Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok be nice but yeah i need some help and i didnt know where to post this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok be nice but yeah i need some help and i didnt know where to post this...

yeah i did'nt know where to post this. my problem is that i got a tattoo..me and my ex wife did some research on runes and we found a special set of runes that is more then just "letters" The set of runes i found were pretty basic runes that also were letters but whatever guide i found also had a cool chart that pointed out which rune meant as far as what they symbolized and all the runes were given names. Well i picked all the runes that resonated with me and got them tattooed on me in a sequence that kinda tells a story or paints a sort of picture? pretty deep symbolic kinda stuff too..but yeah i never really memorized their meanings..i did write them all down but lost the piece of paper i wrote them down on..AND also the laptop I used to find the site that had the references ended up getting destroyed and i lost the link i had bookmarked. ..ive tried searching for the site online but for some wierd reason i cannot find a site that has what im looking for. for some reason ..since samhain and now that my birthsign is rising...i've felt really drawn to remembering what the whole thing is about because i purposely did the tattoo to transcribe a sort of message to myself. I feel pretty dumb for not memorizing it..at the time i was very busy with my kids and work and taking care of my wife so i did'nt really even have any time for working on magick and the like...i wanted to do a "charging ritual" as well ..and now i kinda feel its time to do that but i;m stuck...

Re: ok be nice but yeah i need some help and i didnt know where to post this...

What exactly are you asking for help with? The meanings of the runes?

A picture would be helpful - there are some really experienced individuals here who will be able to help you interpret their meanings.

Comment

I second what Torey asked. Some of us are really knowledgable about the runes, but we cannot be of much help without an image.
      “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

tattoo.jpg
        here you go here's the tattoo.
        Last edited by heylel shalem; 12 Nov 2018, 17:17.

Comment

The runes look to be (from top to bottom) Perth (luck), Ansuz (god), Thurisaz (giant), Nauthiz (necessity) OR Gebo (gift), Sowulo (sun, though this is missing the extension so it might be something else), and Wunjo (joy). I believe they're all from the elder Futhark listing, but runes aren't something I'm super into. I'm personally of the opinion that runes aren't any more magical than the Latin alphabet, since there's no evidence they were anything but a writing system, but I also think words are inherently magical anyway so, whatever.

These runes can also be transliterated as p-a-th-n(or)g-s-w using their associated letter sounds. I'm not really sure what else you're asking for.
          “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
          Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
          -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

i agree crow,i am not much for symbology
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

thank you very much sorry for the vauge-posting..i pretty much was literally trascribing a message to myself with that..and yeah it totally makes sense to me thank you again.

Comment

Yep, they are Elder Futhark runes. From top to bottom: Pertho-Ansuz-Thurisaz-Gebo-Sowilo-Wunjo. Corvus' translations aren't quite perfect but they are the common amalgamated 'meanings' and so are probably the meanings that you first saw, especially if you saw them on an internet chart.

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                I'm personally of the opinion that runes aren't any more magical than the Latin alphabet, since there's no evidence they were anything but a writing system, but I also think words are inherently magical anyway so, whatever.
                This is actually not strictly true. There is no historical evidence that the Elder or Younger Futhark runes were used as a divination system, but we do have some evidence that they were used in magical charms and spellcasting. Most of the primary sources aren't specific about the actual runes themselves, but there are some accounts that name the rune staves that we know today. So to say that they were nothing but a writing system is not technically correct and cannot be proven.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  This is actually not strictly true. There is no historical evidence that the Elder or Younger Futhark runes were used as a divination system, but we do have some evidence that they were used in magical charms and spellcasting. Most of the primary sources aren't specific about the actual runes themselves, but there are some accounts that name the rune staves that we know today. So to say that they were nothing but a writing system is not technically correct and cannot be proven.
                  My argument would be that this isn't substantively different from most other cultures and magic done with the local written language is pretty common. There's sources which ascribe magical meaning to runes, however it's unclear if that is referring to the magical power of words, or the runes themselves. It may be later that they were mystified and given greater meaning, much like Greek and Latin were in other regions.
                  “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                  Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
                  -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                    My argument would be that this isn't substantively different from most other cultures and magic done with the local written language is pretty common. There's sources which ascribe magical meaning to runes, however it's unclear if that is referring to the magical power of words, or the runes themselves. It may be later that they were mystified and given greater meaning, much like Greek and Latin were in other regions.
                    Except that the runes attributed to magical charms and spellcasting do not always form words. In some cases, it is the single rune itself, or a repetition of that rune that forms the spell.

Comment

Working...
                    X