Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yulin Is Barbaric

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Do you eat bacon in rashers in your part of the world though? I know when I was in Germany it wasn't easy to find bacon cut into thin strips like that (although come to think of it, I know in the US you can have slices of bacon in a burger, but maybe it's different in different states?). Not that I was looking for bacon in Germany. I just remember hearing some poor British expat moaning that he can't make a proper full English breakfast!
    The only way I've ever noticed it in stores is pre-sliced.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      The only way I've ever noticed it in stores is pre-sliced.
      That is a rasher though.

I think this is just one of those weird cases where you manage to go through life without noticing a word. Happens to me a lot. I even have a deck on Anki (vocab app i use for Japanese) for learning English words that everyone else seems to know but me. My latest was 'gunwale', from just a fews days ago

This is kinda surreal though. A vegetarian teaching someone meat vocabulary!
      Last edited by Jembru; 06 Mar 2017, 21:15.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Here Bacon is normally what you showed above..Thick cut is referred to as Canadian Bacon.

So different types of Bacon here.

Canadian Bacon is used in Eggs Benedict.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I couldn't find anything online suggesting that the word isn't universal in English speaking countries, but it might be that it's much more commonly used in some places than in others. I know in the US you there's a tendency away from pointless English. So maybe it's a case of 'why use rasher when the word 'slice' will suffice?'. In England we lean towards 'there's a proper word for that so I'd better use it so I don't sound uneducated'.

(I'd usually have started a new thread by now to prevent derailing but as it's this thread, I'm not bothered. Maybe we can rename it to 'the somewhat but by no means solely meat discussion thread')
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

In Canada, we call "Canadian Bacon" "Back Bacon." I think this might also be true for other English-speaking countries. It also only looks round like that when it's trimmed. You can buy it untrimmed with the fat still on it, and we use it for a lot of other stuff (example: http://www.lousbbq.ca/Product.aspx?p=13). I think the Brits also eat that kind of bacon a lot.
            Last edited by DanieMarie; 07 Mar 2017, 00:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

Same. You can get quorn rashers so I don't see why you couldn't make them from ground grub protein too.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I said 'we'. I'm including myself as one of the pussies. Although if they did make things out of ground up grubs so it didn't look like grubs, I think I probably could eat it.
              Ooo we have Sanitarium 'facon' here. I love it. We don't have Quorn facon though, but we have other Quorn products! I'd love to try insect facon!

I couldn't do grubs, or legs or winga or the crunch I don't think haha, so all powder for me!
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Here Bacon is normally what you showed above..Thick cut is referred to as Canadian Bacon.

So different types of Bacon here.

Canadian Bacon is used in Eggs Benedict.
                We use ham in eggs benedict, or regular ol bacon rashets. Canadian bacon isnt really a thing here.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  It's as valid as any aspect of this conversation. How inhumane is it to inflict pain and suffering on those dogs versus inflicting pain and suffering on the people who will eat that rice but never be nourished by it. Not only never be nourished but in the long run potentially be killed by it and suffer health issues due to the plastic nature of it and what it will do to their digestive tracks and other body parts. We have sea creatures washing ashore with stomachs full of plastic that have starved to death basically. Think that is any less humane and painful to those creatures than what is done to those dogs?

Come on BMH got to look at the larger picture here
                  I did get into a larger picture and what they're doing at China is evil beyond recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                    I did get into a larger picture and what they're doing at China is evil beyond recognition.
                    Realistically BMH no you don't. Your more upset because it's being done to dogs which you see as pets. Yet your missing the fact they are being eaten and the entire animal is being used. So it's not like only certain parts are being taken from the animals and the rest is dumped into the trash or left to rot. Yes the method is barbaric but then again so is the method of ritual killing of cattle in Bali for certain sacrifices.

Evil would be killing them via torture and only using a small part of the animal. Leaving most of the meat to simply rot and taking just choice cuts.

Evil though, evil is coming up on a carcass and only the liver for instance is gone and the rest is left to rot. Coming up on a whole slew of rotting bodies that were killed because they got into the crops and nothing was done with the meat. Seeing them killed because they are considered as varmints or vermin and you can kill as many as you like basically to protect your crops. Like I said you really do not get the big picture.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      Realistically BMH no you don't. Your more upset because it's being done to dogs which you see as pets. Yet your missing the fact they are being eaten and the entire animal is being used. So it's not like only certain parts are being taken from the animals and the rest is dumped into the trash or left to rot. Yes the method is barbaric but then again so is the method of ritual killing of cattle in Bali for certain sacrifices.

Evil would be killing them via torture and only using a small part of the animal. Leaving most of the meat to simply rot and taking just choice cuts.

