X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egyptian Goverment blocks Internet

Holy cow!

From http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas...e_interne.html

In a post on the Renesys site from around 7 p.m. Thursday night, the company observed that nearly all of the routes to Egypt were simultaneously withdrawn, starting at about 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time Thursday night and 12:34 a.m. in Egypt. "Approximately 3,500 individual BGP routes were withdrawn," the company wrote, "leaving no valid paths by which the rest of the world could continue to exchange Internet traffic with Egypt's service providers."

This is completely unprecedented, according to Renesys. While other countries such as Tunisia and Iran have blocked parts of the Internet or manipulated access to make it very slow, he wrote that "the Egyptian government's actions tonight have essentially wiped their country from the global map." The only part of Egypt's Internet presence that had not been affected, he noted, was the 83 live routes of the Noor Group, which holds one of IP addresses for the Egyptian Stock Exchange, which is still accessible. Cowie said this was excellent planning on behalf of the Stock Exchange's IT staff and posits the theory that the Egyptian government let the group continue so that the markets could open next week.
    [oops - typo in title....government....if a mod wants to fix that....]

Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Re: Egyptian Goverment blocks Internet

From here: http://www.9and10news.com/Category/S...0059&cID=3
    This report makes it seem as though this is just temporary.....

sigpic

Comment

So I guess Dumuzi isn't going to be around for a while. This does seem like an extreme step and I'm kinda surprised the Egyptian government would go this far.
      Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

and another article with a little more detail.....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376863,00.asp

sigpic

Comment

I'm really surprised, too, Shadow Dragon.....an internationally precedent-setting action on their part. I really hope it will be back after today's potential anti-government demonstrations.

sigpic

Comment

The protest is definitely in full swing....

http://www.kcby.com/news/national/114800899.html

[img]http://media.kcby.com/images/320*240/110128_Egypt_protest_3a.jpg[/img]

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I heard about this earlier. Hopefully it doesn't last too long....this place wouldn't be quite the same without D!

Comment

Apparently, the moral of this story is:

If you plan to take on a powerful government, be sure to use organic links, rather than electronic links.

I also hope Dumuzi can come back soon.

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

According to the BBC reporting this all day, they cut the links to stop the protestors communicating by Twitter/Facebook and therefore stopping the protestors congregating.... ironically, the protests were, apparently, bigger today than ever, and, when the police started to use teargas to disperse the crowds in a couple of cities, the protests became violent.

So all in all, a master lesson in how NOT to control your own people!

Watch Turkey in the next few weeks though, our list of places we would like to go on holiday this year read in this order:
                  1. Tunisia
                  2. Egypt
                  3. Turkey

hopefully They will put the Internet back on soon, realising their "Experiment" just made things worse. And Hopefully Dumuzi is okay too !

M

In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

I'm at a loss for words.

:'(

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Again?

Comment

I've received word about a possible way Dumuzi can keep us posted. I've sent the info to Medusa via facebook. The catch is you have to have a landline.
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                        surrounded by plush, downy things,
                        ill prepared, but willing,
                        to descend."

Comment

[quote author=Caelia link=topic=1474.msg31145#msg31145 date=1296249497]
                          I've received word about a possible way Dumuzi can keep us posted. I've sent the info to Medusa via facebook. The catch is you have to have a landline.
                          [/quote]

That would be so awesome. It will be a relief to know that D and his family are okay. The news is sure showing some scary feeds.

sigpic

Comment

If anyone gets in touch by landline please relay the news here!

Comment

I only have Dumuzi's cell phone number. Well I have his addy but it's not like I am gonna ship myself on over! His mother is out of the country. And he will likely be at his Grandmother's for a few days. He wouldn't get involved in this mess. But would be smart enough to stay in doors or be with a family member like his grandmother. I texted him and no reply. And I wouldn't' want him to go into the city to go find internet at the local internet cafe'.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him. :'(

*I'm gonna buy a cheap calling card and try to actually call him from my cell. Wish me luck
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                              X