What are you think 2017 to 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

What's WOOFing? (I'm picturing dogs picking vegetables...) I had a couple of lovely tomatoes growing in pots on my deck a few years ago, but the squirrels got them.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      What's WOOFing? (I'm picturing dogs picking vegetables...) I had a couple of lovely tomatoes growing in pots on my deck a few years ago, but the squirrels got them.
      Worldwide Organization for Organic Farming - it's an organization that sources volunteer farmers in different countries, they do labour for you, in exchange for room and board (and periodically a small stipend). I haven't done it in a decade, but it used to be super popular amongst young, hippie-type travelers who want to experience the world, but cheaply and on a local scale.

I had mixed experiences doing it in India, but I would do it again elsewhere. If you remember Bjorn at all, she did it for YEARS. She just bummed around the US living farm to farm - sometimes staying at some places for six months or so.
      “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

I just discovered there’s a Nart Sagas webcomic, and I’m thrilled to be honest.

For those unfamiliar, the Nart Sagas are a corpus of epics from the Northern Caucasus region. Geographically, you can think of the Caucasus as a mountainous borderland between southwest Russia and the Middle East. The sagas are fascinating because they offer a glimpse of North Caucasus culture, with a strong foundation of influences from the Alans (you may know the Alans as one of the barbarian tribes who migrated with the Vandals during the collapse of the Roman Empire.) A portion of them actually stayed behind in the Caucasus region, and became the modern day Ossetians. Many of the Nart heroes have Ossetian names. There actually was a Kingdom called “Alania” in the Caucasus until the Mongols arrived.

The Alans are interesting to me, because they’re part of the broader family of Scythian or Scytho-Sarmatian cultures that once wandered the Eurasian steppes as nomadic pastoralists. Like the Mongols and Huns- but long before them. Any way, that goes some way to explain the cultural relevance of these sagas. The culture preserved in them has some very unique elements, but also some similarities to other Eurasian cultures and their mythologies. For instance, the story of Sozruquo’s birth is remarkably similar to that of Achilles. On the other hand the portrayal of women as warriors is more prominent than in many cultures, and likely reflects Sarmatian/Alanic culture.
        Last edited by Yazichestvo; 06 Jun 2020, 07:56.
        If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
          Worldwide Organization for Organic Farming - it's an organization that sources volunteer farmers in different countries, they do labour for you, in exchange for room and board (and periodically a small stipend). I haven't done it in a decade, but it used to be super popular amongst young, hippie-type travelers who want to experience the world, but cheaply and on a local scale.

I had mixed experiences doing it in India, but I would do it again elsewhere. If you remember Bjorn at all, she did it for YEARS. She just bummed around the US living farm to farm - sometimes staying at some places for six months or so.
          Thanks! That sounds really cool.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Dog sitting. We've currently got my bosses pup while the are away on vacation. He's a treat, he gets my two old men moving and a shaking.

I had to rehome one of my chickens this past weekend. She I mean he started crowing last Wednesday. My little silkie rooster had the tiniest crows ever! But he was relentless once he started. Luckily him and his best hen went to live at my friends farm with her flock. I could have just sent him but decided since they were kind enough to give him a good home and spoil him rotten I could part with a hen that would be laying soon as well and help pay his room and board.

I got my first zucchini out of the garden with the promise of more of them and squash. Cucumbers and okra might be quick to follow, and my proudest accomplishment is my two corn stalks I planted! I've got like 2 ears of corn!! Next year I'll add another 4x8 bed and add carrots, cabbages, and broccoli to it. My asparagus should be old enough to start cutting next year but I'll wait and see.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

• What are you think 2017 to 2020

destination thread
              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
              X