Page 106 of 164 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1639

Thread: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Me too. I don't know if I've changed mine in ten years.

Also, this month marks year ten for me and MO! Happy PF'aversary, Masked

It does mark 10 years, doesn't it?

Happy PF'aversary!!!

Regarding avis, I just rarely get tired of them I think is the third or fourth I've used since joining and it's been constant for about 5 years now if not longer.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Happy PFaversary Guys!
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Happy PFaversary!

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

oct 2020 10 years for me,yeh
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Pagan/ witch

I'm thinking that it's been too long since I took a walk through the forest. My excuse of course is not enough time. New job, house to clean, groceries to do and then what time do you have left? And of course if I do find the time, it's either raining or storming. But now that winter is over, I'll try to go more often. No more excuses!
    Last edited by Eleanor; 09 Mar 2019 at 07:34.
    Wherever you are in life is exactly where you need to be right now.

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Is it "y'all" or "ya'll"?
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

I've been thinking about the procession of my impending journey into the wilderness for a year and a day to reconnect with Nature and eventually build a homestead; I just want to run into the woods butt-naked, and emerge a man 366 days later haha. I know; it does sound a tad unrealistic, but I feel it's necessary for my spiritual growth; I've been virtually wilting as the result of living in the middle of a city. I don't like the idea that, no matter where I am throughout my day, even within my own home, there's always someone within a hundred foot radius of me. All the people, noises, and electrical humming and buzzing is starting to get to me.

The first order of business will be to build myself a fire; once that's done I can keep myself warm as I go about crafting a Wikiup by pulling a grouping of small trees and twigs together to form a dome shape, then clearing out the interior of the dome, then gathering up mud and leaves to pile up onto the outside of the Wikiup; it's an ancient Native American shelter.

I'll be living mostly on plants and insects at the start, as I won't have any hunting tools with me, and insects are, pound for pound, far more nutritious for humans than animal flesh; crickets in particular are pretty good to eat. The location I choose will also have to have a nearby freshwater stream, ideally one that runs over a bunch of small rocks to help keep the water crystal clear, clean, and safe for drinking without any purification or preparation in advance.

That would then provide the three things I will absolutely need in order to survive; food, water, and shelter. My next order of business would be to start flintknapping some stone tools, particularly a knife, as I can then use that stone blade to gather the fibrous inner bark of the trees around me, separating the fibers, then braiding them into cordage that can be used to help create clothing for myself as well as more shelters, ascending upwards, or descending downwards, greatly improving my traversal abilities; it can also be used to form bridges across bodies of water. With clothing, food, water, shelter, stone tools and cordage, I'd then be able to set out finding a nice source of clay which I could mold and harden in my fire in order to form dishes such as bowls, plates and spoons; from there, the quality of my food will greatly increase, as I will then be able to make a delicious soup consisting of various plants and insects all cooked up, boiled and ready to chow down, adding wild berries for improving of the flavor. Mmmm, nummy.

After establishing a nice Stone Age set up, I'll then have acquired enough resources to start moving into the Bronze Age. Making a kiln and bloomery out of clay, wood, and animal hide to craft the pump in order for the coals to reach the heat necessary to melt copper; after locating a source of tin, I'd then be able to smelt the copper and tin together in order to make bronze; then I'll be able to start making higher quality tools, weapons, utensils and dishes; probably some jewelry too, (ya gotta have bling after all hahaha). After I've got all my bronze tools manufactured, I'll be able to set out towards locating iron ore and smelting that into even better tools, effectively arriving into the Iron Age.

They'll be a lush garden, and a nice little farm. I'll also have to tame a wild horse at some point; this can be done by jumping onto it's back while it's near a river, and then doing ones best to steer the beast safely across the river; this will establish a sense of trust in the horse; kind of like how they did things back in the old days; it's all about convincing the horse that their chances of survival will only increase if they team up with you. Once I have a horse, my traversal abilities will be increased exponentially! I'll be well on my way to being a fully fledged, free, independent human being, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the Modern Age. Ahhh....it's gonna be great.

...It'll probably kinda suck in the beginning though when I'm not much more than a hairless naked ape man pounding rocks together hahaha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    It's "y'all".

The apostrophe is used as a substitute for letters, such as in the word "can't"; the apostrophe fills the place of the "o" in "not"; as in "can not".

