Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Me too. I don't know if I've changed mine in ten years.

Also, this month marks year ten for me and MO! Happy PF'aversary, Masked

It does mark 10 years, doesn't it?

Happy PF'aversary!!!

Regarding avis, I just rarely get tired of them I think is the third or fourth I've used since joining and it's been constant for about 5 years now if not longer.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Happy PFaversary Guys!
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Happy PFaversary!
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

oct 2020 10 years for me,yeh
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm thinking that it's been too long since I took a walk through the forest. My excuse of course is not enough time. New job, house to clean, groceries to do and then what time do you have left? And of course if I do find the time, it's either raining or storming. But now that winter is over, I'll try to go more often. No more excuses!
            Last edited by Eleanor; 09 Mar 2019, 07:34.

Comment

Is it "y'all" or "ya'll"?
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I've been thinking about the procession of my impending journey into the wilderness for a year and a day to reconnect with Nature and eventually build a homestead; I just want to run into the woods butt-naked, and emerge a man 366 days later haha. I know; it does sound a tad unrealistic, but I feel it's necessary for my spiritual growth; I've been virtually wilting as the result of living in the middle of a city. I don't like the idea that, no matter where I am throughout my day, even within my own home, there's always someone within a hundred foot radius of me. All the people, noises, and electrical humming and buzzing is starting to get to me.

The first order of business will be to build myself a fire; once that's done I can keep myself warm as I go about crafting a Wikiup by pulling a grouping of small trees and twigs together to form a dome shape, then clearing out the interior of the dome, then gathering up mud and leaves to pile up onto the outside of the Wikiup; it's an ancient Native American shelter.

I'll be living mostly on plants and insects at the start, as I won't have any hunting tools with me, and insects are, pound for pound, far more nutritious for humans than animal flesh; crickets in particular are pretty good to eat. The location I choose will also have to have a nearby freshwater stream, ideally one that runs over a bunch of small rocks to help keep the water crystal clear, clean, and safe for drinking without any purification or preparation in advance.

That would then provide the three things I will absolutely need in order to survive; food, water, and shelter. My next order of business would be to start flintknapping some stone tools, particularly a knife, as I can then use that stone blade to gather the fibrous inner bark of the trees around me, separating the fibers, then braiding them into cordage that can be used to help create clothing for myself as well as more shelters, ascending upwards, or descending downwards, greatly improving my traversal abilities; it can also be used to form bridges across bodies of water. With clothing, food, water, shelter, stone tools and cordage, I'd then be able to set out finding a nice source of clay which I could mold and harden in my fire in order to form dishes such as bowls, plates and spoons; from there, the quality of my food will greatly increase, as I will then be able to make a delicious soup consisting of various plants and insects all cooked up, boiled and ready to chow down, adding wild berries for improving of the flavor. Mmmm, nummy.

After establishing a nice Stone Age set up, I'll then have acquired enough resources to start moving into the Bronze Age. Making a kiln and bloomery out of clay, wood, and animal hide to craft the pump in order for the coals to reach the heat necessary to melt copper; after locating a source of tin, I'd then be able to smelt the copper and tin together in order to make bronze; then I'll be able to start making higher quality tools, weapons, utensils and dishes; probably some jewelry too, (ya gotta have bling after all hahaha). After I've got all my bronze tools manufactured, I'll be able to set out towards locating iron ore and smelting that into even better tools, effectively arriving into the Iron Age.

They'll be a lush garden, and a nice little farm. I'll also have to tame a wild horse at some point; this can be done by jumping onto it's back while it's near a river, and then doing ones best to steer the beast safely across the river; this will establish a sense of trust in the horse; kind of like how they did things back in the old days; it's all about convincing the horse that their chances of survival will only increase if they team up with you. Once I have a horse, my traversal abilities will be increased exponentially! I'll be well on my way to being a fully fledged, free, independent human being, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the Modern Age. Ahhh....it's gonna be great.

