X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again, racist viking myth proved mythic

‘Allah’ Is Found on Viking Funeral Clothes

From the article:

The next stage of the project includes the DNA analysis of human remains found in Viking graves, including the skeleton in Boat Grave 36. The results are expected in February 2018.

“When we get the results from the DNA analysis, I think we will be able to see that some of them have a Central Asian heritage,” Dr. Larsson said.

Not everyone accepted Dr. Larsson’s interpretation. She said she had been interviewed by an extreme right-wing publication questioning the exhibition and her reading of the material.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Once again, racist viking myth proved mythic

We've known that nordic people had contact with the arabs for quite awhile now. It's hardly surprising given that both are exploring peoples. For example the article even mentions Ibn Fadlan who wrote some of the better documents regarding the vikings in the volga river valley, aka the Kievan Rus. It's not an uncommon meeting, though one that most would consider unexpected. Though, I'd caution that thinking of the nords as tolerant and open isn't correct either. Ibn Fadlan's accountings are filled with racist undertones on both sides. There was contact and cultural exchange, but the degree of acceptance of this surly varied by location. The notion of a pure race is a myth for tons of reasons but, racism (or at least ethnic discrimination, which might be more accurate) has existed essentially forever.
    “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
    Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
    -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Rather than a term like "ethnic discrimination," I'd use the term "tribalism." The Norse were not a single cohesive group - they are a loosely defined category that was spread over a large swatch of the earth, with different customs, traditions, beliefs, attitudes, socially-sactioned behaviors, etc., much like the Celts.

These groups did not always get along with eachother, and (although I don't know for sure) I very much doubt if they always considered other groups that we, in the present, tend to lump into a single category, as being "like us."

That's tribalism, not ethnicity.
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 21 Oct 2017, 07:48.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        Rather than a term like "ethnic discrimination," I'd use the term "tribalism." The Norse were not a single cohesive group - they are a loosely defined category that was spread over a large swatch of the earth, with different customs, traditions, beliefs, attitudes, socially-sactioned behaviors, etc., much like the Celts.

These groups did not always get along with eachother, and (although I don't know for sure) I very much doubt if they always considered other groups that we, in the present, tend to lump into a single category, as being "like us."

That's tribalism, not ethnicity.
        On that same note, isn't this also the case amongst native American tribes?
        “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
          On that same note, isn't this also the case amongst native American tribes?
          I think you get the same concept with the German (Teutonic) tribes. Many individual tribes with unique traits and identities though they shared some common ancestor heritages. Yet tended to be at war or conflict with one another except when confronted with a greater foe that caused them to unite for a common cause. Though historically they didn't stay untied once the catalyst was defeated and removed. So individually each tribal group did what was best for it's own survival and interest.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Muslims see Allah in everything. The writing is not clear and may be just a design that is being interpreted as Arabic.
            Last edited by WyvernWorship; 19 Aug 2018, 11:26.

Comment

Working...
            X