Page 215 of 215 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215
Results 2,141 to 2,150 of 2150

Thread: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

  1. #2141
    Supporter Hawkfeathers's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,633
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria
    Location
    The Ozarks

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Holy hills of beans...

    Is that a new pagan thing? I don't think I got the memo on that...
    Why yes, it's for the vegetarians among us!

    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

  2. #2142

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    Speaking of beans...I've been planting, and I totally screwed it up, lol. My squash and beans germinated, but none of my tomatoes managed to come up, nor did the transplants I have behind them germinate. Climate change strikes again. When I bought this property I could get three crops of indeterminate tomatoes every growing season. That was ten years ago. The past three years there has only been opportunity for one, and that window is shrinking. I now have a 9 day window between full maturity and first frost, and I'm in the US southeastern region.

    There are shorter season crops, shorter season cultivars of tomatoes - but they have lower yields and higher input requirements. I worry for the future of affordable jars of marinara.

    -and, also, I've been officially let loose..and all of our project data has been scrapped, as has our project due to budget cuts. We were only informed -after- we'd already made the cap[ital investment and put it into the ground. Great state of mind right now.

    The wife has already started to find food banks capable of receiving fresh produce and we appear to be starting up a year where our farm will have to lay off all paid employees and dump it's productivity to charity. This would (and has) crushed many of the few remaining small farms here and across the nation.
    Last edited by Rhythm; 05 Jun 2020 at 05:32.

  3. #2143
    bibliophibian volcaniclastic's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,113
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Location
    Canada
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    Can you find any woofers to work on your farm? That might alleviate some of the pressure.

    Sorry to hear you've been laid off. And sorry to hear about your desperate marinara situation, hah. I'm from northern canada, and the idea that I could grow enough tomatoes to can is kinda mind boggling to me. They grow here, but they're better in a greenhouse, and they're just so much maintenance.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

    Mostly art.

  4. #2144

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    I couldn't, in good conscience, take on workers at the rate which we could afford to pay for them. It'll be just the wife and I, our four children..and a friend whom I've conned to work in exchange for food and lodging - who was also let loose from his position serving people and communities on supplemental programs. We've been getting alot of our contacts from him the past few weeks.

    We've also opened the gates and put a sign up. If you can pick it, you can have it. That goes from lettuce all the way to trout.

    Even after that, we still have a few hundred hours of labor in removing the crop and residue and weeds - we have no choice, we have to do it, otherwise we'll see rampant disease and the value we've built for years will be completely wiped out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    -It's bad enough that I'm considering relocating to the high desert in wyoming, where water conservation programs are still being funded by necessity.

    (to me, the idea of not having many more tons of tomatoes than you can sell is twilight zone shit - I'm a floridian by upbringing)
    Last edited by Rhythm; 05 Jun 2020 at 05:55.

  5. #2145
    bibliophibian volcaniclastic's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,113
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Location
    Canada
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm View Post
    I couldn't, in good conscience, take on workers at the rate which we could afford to pay for them. It'll be just the wife and I, our four children..and a friend whom I've conned to work in exchange for food and lodging - who was also let loose from his position serving people and communities on supplemental programs. We've been getting alot of our contacts from him the past few weeks.

    We've also opened the gates and put a sign up. If you can pick it, you can have it. That goes from lettuce all the way to trout.

    Even after that, we still have a few hundred hours of labor in removing the crop and residue and weeds - we have no choice, we have to do it, otherwise we'll see rampant disease and the value we've built for years will be completely wiped out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    -It's bad enough that I'm considering relocating to the high desert in wyoming, where water conservation programs are still being funded by necessity.

    (to me, the idea of not having many more tons of tomatoes than you can sell is twilight zone shit - I'm a floridian by upbringing)
    I was under the impression WOOF'ing was on a volunteer basis in exchange for room and board. I WOOF'ed in India when I was younger, and I certainly didn't get paid.

    I'm sorry your farm is doing so poorly, though. I've gardened before on a large scale, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to running a farm. I had a whole batch of cauliflower get mealworms once - really ticked me off because I couldn't salvage them, and I had to toss the whole lot.
    Last edited by volcaniclastic; 05 Jun 2020 at 14:53.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

    Mostly art.

  6. #2146
    Supporter Hawkfeathers's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,633
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria
    Location
    The Ozarks

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    What's WOOFing? (I'm picturing dogs picking vegetables...) I had a couple of lovely tomatoes growing in pots on my deck a few years ago, but the squirrels got them.

