The U.K. General Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The U.K. General Election

Tomorrow(June 8) the U.K. will be holding it's general election. The leading "candidates" for Prime Minister are Theresa May who is head of the Conservative Party and Jeremy Corbyn who is head of the Labour Party. The reason I use candidates in quotations is that PM's aren't elected as Presidents are in the USA. The general election decides who holds the 650 seats of Parliament. The leader of whichever party holds the most seats in Parliament becomes Prime Minister. Corbyn's rise is very Sanders-esque despite Corbyn being much further Left than Bernie Sanders. The lead Theresa May held over Corbyn has shrunk considerably in the months leading up to the election due to a wave of Left Wing populism that has risen behind the Labour party leader. The media parallels are uncanny as well. Most mainstream outlets have completely discounted a Corbyn victory and have printed a lot of anti-Corbyn propaganda the year leading up to the election.

A quick explanation of what exactly is happening tomorrow.

Re: The U.K. General Election

Another election,and left or right gets control. And as the WHO sang,(hoping)"We wont be fooled again" and "New boss,same as the old boss"

And there is this:
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Actually Corbyn isn't all that far left. It's just that the conservatives have gone so far to the right. This election could be such a close call that it might be some of the smaller parties such as the Scottish Nationalists who will hold the balance of power. In 2010 David Cameron only became PM with the support of the Liberal Democrat Party (which has since been almost wiped out.)

This song 'Liar Liar' actually went right up the charts but the BBC has refused to play it 'in the interests of impartiality.' They see nothing wrong with echoing fake news stories about Corbyn though. Apparently that doesn't count.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

By "much further Left than Bernie Sanders" I didn't mean he was far-Left. Just that he is further Left than Bernie Sanders who is a Centrist. And he has pushed the party back towards the Left after the disaster that Tony Blair was.
        Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 07 Jun 2017, 13:57.

Comment

You know I might post this. Just because it seems a historical feeling of some.
          Sex Pistols,"God save the Queen"

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

The election is a joke. The Tories clearly don't want to win. May has realised how hard Brexit negotiations are going to be. She knows there's no way to get a deal that won't be hugely unpopular with voters. So it's easier to call an election, produce a manifesto that upsets your core supporters and try to look surprised when you lose. Then at the next election you get to point the finger at Labour for making a mess of Brexit and get back into power when running the country is easier. Okay, this is just my opinion but I've felt this since Theresa May called the election, and everything she's said and done since then has just reinforced this belief.

I actually support the Green Party but there has never been a Green candidate for the Tynemouth constituency, that I fall into so I always vote Labour (they're a good substitute). My mum was a Labour councillor and deputy mayor, my step mum was mayor of Darlington and my step sister is a Labour MP (at least at the time of writing, she might not be after tomorrow!) so I'm from a strong Labour family.

I wasn't keen on Corbyn to begin with but he has really shown himself to be a capable politician in the past few weeks. What has really bothered me is not Corbyn but the behaviour of some of his supporters. I've seen some very hateful and aggressive posts from people I believed to be sensible and civilised individuals. I don't want to be associated with those attitudes and it almost put me off from voting Labour. How dare anyone tell me if I vote for any party besides Labour I'm as good as a nazi. Like it or not, he DID support the IRA. He might have been well-meaning (wanting a peaceful resolution to the conflict; he seems to value all human life, even that of those who kill and while I disagree, I also kinda respect that). The fact is, he's as imperfect as any other party leader, yet some people are talking about him as if he's sime kind of messiah; as if he'll change the world if we elect him. I doubt that. Life would get better than it has been under the Tories for sure. He would fight for all the changes he's promised, that much I can believe, but it's unlikely that he'll be able to change our country as much as people believe he can. I'd really like to be proved wrong though, so my local MP, Alan Campbell, will be getting my cross tomorrow morning.

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              yet some people are talking about him as if he's sime kind of messiah;
              Dunno what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                Dunno what you're talking about.

This is great!! Thanks for the lol.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                  By "much further Left than Bernie Sanders" I didn't mean he was far-Left. Just that he is further Left than Bernie Sanders who is a Centrist. And he has pushed the party back towards the Left after the disaster that Tony Blair was.
                  Sorry - I misunderstood. And of course Corbyn IS often accused in the UK of being 'loony left' which he isn't... and Tony Blair of course was really just Tory-lite
                  Thank you for the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    I actually support the Green Party but there has never been a Green candidate for the Tynemouth constituency, that I fall into so I always vote Labour (they're a good substitute).
                    Or so I thought... when I got to the polling station this morning, there was a green candidate! (Apparently she has run for Tynemouth before). I'm kind of annoyed actually because the Greens had said they wouldn't run in this election to give Labour a chance. Getting the Tories out meant more to them than gaining seats. Apparently at the last minute, when they saw how well Labour were doing in the polls, they changed their mind and decided to stand after all.

I chose to stick with my plan and voted Labour. I know I'm only one vote, but in this particular election I wanted to vote for the party that actually has a chance of knocking May out of number 10.

Now I've had time to think about it, I'm quite disillusioned by the Greens for taking the moral high ground and then changing their minds at the last minute.

Comment

I would sell you a hardly used Donald Trump brain and for only your two cents worth of concern Jem.

Good luck with the election.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        I would sell you a hardly used Donald Trump brain and for only your two cents worth of concern Jem.

Good luck with the election.
                        Yeah, I guess it could be worse! I'm at work tonight and strapping myself in to watch things unfold.

Comment

And it seems this election will end in a "hung Parliament".

Comment

Could well do. But it's been amazing, all said and done. The day before polling the papers were claiming a landslide for the Tories. Now a hung Parliament or at best a very dodgy coalition... and of course Theresa May's position as leader is being called into question by her own party.

Never underestimate The Corbyn.

Comment

Oh you Brits,always trying to outdo Monty Python...or even Benny Hill.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X