Demon of Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demon of Alcohol

Strange question, but does anyone know whether there is a demon associated with alcohol or alcoholism in the Jewish or Christian mythologies? Couldn't find anything on google.

Re: Demon of Alcohol

Originally posted by prometheus View Post
    Strange question, but does anyone know whether there is a demon associated with alcohol or alcoholism in the Jewish or Christian mythologies? Couldn't find anything on google.
    I'm a Christian so I can answer the question for you. Satan always associated with Alcohol. But that's my opinion.

Comment

I think not,remember the water into wine from Jesus. Would Jesus create anything evil?
      Last edited by anunitu; 06 Nov 2018, 15:31.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        I think not,remember the water into wine from Jesus. Would Jesus create anything evil?
        No Jesus would never created anything evil.

Comment

Bacchus - Roman God of Wine - Crystalinks. Dionysus or Dionysos, was the god of the grape harvest, winemaking and wine, of ritual madness and ecstasy in Greek mythology. also possible PAN

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Did someone say wine? :P

I don't think there is a specific demon associated with alcohol, but then I'm no expert. I'm sure there are demonologists on the forum who know much more about this. I think it also depends on your view on alcohol. It can be enjoyable or it may destroy you. Maybe you could search for demons that have something to do with temptation or (personal) destruction, as alcohol can play a role in that.

Comment

There is no evidence that I can find in my research that directly aligns a specific demon or entity to alcohol or alcoholism which comes from the assembled version(s) of the Bible - Christian or Jewish.

That being said, however, there are demons or spirits within Jewish folklore and Grimoires which may be said to have an association with alcohol. One such spirit is Saphathorael. From the Testament of Solomon:

The twelfth said: "I am called Saphathorael, and I inspire partisanship in men, and delight in causing them to stumble. If any one will write on paper these names of angels, Iaco, Iealo, Ioelet, Sabaoth, Ithoth, Bae, and having folded it up, wear it round his neck or against his ear, I at once retreat and dissipate the drunken fit."

There are also various demons or spirits within other cultures and religious contexts such as Zoroastrianism such as Kuda and Aeshma which may be associated with "drunkenness".

Comment

Some useful stuff there, thanks all. I'll look into it and maybe come back with further questions.

To clarify, it was the negative aspect of the substance i was more interested in. In my research i did find that the root of the word alcohol may share roots with the word for ghoul: both of Arabic origin.

Comment

Some useful stuff there, thanks all. I'll look into it and maybe come back with further questions.

To clarify, it was the negative aspect of the substance i was more interested in. In my research i did find that the root of the word alcohol may share roots with the word for ghoul: both of Arabic origin.
                  that is an interesting fact

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Seeing the title made me double-check I hadn't somehow mistakenly arrived on a born-again Christian / temperance movement site

In a book I've been reading, it actually says this about the origins of the word:

Similarly, the modern word alcohol illuminates the origins of distilled alcoholic drinks in the laboratories of Arab alchemists. It is descended from al-koh'l, the name given to the black powder of purified antimony, which was used as a cosmetic, to paint or stain the eyelids. The term was used more generally by alchemists to refer to other highly purified substances, including liquids, so that distilled wine later came to be known in English as "alcohol of wine".
                    (Tom Standage, "History Of The World In Six Glasses")

The same book mentions how beer is the oldest alcoholic drink, invented (or discovered) in Mesopotamia around 9000 years ago, and it may actually have been the prompt for the start of agriculture, not food so much

Generally, I do wish people would go more into the positive aspects of the substance (which actually isn't even a "substance" as such - there are various alcohol-containing drinks, no one drinks just generic "alcohol"), instead of always the negative (true or perceived). Just my opinion

Comment

see now you have sparked a discussion,and we come out to play

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Florenna View Post
                        In a book I've been reading, it actually says this about the origins of the word:
                        Quite different from what i read. I can't remember my sources, they were all online. Next time i meet an Arabic speaker i'll try to remember to ask.

