Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kill the missionary?

Hypothetical situation (not really. Check the news):

There is one group of indigenous people left in the world who still have autonomy, possession of their traditional land, and continue to practice their indigenous lifestyle. They maintain this freedom by killing any outsider who intrudes on their homeland. The government that has control of the area has made it illegal to come within five miles of the place, both to protect the population from interference, and protect those who would interfer from harm.

A Christen missionary, who feels that it is his duty to go preach the word of Gob to these poor lost souls who have never heard the name of Jebus violates the law, goes (illegally) into the forbidden territory, and is killed by the inhabitants.

Uhmmm... do I feel bad for the dead missionary, or for the people who have to resort to violence to protect their world?

Personally, I'm sorry the dude is dead, but even more sorry that he felt it was his duty to go in and save people who were happy living as they were.

Preachers can be so annoying... Being one does not give one a right to preach where the people don't want to be preached to.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Kill the missionary?

Meh, as a rule, I object to killing people for preaching. Also, as a rule, I think there is such a thing as "too stupid to live." Freely going into a place that you know executes tresspassers without spectacularly good cause is very much "too stupid to live."
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm more worried about the tribe catching some infection from the guy than anything else.

Comment

I'm sorry he's dead, but I'm also not surprised or shocked, much like i'm not surprised or shocked when people fall off cliffs when they try to take selfies too close to the edge. He knew this tribe was hostile to outsiders, he made his first attempt the day before and got an arrow in his bible, and yet he still went over there and tried to preach at them. It's sad that he lost his life and I'm sorry for his friends and family, but he did bring it upon himself.

Comment

I don't know if this guy was dumb as a door nail or what. If you know that a tribe is dangerous, leave them the hell alone. Don't try to pass your beliefs onto them. Everyone does not have to be you. They had their rights. I am sorry that he is dead and I wish he didn't have to die, but unfortunately he ignored it what was told to him about the tribe.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Wow. I'm sorry that he died. That's all I have to say.

Comment

I feel sad for his family who are left behind - but for him, not so much. He made a choice - yes, death is a harsh sentence for preaching, but he knew the risks.

Comment

I wonder what his plan was. A tribe that lives so remote probably doesn't speak any other language than their own, which outsiders know nothing about. He could have preached all he wanted, they wouldn't have understood him.
                I pity him and I feel sad for his family, but this world is all about survival of the fittest. It was his own choice not the heed the warnings.

Comment

There are several elements here.

One, he was literally dangerous to this tribe. He very well could have been a carrier for any number of diseases that they don't want to be exposed to and that could decimate their population due to a lack of immunity. This is part of why they don't allow strangers on their land from what I've read.

Two, they have a right to protect their borders. It's unfortunate that that means death for some people, but it's a matter of keeping their community and children safe and healthy.

This guy was trying to force his way in. Many Christians believe that until every person on earth has heard the word of God and had a chance to be saved, the end times can't happen. So they have to be sure that every person in even the most remote places has heard their message. It's a lot of pressure. They want to go to heaven. They can't do that until they die or the end times happen, and they would like to get there before they die. They actually believe this nonsense.

So, yeah. I don't really blame the brainwashed missionary, but I don't blame the indigenous people either. If the missionaries beliefs hold true, he got what he wanted (to be in heaven) just not in the way he wanted (an arrow(?) instead of the rapture).
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

kind of reminds me of captain cook in Hawaii,come in force the natives to drop their beliefs and force his on them.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

John Allen Chau, 26, offered gifts such as a football and fish but tribesmen got angry and shot at him when he went to North Sentinel Island last week. He returned the next day and was killed.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. I maybe feel a bit sorry for his family and friends, but then again, that's probably where the learned the selfishness, fanaticism, and zealotry that let him to disregard wide swathes of his own Holy Book, the laws of the land, the expressed desires of these people, and the actual safety and health of these people and their culture.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...GqbhSo_BWPCgz4

I don't feel sorry for him at all. I maybe feel a bit sorry for his family and friends, but then again, that's probably where the learned the selfishness, fanaticism, and zealotry that let him to disregard wide swathes of his own Holy Book, the laws of the land, the expressed desires of these people, and the actual safety and health of these people and their culture.
                        Yeah, I read a bunch of articles that talked to his family and friends. They're pretty sure that he was doing the right thing. So yeah, I'm not that sorry for them, either.

Comment

Working...
                        X