...It'll probably kinda suck in the beginning though when I'm not much more than a hairless naked ape man pounding rocks together hahaha.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                It's "y'all".

The apostrophe is used as a substitute for letters, such as in the word "can't"; the apostrophe fills the place of the "o" in "not"; as in "can not".

In the case of "y'all" the apostrophe substitutes the letters "o" and ​"u", so instead of "you all", it becomes "y'all".
                Last edited by Sollomyn; 09 Mar 2019, 17:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
                  I've been thinking about the procession of my impending journey into the wilderness for a year and a day to reconnect with Nature and eventually build a homestead; I just want to run into the woods butt-naked, and emerge a man 366 days later haha. I know; it does sound a tad unrealistic, but I feel it's necessary for my spiritual growth; I've been virtually wilting as the result of living in the middle of a city. I don't like the idea that, no matter where I am throughout my day, even within my own home, there's always someone within a hundred foot radius of me. All the people, noises, and electrical humming and buzzing is starting to get to me.

The first order of business will be to build myself a fire; once that's done I can keep myself warm as I go about crafting a Wikiup by pulling a grouping of small trees and twigs together to form a dome shape, then clearing out the interior of the dome, then gathering up mud and leaves to pile up onto the outside of the Wikiup; it's an ancient Native American shelter.

I'll be living mostly on plants and insects at the start, as I won't have any hunting tools with me, and insects are, pound for pound, far more nutritious for humans than animal flesh; crickets in particular are pretty good to eat. The location I choose will also have to have a nearby freshwater stream, ideally one that runs over a bunch of small rocks to help keep the water crystal clear, clean, and safe for drinking without any purification or preparation in advance.

That would then provide the three things I will absolutely need in order to survive; food, water, and shelter. My next order of business would be to start flintknapping some stone tools, particularly a knife, as I can then use that stone blade to gather the fibrous inner bark of the trees around me, separating the fibers, then braiding them into cordage that can be used to help create clothing for myself as well as more shelters, ascending upwards, or descending downwards, greatly improving my traversal abilities; it can also be used to form bridges across bodies of water. With clothing, food, water, shelter, stone tools and cordage, I'd then be able to set out finding a nice source of clay which I could mold and harden in my fire in order to form dishes such as bowls, plates and spoons; from there, the quality of my food will greatly increase, as I will then be able to make a delicious soup consisting of various plants and insects all cooked up, boiled and ready to chow down, adding wild berries for improving of the flavor. Mmmm, nummy.

After establishing a nice Stone Age set up, I'll then have acquired enough resources to start moving into the Bronze Age. Making a kiln and bloomery out of clay, wood, and animal hide to craft the pump in order for the coals to reach the heat necessary to melt copper; after locating a source of tin, I'd then be able to smelt the copper and tin together in order to make bronze; then I'll be able to start making higher quality tools, weapons, utensils and dishes; probably some jewelry too, (ya gotta have bling after all hahaha). After I've got all my bronze tools manufactured, I'll be able to set out towards locating iron ore and smelting that into even better tools, effectively arriving into the Iron Age.

They'll be a lush garden, and a nice little farm. I'll also have to tame a wild horse at some point; this can be done by jumping onto it's back while it's near a river, and then doing ones best to steer the beast safely across the river; this will establish a sense of trust in the horse; kind of like how they did things back in the old days; it's all about convincing the horse that their chances of survival will only increase if they team up with you. Once I have a horse, my traversal abilities will be increased exponentially! I'll be well on my way to being a fully fledged, free, independent human being, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the Modern Age. Ahhh....it's gonna be great.

...It'll probably kinda suck in the beginning though when I'm not much more than a hairless naked ape man pounding rocks together hahaha.

- - - Updated - - -

It's "y'all".

The apostrophe is used as a substitute for letters, such as in the word "can't"; the apostrophe fills the place of the "o" in "not"; as in "can not".

