Experiences with Freyja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences with Freyja

As the title suggests, I'm looking to hear a little bit of others interactions and dealings with Freyja. I've been noticed a few things as of late that I sort of think may be her way of trying to get my attention but I'm unsure how to go about it or what to expect. Things such as an increased sexual appetite, hawks constantly around when I'm driving and in such I way that I can't miss them, dreams and memories of a past loved one from out of no where, things such as that.

With tomorrow being her day of the week, I thought perhaps it would be a good time to reach out and see if, in fact, she has been vying for my attentions. I've never worked with or even did anything regarding her save in passing, nor am I familiar with dealing with feminine deities so ... any thoughts or ideas are most welcome!
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Re: Experiences with Freyja

I have never worked with Freyja, so I'm afraid I do not have any detailed advice. However, I would say that the one thing I always feel would be important with her would be not to pigeonhole her. Freyja is a complex deity with multiple 'jobs' and spheres of influence. I think it's important to realise that and to accept that she may not present to you in the way you expect or hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
      I have never worked with Freyja, so I'm afraid I do not have any detailed advice. However, I would say that the one thing I always feel would be important with her would be not to pigeonhole her. Freyja is a complex deity with multiple 'jobs' and spheres of influence. I think it's important to realise that and to accept that she may not present to you in the way you expect or hope for.
      And so it is with each and every one of the Northern gods, I've noticed. So many hats, so many different directions that each of them need to look. I left an offering of flowers upon my altar, offered my thoughts and awareness to show that I was open to contact, then left it alone from there. I had drawn Isa for the day in the morning and so took that as a sign to slow down and wait. OF course, that is probably the one aspect of myself that is the hardest to do. I am, all in all, impatient.
      "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

So it's been about a month since I made the original post here and figured if anyone cared I wanted to give a bit of an update as to how things went. After all the dreams, the animal sightings, the urges, and my offering to her, it seems as though things have truly come to light. After that first day, I was annoyed. Since my altar is outside the only thing I got from my offering and prayers was poison ivy. Thanks, Freyja. Really appreciate it. But perhaps in a way it was her idea of setting out a time frame for what was to come than an irritation.

By the time the entirety of the blisters had formed over the first week, I had found myself taking steps to be more open to the possibilities of her realms of influence. I randomly joined a few sites, looked around, but did not see much of any interest. It was a step, but it was futile. The sightings and dreams continued.

By the end of the second week, I had become to feel more confident in my choices, a little more daring with taking the chance to approach some people, and while there was little to no response, again, it was still a step forward. I couldn't figure out why I kept dreaming about that one particular person. I kept thinking I would still hear from them or see them, but nothing.

Third week as everything was fading, on that friday I paid my daily visit to my altar and talked to the Gods. I don't pray so much as simply talk, clear my mind, just let them know that I know they are there. On this day, a song came into my head. (Scorpions, "Send Me An Angel") So instead of talking, I simpy stood there and sang the song. That night, I noticed a personal ad on one of hte sites that I had clearly overlooked for hte past few days but for some reason it stood out. I met that person last weekend and we ended up having an 11 hour date. Lunch, walking through some little shops, drinks, listening to a live band, more drinks, talking ...

Everyone hopes that when the gods respond or they try to get your attention, it's done in a way that makes sense or is quick and easy to understand. The dreams and the person in them I now realise were to just get my attention, to focus and ask why. So I think I get Freyja. She won't be subtle if she wants you to pay attention, but she also will do things on her time table only. She listens and speaks, but not in the loud and boisterous ways one would expect from a Northern Trad diety.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post

Everyone hopes that when the gods respond or they try to get your attention, it's done in a way that makes sense or is quick and easy to understand. The dreams and the person in them I now realise were to just get my attention, to focus and ask why. So I think I get Freyja. She won't be subtle if she wants you to pay attention, but she also will do things on her time table only. She listens and speaks, but not in the loud and boisterous ways one would expect from a Northern Trad diety.
          I've found that to be so true about so many deities, not that I don't believe people who have had big profound encounters.

I've just found it takes time to quiet our own inner voice that might sway our perception, once we do that the subtlest communication comes through clear.

I really enjoyed reading all this, thanks for sharing the experience.
          “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Comment

Thank you! It's been an interesting few weeks/months but it is exciting to be beginning to work with a new diety. She's been much less "Shut up and pay attention" than what I've been used to so it's an interesting process.

Comment

Working...
            X