Self-Relaxation Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Relaxation Tips

Compliments of one of my employers, and two wonderful colleagues.

Some of you probably already do this, but if you're not... these are great tips! Feel free to add more to this topic. If you have a video to share, even better (I'm a visual learner, so any time I get to see a demonstration, that's a way more effective way for tips to sink in).
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Self-Relaxation Tips

At first I was like ha...then I was like ohhh, good idea! I think I need to find me a tennis ball.

I relax and stretch using a scarf in bed (at times). I lie on my back and put my leg up in the air and stretch the scarf around my foot and pull. (mind you I have plantar fasciitus, so this is wonderful for stretching out my legs).

also brushing my long hair helps me relax.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Is there any other stress relaxation techniques that you can recommend? I think part of my seizures are due to stress. I do a lot of reading and writing, which are stress relievers. I also and learning new things like embroidery, but is there something else that I can do?
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
        Is there any other stress relaxation techniques that you can recommend? I think part of my seizures are due to stress. I do a lot of reading and writing, which are stress relievers. I also and learning new things like embroidery, but is there something else that I can do?
        Some guided meditations perhaps? There are lots on youtube. I use colouringbooks to calm down. Also singing, the self expression is calming, but the warm ups and breathing exercices really help too - when I feel stressed out I call my song teacher, nothing calms my mind and body quite as well as really focusing on breathing.
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Here's a few, but depending on the source of the stress, some other lifestyle changes may be required.

Massage* Types such as Swedish, Shiatsu, and Craniosacral should be gentle modalities to help relax tight and overactive muscles. If you're not used to receiving massage, I would advise against harsher modalities like deep tissue and even hot stone could be a bit much right off the bat, although, hot stone is an excellent modality if you can't tolerate the pressure that deep tissue utilizes.
          Acupuncture Acupuncture can do wonders for many different conditions. I've used it to treat anxiety and am having my dog treated for arthritis and other ailments. I know some that use it for chronic pain, and others for weight-loss. Talk to a professional for their recommendation and if it's right for you.
          Meditation Because it can be just as calming and relaxing on it's own as it can be a tool to contact a deity or spirit. It's about the approach and intent.
          Walking Good for circulation and clearing and focusing the mind.
          Running/Exercising Not to mention healthy.
          Yoga Kind of a combination of exercise and clearing the mind.
          Breathing Exercises Getting that oxygen into the bloodstream can seriously do wonders for our body.
          Change of Diet It's possible you could have a dietary trigger or sensitivity. Finding out what that is could be a key piece of the puzzle.
          A Hot Bath*
          *Be careful with essential oils, though. There are some that contain neurotoxins and other convulsive components which could trigger an episode rather than prevent it. Read up on the scents you want to use to make sure it's safe.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

My college psychologist taught me that you have a certain muscle that tenses up first when you're stressed- for him it was his jaw, for me it's my shoulders or my hands. If you learn to be constantly aware of that muscle, and learn stretches to loosen it up, it prevents the stress from physically spreading, and it loosens up on your mind too.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I just found this (sorry, I don't know how to resize it)SpaceEgg.jpg

Comment

I do remember there was a practice known as "Scream therapy" that I heard about back in the 80's,or might have been the 70's

Found here.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I've got a lot to try and being active is definitely, I think, one stress-relaxation technique I need to try more. Thanks again.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Laughter can release some tension too. Do you like doctor who? Because I just remembered this and had to share it
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Working...