Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ragnarok and dead gods...

So...

It occurred to me that if Baldur and Hodur are a precedent then gods that die end up in Hel's halls. This would mean that

A. Dead is sort of relative when it comes to deities
    B. While death is certainly long lasting, the potentiallity exists that they may not stay dead. Yes, Baldur and Hodur returning involves application of the end of the world but nothing guarantees that won't happen more than once.

Am I missing something or is this line of logic sound?
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Re: Ragnarok and dead gods...

No that sounds pretty right. They may be dead but they still exist. But also someone once tried to explain something to me which made perfect sense, and which I will now butcher. It's kind of cyclical, sure they're dead, but they're also not. Loki is tied to a stone somewhere being burnt by snake poison too. You would think worshipping a dead god would be pointless, but that's the thing that they're not... And.... this isn't making much sense. Sorry. I tried ^^
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      So...

It occurred to me that if Baldur and Hodur are a precedent then gods that die end up in Hel's halls. This would mean that

B. While death is certainly long lasting, the potentiallity exists that they may not stay dead. Yes, Baldur and Hodur returning involves application of the end of the world but nothing guarantees that won't happen more than once.

The end of the world happens more than once is my understanding...
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Ragnarok and dead gods...

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        So...

It's sound logic, plus there is some more background info that relates to the topic.

The Aesir aren't immortal, and never were immortal. They are naturally long lived, but they stay young and alive by eating Idhunn's (Idunna) apples. This is why Idhunn was such a coveted person who was stolen (and retrieved from) the jotunn Thjazi (though there is a theory that she was actually kidnapped by the Aesir to begin with, as she is actually of alfar descent).

Also, dying and going off to live in Helheim was not necessarily a done deal. After Baldr's death, Hermodhr went off to Helheim to petition Hel to let Baldur return to Asgardhr. Hel actually consented on the condition that all things weep for Baldr's death... Loki stuffed that up too by disguising himself as a giantess and refusing to weep. At Ragnarok, the hosts of the dead (will) fight with the Jotnar, hence Odhinn collecting slain human warriors in Valhalla (to bulk out his own army). At the end of Ragnarok, a number of gods are returned to life, including Baldr and Hodhr.

So 'death' in the Nine Worlds is not quite the same as death here in Thisworld. For residents of the Nine Worlds it's more like moving... moving to Helheim. Which is permanent unless Hel decides to let you out (which she doesn't tend to do).

Comment

Lol like moving apartments hahaha thats just the image i got
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment