Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
    His exact words were "no I allow my members to choose their own as long as it's not a evil or dangerous path" Like that's how he lead off, and it really really rubbed me wrong that he used the words "ALLOWS his members", and I guess he has that mind set because he is the high priest of the coven that he set up. I should have asked for clarification if he allows them to worship who they want during say full moon ritual but has a set pantheon for ritual but I was trying to quickly exit the conversation. But what you are describing is basically what I envisioned.

I was really looking for an established coven and thats not what I got from him.

I'm....

Yeah, I got nothin. I mean sure, sure within the ritual space, allowing or disallowing is both relevant and appropriate. A ritual to honor Zeus does not need random Gospel music and one could argue that past a certain point, a given space does not need to be shared by multiple pantheons at all so a given space dedicated toward the Powers of Olympus should never actually see the aforementioned random Gospel music. Outside the ritual space things get murkier. What baffles me is that at first glance, this guy appears to believe that he has the authority to allow or disallow outside the ritual space but can't be assed to use it in the ritual space where it clearly should be used. I'm just confused.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
      Good luck on the job! I'm very sure you will do great on it! On the coven issue, what kind of coven do you think you are going to start?
      I want to explore the relationship between the lay and monastic community and how it can be applied to pagan communities. The way we're mostly set up now, if you want any sort of formal training, you have to join a coven and go on the path of becoming a priest/ess. I've seen people flat out say that you can't be pagan and not be a priest/ess. We're sorely lacking in monastic groups willing to support our lay community. That means members of our community who don't feel able to commit to coven level involvement end up being solo and sometimes (probably often) have gaps in their knowledge or experiences.

So I want to build a coven who is a monastic group supporting our local lay community at whatever level they are willing to go. It wouldn't be that different than a CUUP's group with the leadership team, accept that CUUPs has to answer to a local church. That create's issues with funds, leadership roles, access, etc.

In general, we're grateful to the UU for providing us with a free place to meet, but we often feel like a third wheel to the church community, and that they sometimes view us as inferior. That could totally be a local problem with our particular church, but it is a problem in our community.

One way to address all that is to start a coven that would serve a similar function but also would be independent of the restrictions that are involved with being part of the UU.

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
      You'll kill it, I have faith in your abilities.

There's a UU Church in Jackson that has a coven connected to it however I've reached out to them to find out about open rituals and just general information because I would enjoy participating in group rituals but the High Priest really couldn't give me derivatives besides he allowed his coven members to worship whatever pantheon they wanted. So I've decided to stay solitary for a while longer.
      Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sorry that your local CUUPs High Priest isn't particularly helpful or isn't what you need. I recently joined a group online called Spells of Magic. They have various online covens. I'm not sure it'll work out for me, but I thought it was worth looking into since I haven't really been satisfied with local groups. Maybe if I do go ahead with the above, though that's probably at least a year or so off.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I pulled my back again. The doctor is going to have the spine institute call me. I also went today to see my tattoo artist for a consultation. My fourth tattoo with my tattoo artist is going to be of my dog Trini Belle. It's going to be about 5 inches and on my right shoulder. We had to work some things out and I had to send him the picture by email so he could detail the picture. He's going to do my tattoo at the Tattoo Expo! It's going to be really cool!
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I was lying in a burned out basement
          With the full moon in my eyes
          I was hoping for replacement
          When the sun burst through the sky
          There was a band playing in my head
          And I felt like getting high
          I was thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie
          Thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying
          In the yellow haze of the sun
          There were children crying and colors flying
          All around the chosen ones
          All in a dream, all in a dream
          The loading had begun
          Flying Mother Nature's silver seed to a new home in the sun
          Same old same old.

People head for the stars while rot festers on earth.

Humans!

Gotta love 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

I was lying in a burned out basement
          With the full moon in my eyes
          I was hoping for replacement
          When the sun burst through the sky
          There was a band playing in my head
          And I felt like getting high
          I was thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie
          Thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying
          In the yellow haze of the sun
          There were children crying and colors flying
          All around the chosen ones
          All in a dream, all in a dream
          The loading had begun
          Same old same old.

Humans!

Gotta love 'em.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I found two morels today! Currently frying them in olive oil and garlic. A tiny, victorious forage.
            “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Same old same old.

Humans!

Gotta love 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

Same old same old.

Humans!

Gotta love 'em.
              found
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                I found two morels today! Currently frying them in olive oil and garlic. A tiny, victorious forage.
                I am beyond jealous!!! I love morels.

