Really Frustrated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Frustrated...

I find it really frustrating that Brigid is also a saint. I mean, put aside the fact that they flat out stole the Irish pagans (arguably) most popular goddess, every time I look for info about her I find the saint and a bunch of stuff about Christianity. I was just looking up books on eBay and though I found some good ones, turns out they were all about things like St. Brigid saving Christianity or something along those lines. And I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Christianity, and I've always had a soft spot for the religion as a whole, but I mean, just ugh. Give her back, already, or better yet, admit her origins and just be honest about where she came from. It just seems a bit disrespectful to honor and entire religion's goddess, but only if you can make her your own.

Re: Really Frustrated...

Well, I get why it ticks you off, but to me it's a cute trick used so pagans could be Christian on the outside.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Re: Really Frustrated...

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Well, I get why it ticks you off, but to me it's a cute trick used so pagans could be Christian on the outside.
      This. In many ways, the Christianisation on non-Christian deities and practices is the only way a lot of traditions and knowledge has survived. It's absolutely frustrating (perhaps even moreso when your deites were demonised by Christianity rather than sainted).

On a practical note, could you try searching alternate and more traditional spellings? That might filter out the Christianised stuff?

Comment

Working...
      X