Oh no! Blasphemy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no! Blasphemy!

It seems that asking totally rational questions leads to an investigation about "defamation" in Ireland.

This little thingy caused a bit of an uproars when it was aired on Irish TV:

Fortunately, there was a highly intelligent, thoughtful individual all ready with a response:

(The dude's response to Fry is in the first four minutes, the rest is another dude's response to the first dude. You can watch it if you want, but it's the first dude I'm interested in. I wanted to be reasonable and show both viewpoints)
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Oh no! Blasphemy!

The problem with Russell Brand's idea is (while I don't disagree with it actually) is that "why does this one thing work when it could have gone wrong so many other ways" as an argument for creation completely ignores the fact that maybe those other non-working things do exist (that would be the multi-verse hypothesis right there). Maybe there is a universe of just hydrogen atoms...its just obviously not the one we are in. the thing is, its not a scientific idea. Basing one's beliefs in a creator based on a supposed statistical unlikeliness based on mathematical assumptions when there's a 100% success rate of the thing supposedly created is a bit of a logical fallacy, and is intellectually dishonest no matter how much one wants to believe in it... Nor does it account for the fact that the atheist rejection of a conceptualization of god based on Judeo-Christian-Islamic monotheism is a very specific response, religiously speaking...and one that I happen to also agree with even though I'm not an atheist.
    Last edited by thalassa; 13 May 2017, 08:17.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      The problem with Russell Brand's idea is (while I don't disagree with it actually) is that "why does this one thing work when it could have gone wrong so many other ways" as an argument for creation completely ignores the fact that maybe those other non-working things do exist (that would be the multi-verse hypothesis right there). Maybe there is a universe of just hydrogen atoms...its just obviously not the one we are in.
      Another possibility is that there may be pre-conditions that existed prior to the moment of "creation" of which we are not aware (and probobly never will be, since the conditions existing before creation would be beyond our ability to grasp, just as quantum mechanics is beyond our ability to grasp) that lead to the creation of a particular type of universe with specific parameters.

The bottom line is that a universe that functions as this one does does not lead to the conclusion that this universe was made by god. Too many other alternate hypothesis to consider.

Nor does it account for the fact that the atheist rejection of a conceptualization of god based on Judeo-Christian-Islamic monotheism is a very specific response, religiously speaking...and one that I happen to also agree with even though I'm not an atheist.
      Yup. By redefining "God" he failed to respond to Fry. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but he didn't actually respond to the argument Fry was putting forth. Notice Fry said that, if he discovered that the Greek gods were real, he wouldn't be as disturbed, since nobody calls those deities omniscient, omnipotent, and beneficent.
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 14 May 2017, 16:48.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Perhaps life just figured out a way to exist in this universe the way that it did, and in another universe with slightly altered "settings" it developed and adapted differently. Did I just pass the buck?
        In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Perhaps we shouldn't be so concerned about how the universe was created when we can't even find the effing turn signal in our cars.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
          X