Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticks

Originally posted by Shahaku
    To reawaken a fossil. We got back last Thursday. We had to leave early because our toddler got heat exhaustion and dehydration badly enough that she almost had to go to the hospital. Thankfully a medic friend who knew the signs we didn't saw what was happening and got her to the medic tent asap. We weren't with her at the time (she was in childcare center) and it really shook us up. Medic tent got her cooled down fast, and pumped her full of water, and she perked right up to where she was playing when we arrived.

I'm also somewhat freaked out that I may have lyme disease now. I'm going to the doc tomorrow for a round rash spreading from a bug bite I have (I'm more freaked out that it's been steadily spreading for 4 days now). I don't remember a tick there, but I literally was pulling 2 or 3 a day off of me, and many more that didn't implant. That being said, we tick checked often and I'm probably overreacting, but don't want to chance it.

And all of that being said, we still want to go back next year, though maybe in a camper.
    My ex had Lyme a while back here in NJ..I am not sure of the symptoms. I read about a tick,whose bite causes you to be allergic to meat of all things.(I think that was mid west somewhere. Question: did you pull the tick off. As a kid we were told to use a cig,or hot stick to make it back out,so you don't leave part of its head in there.(No expert,and they are everywhere they said,more than an ordinary year.
    Last edited by Juniper; 29 Jun 2017, 21:58. Reason: Split from PSG thread and added quote for relevance
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Pagan Spirit Gathering.

Anymore they recommend pulling them out with steady pressure. Scaring them out with heat or chemicals can make them regurgitate what they've pulled out of you plus whatever else is in their stomach increasing the chance of infection. So we pulled them out. All the ones I pulled out were intact. The allergic to meat thing wouldn't bother me so much. Vegetarian. But lyme disease is a little scary.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

A Tick Bite Could Make You Allergic to Meat—and It's Spreading

Yeah, ticks are way bad this year. Despite taking precautions (spraying shoes, socks, legs, pants) I still pick tics after every walk.

If you show the bulls eye rash of early lyme disease, see the Dr right away. It is easier to deal with in the early stage.

Also, for dogs, tics can cause paralysis. Id goes away when the tic is gone, but if you have a dog, be aware that paralysis is possible, and it can be misdiagnosed as something incurable.
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 26 Jun 2017, 01:17.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        A Tick Bite Could Make You Allergic to Meat—and It's Spreading

Yeah, ticks are way bad this year. Despite taking precautions (spraying shoes, socks, legs, pants) I still pick tics after every walk.

If you show the bulls eye rash of early lyme disease, see the Dr right away. It is easier to deal with in the early stage.

Also, for dogs, tics can cause paralysis. Id goes away when the tic is gone, but if you have a dog, be aware that paralysis is possible, and it can be misdiagnosed as something incurable.
        This brings to mind the question: What happens if the meat allergy get a say,mountain lion,or even your house cat. Cats must have meat to survive,so do they die from lack of meat?

And the facts.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Re: Ticks

I developed Lyme Disease on the Appalachian Trail in 2015. The bulls eye rash doesn't show up in all cases. Mine didn't. I ended up getting sick enough that I hitchiked off the trail to the nearest VA and luckily caught it in time before it could become chronic.

I actually consider the tick to be the most dangerous woodland creature on the East Coast. I know a lot of long distance hikers. I dont know any thats been attacked by a bear. I don't know any that's been bitten by a snake. I don't know any that's been charged by a moose. But I know a shit ton of hikers with Lyme Disease.

Comment

I'm on the antibiotics now that cover almost everything. So either way, I should be fine. The doc diagnosed me with cellulitis, and while I've heard a lot of awful things, she hasn't seemed that concerned, since we caught it early and I didn't let it go.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Peppermint will keep ticks away and cause them or back out of the skin. If your pets can tolerate it use it in your yard and on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                Peppermint will keep ticks away and cause them or back out of the skin. If your pets can tolerate it use it in your yard and on them.
                You don't want to put peppermint directly on an embedded tick. It will cause them to first try to burrow deeper in an effort to get away from the substance. Then they'll regurgitate everything in their stomach into your skin leading to a much higher rate of infection. It's much quicker and simple to gently and slowly but firmly pull them straight out and that's the path with the lowest infection rate.

Otherwise yes, peppermint is a great tick deterrent.

Comment

Working...
                X