In the case of "y'all" the apostrophe substitutes the letters "o" and ​"u", so instead of "you all", it becomes "y'all".
                  I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but as someone who is experienced in living an outdoor life...it makes a nice fantasy, but there is so much more to it than this.

Try camping for the weekend first. Living off the land is not as easy as you are making it out to sound. If you build your shelter wrong, you die. If you can't find fresh food and water, you die. If you get a minor cut, and it becomes infected, and you stay out there and don't bring medicine with you, you will die. If you eat the wrong plant, insect, mushroom, or animal organ, you may die.

Do you know all of the edible plants and animals in your region, and more importantly, which to avoid? Have you ever actually started a fire without tools (this is not as easy as you think)? Does your region have winter and how will you get through it? Does your climate allow for naked living, and if so, how will you fend off the insects? Have you ever flintknapped, and do you even know which stones to do it to?

Like I said, it's a nice fantasy. But that's all it is.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yeah....halfway through your post I started picturing Tom Hanks in Castaway. It makes for great movies, but the reality is much more grim.
                    sigpic

Comment

"You'uns"...
                      Last edited by Rick; 09 Mar 2019, 20:13.
                      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                      Clan of my Clan
                      Kin of my Kin
                      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        "You'uns"...
                        "Youse guys".
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                          Yeah....halfway through your post I started picturing Tom Hanks in Castaway. It makes for great movies, but the reality is much more grim.
                          My reality is already kind of grim haha. Plus, I don't think Castaway's protagonist had extensive training in wilderness survival, nor did he have any desire or plan to insert himself into a survival situation. Training makes all the difference between thriving, or merely surviving; as does mental attitude. The first 21 days in the wilderness are always the most difficult; after that one becomes fully acclimated to their new environment. Kind of like quitting smoking, only in this case it would be quitting civilization haha.

PS: Great movie indeed haha.

--Sollomyn

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                          I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but as someone who is experienced in living an outdoor life...it makes a nice fantasy, but there is so much more to it than this.

Try camping for the weekend first. Living off the land is not as easy as you are making it out to sound. If you build your shelter wrong, you die. If you can't find fresh food and water, you die. If you get a minor cut, and it becomes infected, and you stay out there and don't bring medicine with you, you will die. If you eat the wrong plant, insect, mushroom, or animal organ, you may die.

Do you know all of the edible plants and animals in your region, and more importantly, which to avoid? Have you ever actually started a fire without tools (this is not as easy as you think)? Does your region have winter and how will you get through it? Does your climate allow for naked living, and if so, how will you fend off the insects? Have you ever flintknapped, and do you even know which stones to do it to?

Like I said, it's a nice fantasy. But that's all it is.
                          Oh indeed; there's way more to it all than just what I wrote; I just didn't want to pop out an entire thesis paper on it haha.

I don't know all the edible plants in the region, but I do know which plants to avoid; I still want more training in this area though before setting out; I also know how to determine in the field which plants are safe to eat and which are not. I have started a fire a few times without any tools when I was in Boy Scouts; got some blisters and splinters, took a long time, but I got it done eventually. Yes, the region does have winter, but I'm going to be traveling there towards the ends of spring so that I have a whole summer to manufacture an adequate shelter and make all the fur clothing I'll need to stay warm; one of the first things I want to do is dig out a cellar near the top of a mountain so that I can line it with snow and ice to keep fruits, vegetables and meats frozen so that I don't have to spend the whole winter stalking and hunting down food; planning ahead prevents a lot of hardship. Yes, the climate does allow for naked living, and coating myself in mud will help fend off insects until I can make some proper garments. Smoke will also keep insects at bay. I haven't flintnapped anything effective yet, but I bought a 352 page book on the subject of flintknapping, including the archaeological history of stone tools; it's essentially the Bible of flintknapping haha. Once summer arrives I'll be able to start locating rocks to practice with until I perfect the art.

For now, it is just a fantasy; one that I fully intend to transform into a reality. Thanks for the feedback; I understand I need some more training in order to make my dreams come true.

