Real Dragon Deities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Dragon Deities

Are there any real dragon deities exist in this world?

Re: Real Dragon Deities

I'm not an expert when it comes to japenese traditions but the 龍神 (read that "ryuujin") is kind of a dragon god of the sea. According to Wikipedia there's even something called 竜神信仰 (read that ryuujin shinkou) which is a form of Japanese worship of dragons as sea gods tied to agriculture and fishermen as well.

The indian and Indonesian folklore have the Naga which are divine and benevolent in nature.

I know of worshippers of Apep/Apophis (Egyptian mythology) and they consider it to be a dragon.

And well, my patron demon, Azazel, is a Dragon.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

there is Tiamat here.

- - - Updated - - -

interesting pic.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It depends on how you define real. Can you go out somewhere and see a real, physical dragon flying in the sky? I'm fairly sure that would be alllll over the news. But there is definitely a basis for dragon magic and a belief in dragons at least in the astral sense. I borrowed Dancing with Dragons by Conway from a friend. It's still on my shelf (I haven't seen him in a year).
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          there is Tiamat here.

- - - Updated - - -

interesting pic.
          first time i saw Tiamat drawn like that. Interesting

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          It depends on how you define real. Can you go out somewhere and see a real, physical dragon flying in the sky? I'm fairly sure that would be alllll over the news. But there is definitely a basis for dragon magic and a belief in dragons at least in the astral sense. I borrowed Dancing with Dragons by Conway from a friend. It's still on my shelf (I haven't seen him in a year).
          she gives very little info on working with dragons. but there is stuff in there. it is mostly folklore and basic neo-Wicca rituals which are heavily dragon themed. this goes into mentors, co-workers in magic and ritual and consultants to a certain extent but not to worship them. do not want to discuss any more as this will side track the thread.
          Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Tiamat is also a Dungeons and Dragons dragon deity.

Comment

Anyone have experience working with Tiamat?

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                Tiamat is also a Dungeons and Dragons dragon deity.
                Tiamat predates Dungeons and Dragons by a good couple thousand years. D&D has been known to aggressively borrow interesting Powers to flesh out sourcebooks with. Tiamat is one of many to fall victim to this habit.
                Last edited by MaskedOne; 28 Nov 2018, 17:17.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Constantinitus View Post
                  Anyone have experience working with Tiamat?
                  On my path, Tiamat is just one of those deities you don't really work with. She doesn't seem interested at all in human affairs or interactions. You can of course try to win her favor. But what could a human do to please such a being? Not much, imho.

Comment

connection of Tiamat and Sumerian myth

connection to creation myth.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                      On my path, Tiamat is just one of those deities you don't really work with. She doesn't seem interested at all in human affairs or interactions. You can of course try to win her favor. But what could a human do to please such a being? Not much, imho.
                      Any particular reason why you think so? I have heard of folks claiming to work with her, particularly in the LHP community, and you seem to be a Theistic Satanist so that is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Constantinitus View Post
                        Any particular reason why you think so? I have heard of folks claiming to work with her, particularly in the LHP community, and you seem to be a Theistic Satanist so that is interesting.
                        I cannot comment for SeanRave, but the entity within my "pantheon" not dissimilar to Tiamat is Rahav (Rahab).

I suspect that the reasons which Tiamat is not worked with actively is akin to the reason that Rahav is not worked with actively. That is, there are some primordial entities whose sentience is not equatable with the sentience of deities such as those found in many "mainstream" cultures and traditions. These primordial beings are so ancient and of such a different plane of existence that they do not recognise nor interact with human beings - or many (if any) other beings for that matter.

Take into consideration the fact that who or what one "works with" is, of course, all Unverified Personal Gnosis. In other words, YMMV. There are many potential explanations for others "working with" "Tiamat" or "Rahav" in a perceptibly active manner.

Comment

If I were seriously looking at Tiamat, what would probably put me off is

A) I'm not entirely sure how intact she is...
                          Going by wiki, Marduk killed her and formed the Heavens and the Earth from her body. Unlike various Norse powers where Ragnarok is expected to end them but Ragnarok's date is open to question, Tiamat is theoretically dead and her body has been used as part of the creation that mortals are familiar with.

B) While I find Tiamat more sympathetic* than a lot of beings that deities are said to have warred against, I'm less than certain that the feeling would be mutual and I like breathing well enough not to be overly enthused with inviting the divine mother of dragons to put an end to my continued breathing.

*her kids plotted against and killed her husband. Tiamat saying, "**** this, you're all dying today," is a perfectly natural response to that.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                            I cannot comment for SeanRave, but the entity within my "pantheon" not dissimilar to Tiamat is Rahav (Rahab).

I suspect that the reasons which Tiamat is not worked with actively is akin to the reason that Rahav is not worked with actively. That is, there are some primordial entities whose sentience is not equatable with the sentience of deities such as those found in many "mainstream" cultures and traditions. These primordial beings are so ancient and of such a different plane of existence that they do not recognise nor interact with human beings - or many (if any) other beings for that matter.

Take into consideration the fact that who or what one "works with" is, of course, all Unverified Personal Gnosis. In other words, YMMV. There are many potential explanations for others "working with" "Tiamat" or "Rahav" in a perceptibly active manner.
                            That is quite interesting, considering how the entity managed to enter the human cosmology in a very real anthropomorphized form (often that of a dragon). What do you think would be some of the potential explanations for others "working with" these entities in a "perceptibly active" manner?

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            If I were seriously looking at Tiamat, what would probably put me off is

A) I'm not entirely sure how intact she is...
                            Going by wiki, Marduk killed her and formed the Heavens and the Earth from her body. Unlike various Norse powers where Ragnarok is expected to end them but Ragnarok's date is open to question, Tiamat is theoretically dead and her body has been used as part of the creation that mortals are familiar with.

B) While I find Tiamat more sympathetic* than a lot of beings that deities are said to have warred against, I'm less than certain that the feeling would be mutual and I like breathing well enough not to be overly enthused with inviting the divine mother of dragons to put an end to my continued breathing.

*her kids plotted against and killed her husband. Tiamat saying, "**** this, you're all dying today," is a perfectly natural response to that.
                            I suppose that makes sense. I wonder how/why folks invite the divine mother of dragons considering her "instability". I wonder what sort of relationship they may have with her but like Torey mentioned, it is unverified personal gnosis, and they may very well be working with some other entity that masks as being Tiamat.
                            Last edited by Constantinitus; 30 Nov 2018, 02:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post

Yeah that's pretty much the reason for Tiamat not being worked with in my "pantheon". BaalZebub explained to me that Tiamat is no longer a living being by human standards, but rather the undying and eternal manifestation of the primordial power she bears. He considers her to exist and have a perceptible influence but just in a different way that living/active spirits have.

Comment

Working...
                              X