Evil though, evil is coming up on a carcass and only the liver for instance is gone and the rest is left to rot. Coming up on a whole slew of rotting bodies that were killed because they got into the crops and nothing was done with the meat. Seeing them killed because they are considered as varmints or vermin and you can kill as many as you like basically to protect your crops. Like I said you really do not get the big picture.
                      And that makes it OK? Seriously I don't see it that way.

Comment

Didn't say it made it better said you have to have the full picture. Any slaughter of any animal is painful. Yet a humane slaughter tries to make the death as painless and as quick as possible. Yet realistically there is still pain, a sense of fear in some capacity that the creature feels and experiences. Part of the debate is that it is the level of "Emotion" that is experienced at the time of death by the animal(s) that change the taste of the meat. Basically your talking chemicals released and how it will affect the creature.

Some will claim there is no affect, others will claim there is an effect upon the taste when you eat the animal. To be honest to me there is already a major difference in taste between factory farm raised animals and wild animals. Then there is also a difference in taste between grain feed animals and those that had to forage on anything they could find. You can also taste the difference between say a deer that had it's heart pumping hard and running when it was taken down and one that was basically just standing there and no adrenaline is coursing through the system.

But since this subject came up you keep hanging upon it being dogs and specifically how you see them as pets. No consideration of them as an actual food source. No consideration of the fact the animal is used to the fullest and little is wasted of it. No contrast to the fact so many animals are slaughtered for choice cuts of meat and the rest is tossed. Not even really considering cultural norms that are not American but Asian and generally accepted there. Nor considering your taking offense at a cultural norm for the Chinese in this instance while ignoring similar offensive things in the US if you look at our own meat packing industry or factory farming practices.

Condemning that practice mostly because it utilizes pets ie dogs while holding a roaring silence about equally horrendous practices in the US.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The issue here is that you (Bartmanhomer) are rather solipsist, in the sense that you limit your vision of the world according to your own personal culture, morals, world-view and mentality, without taking into account all the possible point of views this vision could have. This is of course, your right, and not in any way an incorrect way of thinking. But it is quite limiting when it comes to open debate/discussion in a forum.

Expample:

You: Yulin is barbaric. Killing dogs for food is evil (I'm making it short, not necessarily what you mean)

Person A: [Opinion/argument]

You: I don't see it that way.

Person B: [Opinion/argument]

Etc.

There is no fundamental problem with you not agreeing with anything others say, but if you could extrude yourself a bit from your own views and upbringing, I'm sure you could come up with real solid arguments to defend your point, other than "not seeing it that way".

As is, this discussion is rather sterile, but with huge potential. Specism is right now the spotlight when it comes to animal rights and stuff.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                            We use ham in eggs benedict, or regular ol bacon rashets. Canadian bacon isnt really a thing here.
                            There is a product here on the east coast(might be NJ or Pinn thing) known as a pork roll.

Pretty tasty...salty a bit..fried and used in Sammy's a lot..A form of Ham in a way,but not as altered as SPAM.(one of my favorites BTW)

Hawk might be familiar with it,being an EX Jersey girl(My first experience with it,because it does not exist on the west coast that I recall) Did I mention it is tasty?

- - - Updated - - -

Also Sean,yes diversity in cultures on the subject of food,also rejecting a cultures food while you are visiting has and could put you in a negative light as far as the local population and the feeling by them you are disrespecting their culture and them personally. When in Rome,as the saying goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Note on pork roll stuff,there is a Festival for it here in NJ..kinda popular in NJ
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                              The issue here is that you (Bartmanhomer) are rather solipsist, in the sense that you limit your vision of the world according to your own personal culture, morals, world-view and mentality, without taking into account all the possible point of views this vision could have. This is of course, your right, and not in any way an incorrect way of thinking. But it is quite limiting when it comes to open debate/discussion in a forum.

Expample:

You: Yulin is barbaric. Killing dogs for food is evil (I'm making it short, not necessarily what you mean)

Person A: [Opinion/argument]

Person B: [Opinion/argument]

Etc.

There is no fundamental problem with you not agreeing with anything others say, but if you could extrude yourself a bit from your own views and upbringing, I'm sure you could come up with real solid arguments to defend your point, other than "not seeing it that way".

As is, this discussion is rather sterile, but with huge potential. Specism is right now the spotlight when it comes to animal rights and stuff.
                              Well it's my opinion and I have a right to expressed it. I don't agree with what China is doing and I'm not going to change my mind about it. Ask yourself this. Would you rather eat your own pet (If you have any.) or would you take care of it without killing and devour it?

Comment

They are not eating their pets.
                                They are eating animals they have raised for human consumption.

I'm so ready to get the cheese out.
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X