Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on how I can make my wand straighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on how I can make my wand straighter?

Hey everyone. I recently created my own wand. I harvested a branch from a dogwood tree in my backyard. It is "1 ft, 2 in". I felt a deep connection with the tree. I used to play and climb this tree as a kid. Me and this tree have a special bond.I decided to make my wand, using a branch from the tree. The only problem I find is that the wand is very curvy. It isn't straight. I painted one side of the wand black, to show where the handle is. According to Mr. Ollivander, "The wand chooses the witch/wizard". The character is of course fantasy, but I believe his words to be somewhat true.

Re: Any tips on how I can make my wand straighter?

Depending on how much moisture the wood will accept and how deep of a curve is on the branch, you can try soaking the wand in water until saturated and then pressing it flat with something heavy until it dries, but the risk is that you may crack it as it dries.

More likely, you're just SOL.
    Last edited by volcaniclastic; 25 Aug 2018, 05:45.

Mostly art.

Comment

Thanks. Maybe I can try making another wand out of a different tree. I wonder how a birch wand would be.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess what? It just broke so I buried it by the tree outside. I guess I'll go with birch for my next wand.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what's the point (pun may or may not be intended) of having a straight wand? Does it make it more accurate/powerful or is it strictly for aesthetic purposes?
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I have a hard time working with a curved wand. It doesn't feel right to me. I have problems of how I grasp the wand, and in which direciton the curve goes. I don't believe it has anything to do with making it more powerful. I just feel more comfortable working with a straight wand. Its easier me to grasp and direct energy.

Comment

Well consider this.

Last edited by anunitu; 25 Aug 2018, 20:30.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              Out of curiosity, what's the point (pun may or may not be intended) of having a straight wand? Does it make it more accurate/powerful or is it strictly for aesthetic purposes?
              It can be awkward to work with a curved wand, for visualization and suspension of disbelief during ritual work.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                It can be awkward to work with a curved wand, for visualization and suspension of disbelief during ritual work.
                Fair enough. I was only trying to understand the motive for wanting to change the appearance of a wand because I, myself, am not a wand user.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I have some experience with straightening wood, because I prefere making my bokken swords from tree branches instead of buying machined ones. More resilient that way.
                  I often have to correct them, by partially straightening them so that their curve is contained within one plain.

I do it by putting the bent portion into boiling water and then putting it into a vice and pulling the other part as a lever, opposite from the unwanted curve that needs to be straightened.

Comment

Working...
                  X