Thread: Hand Gestures and Practice

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

Hand Gestures and Practice

As I'm laying here in bed getting ready to go to sleep, part of my self rediscovery is to get myself back into the practice of saying a short prayer before drifting off. But before I was able to even start, I was stopped by a curious thought. Are there any hand motions or gestures used to begin and end a prayer? Christians will perform the "sign of the cross" by touching their forehead, chest, left shoulder, then right shoulder as a start and finish of their supplications.

I tried to search for something similar for Northern Trad but found nothing though I can't help but thinking there had to be something. So I wanted to ask ... is there something you do along those lines? And if so, what?
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Hand Gestures and Practice

Interventions for 'the folk' were usually made palms uppermost with the back of the hands resting on the knees (prayer was usually done while sitting down in this instance).
    The palm uppermost method was common in the ROman Empire too, but that could be done while standing.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Re: Hand Gestures and Practice

Truthfully don't recall where I read it now but though both Roman and Hellene did palm up for celestial and palm down for Chthonic when praying, making libations and offerings. Same with altars being on raised altars for celestial and sacrificial sunken pits or depressions for chthonic gods / goddesses. Not sure about Etruscan though I believe they held the same or similar concepts about celestial and chthonic locations for gods / goddesses. Especially those such as Artumes who is seen as the Hellene Artemis for instance.
    Last edited by monsno_leedra; 24 Jul 2017 at 06:24.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!