Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making a wand

is there a length standard for wands?
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Re: making a wand

Id say whatever feels comfertable for you and how long you feel the wood should be. Mine are all between about one foot and one and three quarters.
    Circe

Comment

Usual measurement is distance from elbow to between wrist and finger tips ... Like ^ said ... Comfort ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

k... its quite a bit longer but i guess once i file down the tip it'll be a little shorter. i'm having fun making my first wand
        "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

[quote author=yukanaoe link=topic=1439.msg29930#msg29930 date=1295575893]
          k... its quite a bit longer but i guess once i file down the tip it'll be a little shorter. i'm having fun making my first wand
          [/quote]

What wood are you useing? I have yew, oak, willow, cherry, ash, hawthorn and I think rose wands. They are all oiled and afew are filed smooth, I haven't used most of them in along time. I should dig them out. Got um wrapped up in cloath in a box in my closet. Ill do it over the weekend
          Circe

Comment

lol i dunno.... i'll post a pic when i'm done to see if anyone can name it.

i'm having a heck of a time filing down the tip

Comment

[quote author=yukanaoe link=topic=1439.msg29935#msg29935 date=1295576432]
              lol i dunno.... i'll post a pic when i'm done to see if anyone can name it.

i'm having a heck of a time filing down the tip
              [/quote]

If its that long you could always saw it cause if the wood is hard enough and your fileing for awhile it could ruin your file. Maybe take a knife and whittle it off?
              Circe

Comment

yeah i think i'm going to get my knife out

Comment

well that was so much easier than sanding the tip down HA ty corvus.... ok now just smoothing out i just want this to be simple and natural

Comment

Mr Penry makes some really beautiful wands. They don't always have to be straight - you can be quite creative with the shape as these are often useful for diffusing your intention when a milder type of spell is more appropriate. Rosemary, aside from its innate magical properties, makes lovely wands that come out looking 'goddess shaped.'

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've grown fond of glass ones. Glass and crystals are great conductors and glass is adaptable to whatever you need to create. Plus it's a beautiful piece for altars when you're done adding the associated crystals, metals, bits and pieces, etc.

water orientated one could be: Quartz piece, shells in a glass tube (glass is doubly good here since it's made from super heated sand), moonstone, all held together with silver (water being the alchemical element of the moon and everything being moon orientated)
                      -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                      (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

Nice one Mrs. P ... Give the Mr. my compliments ...
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1439.msg30054#msg30054 date=1295660811]
                          Nice one Mrs. P ... Give the Mr. my compliments ...
                          [/quote]

Thank you Magus, I shall!
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=1439.msg29962#msg29962 date=1295607710]
                            Mr Penry makes some really beautiful wands. They don't always have to be straight - you can be quite creative with the shape as these are often useful for diffusing your intention when a milder type of spell is more appropriate. Rosemary, aside from its innate magical properties, makes lovely wands that come out looking 'goddess shaped.'
                            [/quote]

Oh! that is a marvelous looking wand!

I made mine out of a fallen branch from the willow tree on the corner; I made it as long as from my inner-elbow to my wrist. After I was done sanding a smoothing it, I rubbed candle wax on it. I am not sure why I did, but I like it like that.
                            What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

what Is pine good for. And we found a wood that has white bark and red wood

Comment

Working...
                              X