    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

  7. #2147
    bibliophibian volcaniclastic's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,113
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Location
    Canada
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    What's WOOFing? (I'm picturing dogs picking vegetables...) I had a couple of lovely tomatoes growing in pots on my deck a few years ago, but the squirrels got them.
    Worldwide Organization for Organic Farming - it's an organization that sources volunteer farmers in different countries, they do labour for you, in exchange for room and board (and periodically a small stipend). I haven't done it in a decade, but it used to be super popular amongst young, hippie-type travelers who want to experience the world, but cheaply and on a local scale.

    I had mixed experiences doing it in India, but I would do it again elsewhere. If you remember Bjorn at all, she did it for YEARS. She just bummed around the US living farm to farm - sometimes staying at some places for six months or so.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

    Mostly art.

  8. #2148
    Sr. Member Yazichestvo's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    252
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Slavic polytheist
    Location
    United States

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    I just discovered there’s a Nart Sagas webcomic, and I’m thrilled to be honest.

    https://narts.sylvanmigdal.com/?date=20171021

    For those unfamiliar, the Nart Sagas are a corpus of epics from the Northern Caucasus region. Geographically, you can think of the Caucasus as a mountainous borderland between southwest Russia and the Middle East. The sagas are fascinating because they offer a glimpse of North Caucasus culture, with a strong foundation of influences from the Alans (you may know the Alans as one of the barbarian tribes who migrated with the Vandals during the collapse of the Roman Empire.) A portion of them actually stayed behind in the Caucasus region, and became the modern day Ossetians. Many of the Nart heroes have Ossetian names. There actually was a Kingdom called “Alania” in the Caucasus until the Mongols arrived.

    The Alans are interesting to me, because they’re part of the broader family of Scythian or Scytho-Sarmatian cultures that once wandered the Eurasian steppes as nomadic pastoralists. Like the Mongols and Huns- but long before them. Any way, that goes some way to explain the cultural relevance of these sagas. The culture preserved in them has some very unique elements, but also some similarities to other Eurasian cultures and their mythologies. For instance, the story of Sozruquo’s birth is remarkably similar to that of Achilles. On the other hand the portrayal of women as warriors is more prominent than in many cultures, and likely reflects Sarmatian/Alanic culture.
    Last edited by Yazichestvo; 06 Jun 2020 at 07:56.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

  9. #2149
    Supporter Hawkfeathers's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,633
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria
    Location
    The Ozarks

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Worldwide Organization for Organic Farming - it's an organization that sources volunteer farmers in different countries, they do labour for you, in exchange for room and board (and periodically a small stipend). I haven't done it in a decade, but it used to be super popular amongst young, hippie-type travelers who want to experience the world, but cheaply and on a local scale.

    I had mixed experiences doing it in India, but I would do it again elsewhere. If you remember Bjorn at all, she did it for YEARS. She just bummed around the US living farm to farm - sometimes staying at some places for six months or so.
    Thanks! That sounds really cool.

    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

  10. #2150
    Supporter kalynraye's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,775
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch
    Location
    Menasha, WI

    Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

    Dog sitting. We've currently got my bosses pup while the are away on vacation. He's a treat, he gets my two old men moving and a shaking.

    I had to rehome one of my chickens this past weekend. She I mean he started crowing last Wednesday. My little silkie rooster had the tiniest crows ever! But he was relentless once he started. Luckily him and his best hen went to live at my friends farm with her flock. I could have just sent him but decided since they were kind enough to give him a good home and spoil him rotten I could part with a hen that would be laying soon as well and help pay his room and board.

    I got my first zucchini out of the garden with the promise of more of them and squash. Cucumbers and okra might be quick to follow, and my proudest accomplishment is my two corn stalks I planted! I've got like 2 ears of corn!! Next year I'll add another 4x8 bed and add carrots, cabbages, and broccoli to it. My asparagus should be old enough to start cutting next year but I'll wait and see.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

    "Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Similar Threads

  1. Whatcha Watchin'?
    By thalassa in forum Entertainment & Reviews
    Replies: 1680
    Last Post: 29 May 2020, 03:00
  2. Whatcha Eatin'?
    By thalassa in forum Pagan Forum Cookbook
    Replies: 1734
    Last Post: 05 Apr 2019, 18:37
  3. Whatcha thinking about now?
    By Hawkfeathers in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9449
    Last Post: 08 Nov 2017, 08:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •