Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Christianity actually polytheistic?

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Buddhist

Is Christianity actually polytheistic?

Or at the least tritheistic? The Father, Son and the Holy Ghost. Although said to be one godhead, so too is the Hindu Brahman the single godhead of many gods. So Christianity is no more a monotheism than is Hinduism. Add to this the way saints are worshipped, especially by certain Catholics, then it takes on a very polytheistic feel.

Is it perhaps a consequence of Christianity being influenced as it replaced native polytheistic thought in Europe?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: Is Christianity actually polytheistic?

There are two trains of thought in Christianity. The first, is Unitarianism, where the belief is that the father, son and holy ghost are one entity. In that situation, no. They are monothiestic.

The other is Trinitarian. The believe that the father, son, and holy ghost are constructs of a single deity. They're each able to act independently, and each holds divine energy, but together they for a single deity. I've also heard it explained as the father is the deity while the son and holy ghost contain divine power and are aspects of him, but not divine on their own. So again, no. They're monotheistic.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Buddhist

Interesting. And which popular Christian denominations fall into which train of thought. I imagine Catholicism and Protestantism monotheist and Gnosticism Trinitarian? Where does Eastern Orthodox fall?

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Technically: It depends on which denomination you're dealing with and how you want to look at certain theological assumptions. You can in several cases argue until you're red in the face either way.

Practically: The Nicene Creed starts with "We believe in one God..." and, despite all the hilarious ways that it complicates the issue, most Christians will agree with that affirmation.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

No. Christianity is monotheistic.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

On theological technicality no, they're monotheistic. Of course if it quacks like a duck... I've at least always thought Catholics were basically polytheists. Again though, there's a bunch of little, fairly complicated or semantic things, which are used to justify monotheism, at least among the orthodox church doctrine. I think the saint thing is very much influenced by previous pagan religion. The trinitarian heresies explicitly condemn what you have described the godhead as, however. Gnosticism is... well it's a bit of it's own thing and is obviously heretical, so really shouldn't be considered part of this discussion.

I would like to point out there have been arguments that Hinduism is monotheistic. The Hindu view on God is somewhat complex and not really definitive. There's some scholarship discussing various parts, like Hindu Theism which recognizing divine power as a manifestation of a singular creative power across multiple forms and levels. Hinduism is in large part pantheistic and in my opinion should probably not be compared so superficially with Christianity.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Imagine an entity existing in 3 dimensional space + time, appearing in 4 dimensional space + time.

Observing from 3D space, you can not see the entire entity - only parts... but each part seems (seen from 3D space) to be a separate entity. It is still one thing in it's natural space (4D) but you can't tell that in 3D space.

Think of it like that.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 14 Nov 2018 at 09:17.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

No. The technical terminology is homoousios--there's not a good translation for this, but basically it means coessential/consubstantial, or of the same essence/substance. The aspects of the trinity are three hypostases in one ousia.

It would really be more correct to call the trinity three existences in one entity.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Having been Catholic for the first 15 years of my life, including all the rites and being educated in a Catholic school... no, modern Christianity and Catholicism are not polytheistic. In Catholicism, the saints aren't God and they aren't worshipped... they are honored and revered but they are not worshipped. Nor is Jesus. Nor is Mary. You can pray to the saints, Jesus or Mary... but they are not God, not Divine within themselves and not worshipped.

As far as the Holy Trinity go... Shahaku, Corbin and Thalassa have given good explanations there and I'm too tired right now to rehash them.

There are some early versions of the Abrahamic faiths that are arguably polytheistic, but that's a completely different situation to the modern versions.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Having been Catholic for the first 15 years of my life, including all the rites and being educated in a Catholic school... no, modern Christianity and Catholicism are not polytheistic. In Catholicism, the saints aren't God and they aren't worshipped... they are honored and revered but they are not worshipped. Nor is Jesus. Nor is Mary. You can pray to the saints, Jesus or Mary... but they are not God, not Divine within themselves and not worshipped.

As far as the Holy Trinity go... Shahaku, Corbin and Thalassa have given good explanations there and I'm too tired right now to rehash them.

There are some early versions of the Abrahamic faiths that are arguably polytheistic, but that's a completely different situation to the modern versions.
    Eh, Jesus is God. He's just the same God (sort-of) as the Father. Treating him as not-God is more a Jehovah's Witness thing. Mary and the Saints are definitively not deities though under Catholic doctrine.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis