Celtic reconstructionist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celtic reconstructionist?

So I’ve just stumbled into this...And I’m not so sure I’m really going to take this very far? But I would like some help with it...

For one, does anyone still practice this? I’ve already gotten sort of attached...But if I’m alone in it...I don’t know that’s scary. But the other threads I’ve found hadn’t been updated since I was like...five. It’s like learning Latin for me. If there’s no point...

Secondly, which gods and goddesses? I’m so confused. I’ve seen so many and I don’t know which are excepted and which aren’t. Especially (for personal reasons) Cernnunos, I feel like he’s been generalized and I can’t tell if he counts or not. What I’ve found says he IS Celtic but I know not to trust the internet on everything. And if it tells you how new I am, I haven’t had time to buy any books... But if someone could explain that and a few other gods and goddesses to me that would be helpful.

Re: Celtic reconstructionist?

I'm not a celtic Reconstructionist, but I'm knowledgable enough to sort the fluff from the grit.

A quick search lead me to this website here.

Might want to give that a read. Something to keep in mind is that reconstructionism religions tend not to change over time, so don't discount information you find that is a little on the older side. It's probably still factual.

You might also want to check your local library, and a lot of the time trying to track down the local mythos for your religion is a good place to start.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
      I'm not a celtic Reconstructionist, but I'm knowledgable enough to sort the fluff from the grit.

A quick search lead me to this website.

Might want to give that a read. Something to keep in mind is that reconstructionism religions tend not to change over time, so don't discount information you find that is a little on the older side. It's probably still factual.

You might also want to check your local library, and a lot of the time trying to track down the local mythos for your religion is a good place to start.

Thank you for your help! Though I have been on that site already I’m sure I can find something at the library. Although this is the bible belt as my mother puts it so...Maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylver View Post
        Thanks for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your help! Though I have been on that site already I’m sure I can find something at the library. Although this is the bible belt as my mother puts it so...Maybe not.
        But so much of it isn't even religious. Celtic folklore, for instance. Even 'bible belters' read mythology.

Do you have an ereader? There are a lot of things online for free these days.
        “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

My buddy October is a Celtic Recon. She's on this forum. Hopefully she'll chime in, she has a ton of resources.

As for being in the Bible Belt, I am too. you should still be able to find lots of good folklore and history on the celtic aspects. Even if you can't find specifically pagan stuff, knowing the culture and history will be a great reference.
          Last edited by faye_cat; 26 Oct 2018, 15:35.
          “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

There is Bulfinch's Mythology,that is available from Gutenberg as a file. I own a hard copy,paperback,but e-book is also good.

also look here.

- - - Updated - - -

the The Golden Bough is also good.

here it is.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The web site linked to in post #2 has a section listing recommended books and, equally important, books to avoid. I'd certainly recommend Proinsias MacCanna and Marie-Louise Sjoestedt.The worship of individual Celtic gods was very localised in Antiquity, but by all accounts they don't actually care where you come from.

Comment

Working...
              X