In the case of "y'all" the apostrophe substitutes the letters "o" and ​"u", so instead of "you all", it becomes "y'all".
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 09 Mar 2019 at 17:24.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Sollomyn View Post
    I've been thinking about the procession of my impending journey into the wilderness for a year and a day to reconnect with Nature and eventually build a homestead; I just want to run into the woods butt-naked, and emerge a man 366 days later haha. I know; it does sound a tad unrealistic, but I feel it's necessary for my spiritual growth; I've been virtually wilting as the result of living in the middle of a city. I don't like the idea that, no matter where I am throughout my day, even within my own home, there's always someone within a hundred foot radius of me. All the people, noises, and electrical humming and buzzing is starting to get to me.

The first order of business will be to build myself a fire; once that's done I can keep myself warm as I go about crafting a Wikiup by pulling a grouping of small trees and twigs together to form a dome shape, then clearing out the interior of the dome, then gathering up mud and leaves to pile up onto the outside of the Wikiup; it's an ancient Native American shelter.

I'll be living mostly on plants and insects at the start, as I won't have any hunting tools with me, and insects are, pound for pound, far more nutritious for humans than animal flesh; crickets in particular are pretty good to eat. The location I choose will also have to have a nearby freshwater stream, ideally one that runs over a bunch of small rocks to help keep the water crystal clear, clean, and safe for drinking without any purification or preparation in advance.

That would then provide the three things I will absolutely need in order to survive; food, water, and shelter. My next order of business would be to start flintknapping some stone tools, particularly a knife, as I can then use that stone blade to gather the fibrous inner bark of the trees around me, separating the fibers, then braiding them into cordage that can be used to help create clothing for myself as well as more shelters, ascending upwards, or descending downwards, greatly improving my traversal abilities; it can also be used to form bridges across bodies of water. With clothing, food, water, shelter, stone tools and cordage, I'd then be able to set out finding a nice source of clay which I could mold and harden in my fire in order to form dishes such as bowls, plates and spoons; from there, the quality of my food will greatly increase, as I will then be able to make a delicious soup consisting of various plants and insects all cooked up, boiled and ready to chow down, adding wild berries for improving of the flavor. Mmmm, nummy.

After establishing a nice Stone Age set up, I'll then have acquired enough resources to start moving into the Bronze Age. Making a kiln and bloomery out of clay, wood, and animal hide to craft the pump in order for the coals to reach the heat necessary to melt copper; after locating a source of tin, I'd then be able to smelt the copper and tin together in order to make bronze; then I'll be able to start making higher quality tools, weapons, utensils and dishes; probably some jewelry too, (ya gotta have bling after all hahaha). After I've got all my bronze tools manufactured, I'll be able to set out towards locating iron ore and smelting that into even better tools, effectively arriving into the Iron Age.

They'll be a lush garden, and a nice little farm. I'll also have to tame a wild horse at some point; this can be done by jumping onto it's back while it's near a river, and then doing ones best to steer the beast safely across the river; this will establish a sense of trust in the horse; kind of like how they did things back in the old days; it's all about convincing the horse that their chances of survival will only increase if they team up with you. Once I have a horse, my traversal abilities will be increased exponentially! I'll be well on my way to being a fully fledged, free, independent human being, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the Modern Age. Ahhh....it's gonna be great.

...It'll probably kinda suck in the beginning though when I'm not much more than a hairless naked ape man pounding rocks together hahaha.

- - - Updated - - -

It's "y'all".

The apostrophe is used as a substitute for letters, such as in the word "can't"; the apostrophe fills the place of the "o" in "not"; as in "can not".

In the case of "y'all" the apostrophe substitutes the letters "o" and ​"u", so instead of "you all", it becomes "y'all".
    I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but as someone who is experienced in living an outdoor life...it makes a nice fantasy, but there is so much more to it than this.

Try camping for the weekend first. Living off the land is not as easy as you are making it out to sound. If you build your shelter wrong, you die. If you can't find fresh food and water, you die. If you get a minor cut, and it becomes infected, and you stay out there and don't bring medicine with you, you will die. If you eat the wrong plant, insect, mushroom, or animal organ, you may die.

Do you know all of the edible plants and animals in your region, and more importantly, which to avoid? Have you ever actually started a fire without tools (this is not as easy as you think)? Does your region have winter and how will you get through it? Does your climate allow for naked living, and if so, how will you fend off the insects? Have you ever flintknapped, and do you even know which stones to do it to?

Like I said, it's a nice fantasy. But that's all it is.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Yeah....halfway through your post I started picturing Tom Hanks in Castaway. It makes for great movies, but the reality is much more grim.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    "You'uns"...
    Last edited by Rick; 09 Mar 2019 at 20:13.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.