Nirvana... what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nirvana... what is it?

We hear the word "Nirvana" often. But what, exactly, does the word mean?

For some people, Nirvana is the same as everyday life, except that the individual has an altered internal self (Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water). Other people seem to think that when Nirvana is reached, the person stops existing (Poof!). I hear some people talk about it as if it were some kind of never ending acid trip (wow, man!).

Here's an article that describes what Nirvana might be, and why meditation might be useful in attaining Nirvana:

In ancient texts, nirvana is often described with a word that is commonly translated as ‘the unconditioned’. For years I heard this strange-sounding term and wondered what it meant, but I figured that understanding it without actually reaching nirvana was probably hopeless and, for my purposes, not all that important. It turns out that I was wrong on both counts. The question ‘What is the unconditioned?’ has a pretty clear answer and a very important one, an answer that forms a kind of intersection between the exotically metaphysical and the naturalistic.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Nirvana... what is it?

I myself have always thought of it as in balance with things,feeling as though you "BELONG!"
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      I myself have always thought of it as in balance with things,feeling as though you "BELONG!"
      Kind of like the Tao?
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

i imagine so.

- - - Updated - - -

I think,therefore I exist. or I think,therefore I AM.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          i imagine so.

- - - Updated - - -

I think,therefore I exist. or I think,therefore I AM.
          I belch, therefore, I have gas in my stomach.

Comment

enlightening

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Nirvana to me is just a sort of blanket term for the condition mentally one accomplishes through techniques that elevate ones concious awareness and perceptions. results are a more lucid train of thought and thinking and heightened perceptual abilitys often that lead into greater accuracy in physical and mental acts of will. I've definately found a greater sense of focus as well as serenity and such and my art has improved due to finding moments of clarity or nirvana..because you know its not a permenant state of being. but yeah definately a worthy pursuit.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water)
                I like that description. Similar to 'after enlightenment comes the dishes'.

Interesting article. About the similarities between scientific 'enlightenment' and nirvana i would say there is one big difference: while science might find no evidence and so conclude that there is no 'true' self, independent of the environment (current consensus), it is quite another thing to experience existence like that. For the latter it is not enough to know, or believe, it is true.

Comment

Nirvana is in the Buddhist sense: The final goal. No suffering, desires, nor sense of self. Those who obtain this are released from the cycle of Karma. Life and death will not happen. You pretty much defeat the system of reincarnation in doing so.

Comment

Working...
                  X