--Sollomyn

- - - Updated - - -

John "Lofty" Wiseman's "SAS Pocket Survival Guide" has been particularly informative; the whole middle section of the book is about food, and where to find it, and what to avoid. The other two books I'm currently studying from are "Flintknapping: Making and Understanding Stone Tools" John C. Whittaker, in addition to "Making Native American Hunting, Fighting, and Survival Tools" by Monte Burch.

I'm also a little out of shape, so I'm studying "Eat Right for Your Type: Fully Revised with 10-Day Jump-Start Plan" by Doctor Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney, in addition to the book "Special Ops Fitness Training: High-Intensity Workouts of Navy SEALs, Delta Force, Marine Force Recon, and Army Rangers" by Mark De Lisle. I also went to the Alaska Military Youth Academy; really instilled in me a strong determination for success bordering on perfection; LOTS of discipline to be learned there; some out-of-the-way military barracks on Elmendorf Air Force Base if I recall correctly. Heck of an experience; especially riding in the blackhawk helicopters haha; that was my favorite part; the boot camp phase sucked pretty bad though, but sure glad I didn't give up on myself. My dad used to be in the Navy and was never much of a dad-figure so much as a drill sergeant who was paranoid about the end of the world as we know it, and preparing my sister and I to be his soldiers in a post-apocalyptic Mad Max world.

--Sollomyn

- - - Updated - - -

Once I've learned all those books as thoroughly as I can, THEN I'll make the final decision as to the location where I'll begin my spiritual journey.
                          Last edited by Sollomyn; 09 Mar 2019, 21:27.

Comment

My art show is in two days and I'm just about to the "hurry up and wait" portion of preparation. Got a few last minute things to pick up, and then it's just hoping it comes together the way I envision.
                            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

ya'all ma'am.
                              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
                                My art show is in two days and I'm just about to the "hurry up and wait" portion of preparation. Got a few last minute things to pick up, and then it's just hoping it comes together the way I envision.
                                Best of luck to you. That sounds really exciting!

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
                                My reality is already kind of grim haha. Plus, I don't think Castaway's protagonist had extensive training in wilderness survival, nor did he have any desire or plan to insert himself into a survival situation. Training makes all the difference between thriving, or merely surviving; as does mental attitude. The first 21 days in the wilderness are always the most difficult; after that one becomes fully acclimated to their new environment. Kind of like quitting smoking, only in this case it would be quitting civilization haha. [...]

John "Lofty" Wiseman's "SAS Pocket Survival Guide" has been particularly informative; the whole middle section of the book is about food, and where to find it, and what to avoid. The other two books I'm currently studying from are "Flintknapping: Making and Understanding Stone Tools" John C. Whittaker, in addition to "Making Native American Hunting, Fighting, and Survival Tools" by Monte Burch. [...]
                                Reading things from a book isn't the same as getting out and practicing. I've been working my way up to backpacking in and out of places, and even that is tough. I highly recommend taking several practice trips before committing, starting with just a couple days and working up to a couple weeks. I also highly recommend you try winter camping with decent gear before deciding to try it starting out with nothing. And quite frankly, you're going to need some gear. We don't live in the stone ages anymore. Our water is polluted and it doesn't matter where you go, it's not particularly safe to drink even boiled. You also need to look into where you can go. Most forests in the USA don't allow permanent or even semi permanent structures to be built and often have a 1-3 week clause for staying in one place even off trail. Into the Wild is a great movie, btw...

On another note. I have an Embalming quiz tomorrow. I'm feeling a bit more comfortable tonight than I was on Friday, but it's going to be tough. It's all the linear and anatomical guides for the major arteries, and while I have a good idea of where to find them all and I can point out the general area of the body, and am doing ok with finding the carotid from an incision on the clavicle, this stuff gets pretty specific. I'm having to review a lot of my anatomy for nearby structures, muscles, etc. It's good practice, but it's taken longer than I would like to feel even a little comfortable with the material.
                                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X