Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demon of Alcohol

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: Demon of Alcohol

see now you have sparked a discussion,and we come out to play
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Buddhist

Quote Originally Posted by Florenna View Post
    In a book I've been reading, it actually says this about the origins of the word:
    Quite different from what i read. I can't remember my sources, they were all online. Next time i meet an Arabic speaker i'll try to remember to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Florenna View Post

Generally, I do wish people would go more into the positive aspects of the substance (which actually isn't even a "substance" as such - there are various alcohol-containing drinks, no one drinks just generic "alcohol"), instead of always the negative (true or perceived). Just my opinion
    Maybe it depends on the local culture, but alcohol is advertised as the best thing in life in my circles: the only thing that makes life worth living if you believe some. Its use is ubiquitous around my ways. As a white male I was socially excluded from many things when i started to refuse to drink. Celebrating Christmas? Alcohol. New Year? Alcohol. New baby? Alcohol. New job? Alcohol. It's getting better in recent years, as it slowly releases it's grip on the nation, but i'm still frowned upon in certain circles. Then I worked as a nurse for over a decade and saw alcohol destroy hundreds of people. The only other drug that came close was heroin, and even that couldn't compare to the pervasive nature of alcohol.

From my perspective alcohol is a truly demonic drug, and it's all the more strange that it is legal while certain psychoactive substances with demonstrable healing properties are still illegal. But i guess that's another discussion.

Jan 2019
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Prometheus, I can understand your feelings up to a point, stemming from social exclusion you've felt, etc, I just completely disagree with you on alcohol being evil I can relate to social exclusion in a way, but for my part, drinking alcohol is one of the few things I actually have in common with most people Though I'm not actually sure if it is the majority that love to drink - at least where I live it's quite bipolar: to slightly exaggerate, you either drink a lot (like an alcoholic), or then you are a teetotaller (and think alcohol is 'teh devil', a bit like you)... And I'm somewhere in the middle, seeing alcohol as a perfectly normal part of life (and better enjoyed not to too much excess, though it sometimes happens), which seems to be very rare over here at least. (e.g. in the Mediterranean countries it seems to be a more normal attitude, maybe I rather belong there...)

Also, just as an aside, as you mentioned alcohol is kind of the only currently legal way to achieve a slightly altered consciousness, which can be very useful in e.g. magic work & shamanistic practices (though I'm not familiar with the latter).

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    see now you have sparked a discussion,and we come out to play
    Yeah, luckily (for me) this thread wasn't locked...
    Last edited by Florenna; 27 Jan 2019 at 01:34.

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Buddhist

Maybe i shouod give some context for the OP. I was writing a short story and thought of writing of a demonic possession with alcoholism as the weakness through which the demon gained entry. I also wanted to leave it a little ambiguous whether there was a demon at all. I was thinking of naming the demon, hence i asked the question.

I don't believe in evil as a literal thing (i'm actually an atheist), but it's fair to say i see societies attitude towards alcohol as extremely unhealthy, to the point i would characterise it as evil in a story. But i agree, it's the attitude towards the substance, rather than the substance itself that is the problem. However, addiction is a nefarious beast, and the number of problem drinkers who think they have a healthy grasp on their habit is well documented in the medical literature. I'm all for adopting a more Mediterranean attitude.

Let me ask: would you accept heroin or cocaine as a perfectly normal part of life? After all, despite the obvious harm they do there are many people who take these substances responsibly, as some do alcohol.
    Last edited by prometheus; 27 Jan 2019 at 01:49.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

In relation to naming the demon one of alcoholism.. another option might be to name the demon after the underlying issue causing the alcoholism?

Your last question is worth discussing, and not just from an Abrahmic perspective. I'd be happy to discuss that from any angle. From a Christian perspective regarding substance use, I'd put it in the same category as 'drunkeness' which is advised against in the New and Old Testament. I guess because it leads to a lack of control over mind and body and deteriorates the body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

As for heroin and cocaine being a perfectly normal part of life.. I'm not sure those types of drugs can be used in moderation? Aren't they designed to be addictive from the very first hit? Myself being someone who doesn't have a lot of impulse control, I'm sure a single use of cocaine would spell ruin for my life! Maybe it would depend on personality.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

as in my other post so good to see you lady.

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Buddhist

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    In relation to naming the demon one of alcoholism.. another option might be to name the demon after the underlying issue causing the alcoholism?
    Good idea.

Your last question is worth discussing, and not just from an Abrahmic perspective. I'd be happy to discuss that from any angle. From a Christian perspective regarding substance use, I'd put it in the same category as 'drunkeness' which is advised against in the New and Old Testament. I guess because it leads to a lack of control over mind and body and deteriorates the body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
    This is very similar to the fifth precept of Buddhism.

As for heroin and cocaine being a perfectly normal part of life.. I'm not sure those types of drugs can be used in moderation? Aren't they designed to be addictive from the very first hit? Myself being someone who doesn't have a lot of impulse control, I'm sure a single use of cocaine would spell ruin for my life! Maybe it would depend on personality.
    A few people can use them in moderation, maybe not many. If we were to look at it objectively we would measure the destructiveness of each drug and base legal decisions around those. The most comprehensive study on this has alcohol as the fifth most destructive drug known to us. According to this study, if we were to say alcohol is the limit of tolerable destructiveness, we should legalise ecstasy and LSD, though heroin and cocaine would remain illegal.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

i have some experience with drinking,i believe they describe it as like a fish,that was me,and i did try coke once,but did not care for it,but i was doing at the time a lot of crystal meth,and acid and weed and uppers and downers,but drink was my main issue mainly shooters Tequila was my fav. no demons but maybe some kicking me in my head the next morning
    Last edited by anunitu; 28 Jan 2019 at 13:08.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    A few people can use them in moderation, maybe not many. If we were to look at it objectively we would measure the destructiveness of each drug and base legal decisions around those. The most comprehensive study on this has alcohol as the fifth most destructive drug known to us. According to this study, if we were to say alcohol is the limit of tolerable destructiveness, we should legalise ecstasy and LSD, though heroin and cocaine would remain illegal.
    I was having this same conversation with a friend just last week. We were discussing that difference between what is considered socially acceptable vs what might be less damaging for the body. It's hard to mentally get over the social norm aspect. For myself, I would be less okay with using MDMA than getting inebriated, but that's only based on what I'm familiar with. Thanks for the link. I'm reading through it now.

I'm only a little familiar with Buddhist teaching having studied world religions at school. I did know sobriety was well regarded, but I didn't know it was a precept. I like that Buddhism and Christianity share an emphasis on cultivating habits of the mind. The use of drugs to enhance spiritual experiences might have made sense to me at some point but now I'm not sure how I would get over the thought of those experiences being so subjective. I'd be much more inclined to just have the experience for its own sake.

Anunitu, with your long list there, I feel like we're lucky you're still with us! ^.^ And thanks for your welcome.
    Last edited by Azvanna; 29 Jan 2019 at 02:29. Reason: intolerable spelling errors!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

i came close to buying the farm a few times,but i think the goddess was watching over me