- - - Updated - - -

The boy is currently in Texas at Papa and Nana's summer camp. From the texts and phone call I have received he is having an absolute blast. I myself have slept in 2 days in a row and did lots of yard work and tree trimming this afternoon. I might even clean m house while hes still at my Dad's house.
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Thinking about how much that was unthinkable the last time I posted is now a reality. Rough times, been busy.

Comment

I'm thinking that today is Suzi Quatro's birthday. She's 70. SEVENTY. How the holy hill of beans did that happen? Time is supersonic lately.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      I'm thinking that today is Suzi Quatro's birthday. She's 70. SEVENTY. How the holy hill of beans did that happen? Time is supersonic lately.
                      Holy hills of beans...

Is that a new pagan thing? I don't think I got the memo on that...

Attached Files
                      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 04 Jun 2020, 11:58.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        Holy hills of beans...

Is that a new pagan thing? I don't think I got the memo on that...
                        Why yes, it's for the vegetarians among us!
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Speaking of beans...I've been planting, and I totally screwed it up, lol. My squash and beans germinated, but none of my tomatoes managed to come up, nor did the transplants I have behind them germinate. Climate change strikes again. When I bought this property I could get three crops of indeterminate tomatoes every growing season. That was ten years ago. The past three years there has only been opportunity for one, and that window is shrinking. I now have a 9 day window between full maturity and first frost, and I'm in the US southeastern region.

There are shorter season crops, shorter season cultivars of tomatoes - but they have lower yields and higher input requirements. I worry for the future of affordable jars of marinara.

-and, also, I've been officially let loose..and all of our project data has been scrapped, as has our project due to budget cuts. We were only informed -after- we'd already made the cap[ital investment and put it into the ground. Great state of mind right now.

The wife has already started to find food banks capable of receiving fresh produce and we appear to be starting up a year where our farm will have to lay off all paid employees and dump it's productivity to charity. This would (and has) crushed many of the few remaining small farms here and across the nation.
                          Last edited by Rhythm; 05 Jun 2020, 05:32.

Comment

Can you find any woofers to work on your farm? That might alleviate some of the pressure.

Sorry to hear you've been laid off. And sorry to hear about your desperate marinara situation, hah. I'm from northern canada, and the idea that I could grow enough tomatoes to can is kinda mind boggling to me. They grow here, but they're better in a greenhouse, and they're just so much maintenance.
                            “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

I couldn't, in good conscience, take on workers at the rate which we could afford to pay for them. It'll be just the wife and I, our four children..and a friend whom I've conned to work in exchange for food and lodging - who was also let loose from his position serving people and communities on supplemental programs. We've been getting alot of our contacts from him the past few weeks.

We've also opened the gates and put a sign up. If you can pick it, you can have it. That goes from lettuce all the way to trout.

Even after that, we still have a few hundred hours of labor in removing the crop and residue and weeds - we have no choice, we have to do it, otherwise we'll see rampant disease and the value we've built for years will be completely wiped out.

- - - Updated - - -

-It's bad enough that I'm considering relocating to the high desert in wyoming, where water conservation programs are still being funded by necessity.

(to me, the idea of not having many more tons of tomatoes than you can sell is twilight zone shit - I'm a floridian by upbringing)
                              Last edited by Rhythm; 05 Jun 2020, 05:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
                                I couldn't, in good conscience, take on workers at the rate which we could afford to pay for them. It'll be just the wife and I, our four children..and a friend whom I've conned to work in exchange for food and lodging - who was also let loose from his position serving people and communities on supplemental programs. We've been getting alot of our contacts from him the past few weeks.

We've also opened the gates and put a sign up. If you can pick it, you can have it. That goes from lettuce all the way to trout.

Even after that, we still have a few hundred hours of labor in removing the crop and residue and weeds - we have no choice, we have to do it, otherwise we'll see rampant disease and the value we've built for years will be completely wiped out.

- - - Updated - - -

-It's bad enough that I'm considering relocating to the high desert in wyoming, where water conservation programs are still being funded by necessity.

(to me, the idea of not having many more tons of tomatoes than you can sell is twilight zone shit - I'm a floridian by upbringing)
                                I was under the impression WOOF'ing was on a volunteer basis in exchange for room and board. I WOOF'ed in India when I was younger, and I certainly didn't get paid.

I'm sorry your farm is doing so poorly, though. I've gardened before on a large scale, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to running a farm. I had a whole batch of cauliflower get mealworms once - really ticked me off because I couldn't salvage them, and I had to toss the whole lot.
                                Last edited by volcaniclastic; 05 Jun 2020, 14:53.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X