Religious Liberty Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Liberty Summit

Happening now - The Justice Dep't. is having a panel discussion consisting of a Rabbi, a Sikh, someone from a "faith-based adoption agency", Jack Phillips (the owner of Masterpiece Cake Shop), and a couple of others whose credentials I missed. Jeff Sessions is expected to make some kind of announcement about religious freedom. It's live on Facebook on the 'Now This Politics" page.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: Religious Liberty Summit

Here's what Sessions had to say:

http://thehill.com/regulation/admini...rty-task-force
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Why do I feel like "religious" and "people of faith" only really means Christians here..?
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
        Why do I feel like "religious" and "people of faith" only really means Christians here..?

It came from Jeff Sessions...

Anyway, how it'll operate is liable to depend largely on the people below Sessions. I'm not exorbitantly thrilled with the names listed so far but they may surprise me. That said, I expect at least a token gesture at caring about religions beyond Christianity for two reasons

1. It decreases the odds of getting slapped upside the head by federal courts.
        2. Rosenstein is a Jew and while he doesn't have much directly to do with this task force, he is the second highest ranking DOJ official and outranks everyone named to it. Actively targeting your boss's faith is normally bad form.
        Last edited by MaskedOne; 30 Jul 2018, 10:06.
        "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
        ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Just call them The Jesus Mafia.

Or, maybe, The Ministry of YHVH.
          Last edited by B. de Corbin; 31 Jul 2018, 05:43.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Hmm. I remain very skeptical here. I doubt that there is the intention for any real positive interfaith understanding. More likely a token gesture, and a little voice keeps reminding me of morality squads- I'm thinking of Iran specifically, but there have been plenty. I have real concerns that the religious freedom of which they speak is the freedom to repress the religion or non-religion of others.
            Last edited by Prickly Pear; 31 Jul 2018, 09:53.

Comment

Working...
            X