Warrior lady viking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior lady viking

A skeleton, found in the grave of a viking warrior (the Birka Warrior) was believed, for about 100 years, to be a male because it was surrounded by weapons and other article of a war leader.

Recently, however, DNA testing proves that it is the skeleton of a female.

So, ladies, don't let anybody tell you that you can't do what a tough man can do.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Warrior lady viking

I saw that yesterday it's cool. Wonder how many others they've just assumed are male might turn out to be female too.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Viking Age Scandinavia was generally a pretty good time to be a (free) woman. You could fight, be buried as a warrior, own your own land, get divorced and even end up an earl in certain circumstances. All while women in the rest of Europe were pretty much chattel being traded via marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        ...All while women in the rest of Europe were pretty much chattel being traded via marriage.
        Unless they were poor, in which case the rich guys just raped them.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Here's a picture of the burial:

And, of course (because you can't make actual fer-sure statements based on the available evidence) the exact reason why the woman was buried as she was is open to conjecture.

Applying Occam's Razor, though, I'd say she probably was a warrior, until additional info comes in.

Comment

Working...
          X