Modern Attributes for Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Attributes for Gods

I was reading a thread on Reddit this morning, and it made me want to bring the discussion here.

We have gods of the hunt, of love, and sex, and desire. Gods of fertility, growth, the sun, the sea, and the winds. But what about...say, gods of science? Gods of technology, and cell phones, and Facebook? Gods of firearms, gods of vehicles, gods of radio, reality television, celebrity gossip?

Which gods do you think would adapt to some of our more modern practices?

Mostly art.

Re: Modern Attributes for Gods

I imagine it would depend on their realm? Like, Apollo would probably be for modern music production, Sarasvati would watch over informational technology, gods of travel and protecting travelers, like Hermes, for cars, guns might fall under war....

I buy lotto tickets on occasion as an offering to Fortuna. Scratch-offs aren't exactly traditional, but it's a game of chance. I do the same when I play computer games that involve chance, because I believe it plays into Her realm of luck.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I could see Hermes being the god of all things Social Media and tech communication.

I could see Athena getting behind the sciences and STEM.

Ares will always be the god of war, so modern weaponry, strategy, etc would probably fall under him.

I could see Anansi and the other tricksters meddling with all the tech, all those "glitches" you know.

And the healer archetype would still play into health as we see it now, with all of our modern medical equipment and practices, so a doctor might pray to Brigid of Hygieia. An OBGYN might pray to Epona, Hera, or Mesenet just as any midwife would have in ancient times.

Someone playing the lottery might pray to Fortuna, Tyche, or Ganesha.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Just for a slightly off the wall connection, I could see a host of intelligence agencies wishing for Heimdall's support. Sure spy and sentinel at the gate are decidedly not the same archetype but Heimdall's got extra-ordinary senses and his role isn't to singlehandedly stop an invasion of Asgard but to see it coming in time to alert the gods so that they can rally for war. Spotting a threat before it's kicking your door down and generally screwing over your life is what an intelligence service is supposed to do for a nation. They do other things on the side but one of if not the defining role of an intelligence service is to identify the threat in time to act.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I follow a tumblr blog called modern day gods, and they have some beautiful descriptions. I think that Hermes is definitely a social media god.
          ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Heimdall, god of Firewall.

Last edited by Torey; 31 Mar 2018, 03:08.

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
              I follow a tumblr blog called modern day gods, and they have some beautiful descriptions. I think that Hermes is definitely a social media god.
              Ooh, will you send me the ink for that?
              Last edited by habbalah; 31 Mar 2018, 10:35.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I think also Thoth would love technology. I actually don't see a problem updating the gods. We still rely on the natural world for our survival, and things like wisdom and fertility haven't gone away just because we have computers now. I think we can see Themis marching with protesters, Dionysus binge-watching Netflix, and Apollo steering Elon Musk's Tesla out there in space. The Big Picture concerns that the gods presided over in the old days are still present, we as mortals just have different tools now to deal with them, and I think the gods can very easily adapt to them.
                She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

I wanna ride this ride!

....Seshat, I think, gets the internet.

OR, we can claim a new deity, Googazon.

*retreats back into her dissertation-writing cave*
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I really like Googazon,I can picture an image in my mind

Someone did make a googazon
                    Last edited by anunitu; 11 Apr 2018, 21:28.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                    X