man can be cruel but nature is cruel and does some really wicked stuff. People in my opinion like to fall back on the they are civilized and such but forget we're simply predators ourselves and it's in our nature. The civilized a life they think they have the more people tend to find fought. Yet realistically the closer they are to being willing to to slaughter and be un-civilized themselves they are.

I recall being in Odessa in the Ukraine and speaking to a mother who put her 12 and 14 year old daughter out as prostitutes. She didn't want to but the economy had fallen, their social position had gone to nothing and they were struggling to survive and doing all they could to get by. A mighty fall from the position they held before it all went down. Most of what they ate came in from what her daughters earned on their backs. There was a fleet exercise and a lot of ships in port at the time and her daughters were competing with all the prostitutes brought in from all over the region. Never forgot it, ended up with a mother asking me why I didn't want her 12 year old daughter and all it would cost me was about 50 dollars and I could do anything I wanted. That was around 1997.

Guess it's stuff like that is why I tend not to get upset or worry about what people eat meat wise overseas or if it was a pet in the US. That or even really take certain rituals / ceremonies to serious even if they could be seen as barbaric. Yeah it could be perhaps less painful for the animal being used for the ritual feast but that's about it.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Wow what a can of worms.

These Yulin dogs are bred for they meat. Their lives and purpose have been determined by the humans who brood them. Just as we breed certain cow species to make milk, and some to make meat. Like we breed certain dog species together to make better breeds for different purposes: hunting, companionship, security, handicap aid.

We make animals serve us, as mere tools of nature, as we have done with everything else. And it will go on until the end of humankind.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Well, well, well...the luxury of the non starving. It's nice, isn't it? We all get to pick and choose just which food we want to eat. What a wonderfu....eh. Eff it.

We all eat bumble bee vomit. Suck it up.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

True is true...A lot of things we eat we seldom ask where it comes from. That goose liver thing,where they force the goose to eat till its liver bursts,Pate Foie gras

Or caves liver,killing a calf(fatted I guess) as in the prodigal son and boiled alive Crab and lobster...Humans are not above a little torture to spice their food..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                            That BMH is to your perspective only. Pot Bellied pigs are a pretty common pet for instance. Spider Monkey's are rather common as pets as well and knew more than a few who had them, including one of my aunts who always warned us kids to leave hers alone.

The fact you live in New York city may limit the variety of "pets" you routinely encounter. Where I live dogs are just as likely to be hunting dogs and around the home as pets if not more likely to be hunting dogs. A pet dog might also be a field dog and often used to protect herd animals and be left outside or stay in barns, out buildings, etc but still be seen as both a pet and a working animal. To a degree the same could be said of cats to keep rodent populations down, though feral populations might be destroyed without hesitation.

The idea of what is a common pet differs quite a bit depending upon whether one is city, rural, country and what region of the country. Heck one could argue it even depends upon the legal definition of wild or domesticated as I've seen more than a few so called "Wild" animals that people recognized as pets but legally they would be destroyed as they are considered as wild. One of the issues with feeding wild animals, especially young ones, and having them get used to human scents and accepting food from us. But that is a different issue.

Personally I think you have two separate issues here and you are not separating them. There is the matter of eating meat regardless of which type of animal it comes from. Then there is the issue of how the animal is killed to obtain that meat. Eating the animal I have no issue with. How it is killed that I do and try to influence that process when and how I can. A quick death and as painless as possible should in my opinion be the desired goal. A method that seeks to inflict long term suffering, agony and brutality I do not think is appropriate. Especially one that seeks to cause a long drawn out death process.

But as I said as to which type of meat different strokes for different folks.
                            Ok so maybe the variety of animals are considered housepets as well.

Comment

Our goats at home are more like dogs than our dogs are. Even though we do eat them (we actually don't have any at the moment, since my sister got married around the same time I graduated high school... you figure out the rest) we send them to a butcher to take care of it. Even my real-men-don't-have-feelings dad can't bring himself to kill what is basically an edible pet.

As far as this actual festival, I've heard of protests from the locals, and that the number of dogs eaten has fallen dramatically. With any luck, we'll see the end of this festival, or at least the humane treatment of the animals (and no more stealing pets) before the mid century.Our goats at home are more like dogs than our dogs are. Even though we do eat them (we actually don't have any at the moment, since my sister got married around the same time I graduated high school... you figure out the rest) we send them to a butcher to take care of it. Even my real-men-don't-have-feelings dad can't bring himself to kill what is basically an edible pet.

As far as this actual festival, I've heard of protests from the locals, and that the number of dogs eaten has fallen dramatically. With any luck, we'll see the end of this festival, or at least the humane treatment of the animals (and no more stealing pets) before the mid century.

Comment

I was watching this I guess "reality show" kinda like survivor,where this group of people had to live as their ancestors had for a period of time. Farming and no modern goodies..but when it came to slaughtering the animals for food,NO ONE in the group could do the deed,and they had to have an outside Butcher slaughter the animals...so it seems we have traveled a LONG way from our brutish past,and now are so civilized that we can not watch as our meat is prepared for us.

Good,Bad? who really knows,at some time they will grow our chow in a Petri dish

Brave new World indeed...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X