Originally posted by Florenna View Post

Generally, I do wish people would go more into the positive aspects of the substance (which actually isn't even a "substance" as such - there are various alcohol-containing drinks, no one drinks just generic "alcohol"), instead of always the negative (true or perceived). Just my opinion
                        Maybe it depends on the local culture, but alcohol is advertised as the best thing in life in my circles: the only thing that makes life worth living if you believe some. Its use is ubiquitous around my ways. As a white male I was socially excluded from many things when i started to refuse to drink. Celebrating Christmas? Alcohol. New Year? Alcohol. New baby? Alcohol. New job? Alcohol. It's getting better in recent years, as it slowly releases it's grip on the nation, but i'm still frowned upon in certain circles. Then I worked as a nurse for over a decade and saw alcohol destroy hundreds of people. The only other drug that came close was heroin, and even that couldn't compare to the pervasive nature of alcohol.

From my perspective alcohol is a truly demonic drug, and it's all the more strange that it is legal while certain psychoactive substances with demonstrable healing properties are still illegal. But i guess that's another discussion.

Comment

Prometheus, I can understand your feelings up to a point, stemming from social exclusion you've felt, etc, I just completely disagree with you on alcohol being evil I can relate to social exclusion in a way, but for my part, drinking alcohol is one of the few things I actually have in common with most people Though I'm not actually sure if it is the majority that love to drink - at least where I live it's quite bipolar: to slightly exaggerate, you either drink a lot (like an alcoholic), or then you are a teetotaller (and think alcohol is 'teh devil', a bit like you)... And I'm somewhere in the middle, seeing alcohol as a perfectly normal part of life (and better enjoyed not to too much excess, though it sometimes happens), which seems to be very rare over here at least. (e.g. in the Mediterranean countries it seems to be a more normal attitude, maybe I rather belong there...)

Also, just as an aside, as you mentioned alcohol is kind of the only currently legal way to achieve a slightly altered consciousness, which can be very useful in e.g. magic work & shamanistic practices (though I'm not familiar with the latter).

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          see now you have sparked a discussion,and we come out to play
                          Yeah, luckily (for me) this thread wasn't locked...
                          Last edited by Florenna; 27 Jan 2019, 01:34.

Comment

Maybe i shouod give some context for the OP. I was writing a short story and thought of writing of a demonic possession with alcoholism as the weakness through which the demon gained entry. I also wanted to leave it a little ambiguous whether there was a demon at all. I was thinking of naming the demon, hence i asked the question.

I don't believe in evil as a literal thing (i'm actually an atheist), but it's fair to say i see societies attitude towards alcohol as extremely unhealthy, to the point i would characterise it as evil in a story. But i agree, it's the attitude towards the substance, rather than the substance itself that is the problem. However, addiction is a nefarious beast, and the number of problem drinkers who think they have a healthy grasp on their habit is well documented in the medical literature. I'm all for adopting a more Mediterranean attitude.

Let me ask: would you accept heroin or cocaine as a perfectly normal part of life? After all, despite the obvious harm they do there are many people who take these substances responsibly, as some do alcohol.
                            Last edited by prometheus; 27 Jan 2019, 01:49.

Comment

In relation to naming the demon one of alcoholism.. another option might be to name the demon after the underlying issue causing the alcoholism?

Your last question is worth discussing, and not just from an Abrahmic perspective. I'd be happy to discuss that from any angle. From a Christian perspective regarding substance use, I'd put it in the same category as 'drunkeness' which is advised against in the New and Old Testament. I guess because it leads to a lack of control over mind and body and deteriorates the body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

As for heroin and cocaine being a perfectly normal part of life.. I'm not sure those types of drugs can be used in moderation? Aren't they designed to be addictive from the very first hit? Myself being someone who doesn't have a lot of impulse control, I'm sure a single use of cocaine would spell ruin for my life! Maybe it would depend on personality.

Comment

Working...
                              X