The Egyptian Book of the Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Egyptian Book of the Dead

I was just wondering if anyone has read the Egyptian Book of the Dead. I am currently reading it and I find it very interesting. I finally am getting around to reading it. I've been a lazy ass and I just can't put it down. I hope sometime in the new year I can get some more of the Egyptian books from E. A. Wallis Budge that he translated and wrote. So yeah, I was just wondering if anyone had read the full book and what they think of it. I just find it so amazing.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: The Egyptian Book of the Dead

I read bits and pieces out of it when I was younger. I went on a bit of an Indiana Jones type kick for a while when I was a teenager and got super into Egypt stuff more from are an archaeological point of view rather than a spiritual. I got a book on how to read hieroglyphs and tried that for a while, but I lost interest before I got beyond very bare basics. And I would skip around in a copy of the book translated by R.O. Faulkner (it had some really nice photos of the original spells and such). Interesting stuff; I wish I had the patience to go farther with it, honestly, but I don't feel particularly drawn to that pantheon to go back into it anytime soon, though I think I would like to explore it again when I'm caught up on the other subjects that I'd like to pursue that have more personal relevance to me.

What have you come across so far that you like from it? Is it influencing your practice, do you think?

Comment

back in late 60's
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I did back in the late 70's early 80's. At that time it was sort of listed as required reading I suppose along with the other two books of the dead. Though the Mayan book isn't technically a book of the dead though at that time it was frequently called that.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
          I read bits and pieces out of it when I was younger. I went on a bit of an Indiana Jones type kick for a while when I was a teenager and got super into Egypt stuff more from are an archaeological point of view rather than a spiritual. I got a book on how to read hieroglyphs and tried that for a while, but I lost interest before I got beyond very bare basics. And I would skip around in a copy of the book translated by R.O. Faulkner (it had some really nice photos of the original spells and such). Interesting stuff; I wish I had the patience to go farther with it, honestly, but I don't feel particularly drawn to that pantheon to go back into it anytime soon, though I think I would like to explore it again when I'm caught up on the other subjects that I'd like to pursue that have more personal relevance to me.

What have you come across so far that you like from it? Is it influencing your practice, do you think?
          Well I am almost finished with Part II of the book. I think one of my favorite parts that I read so far is entering the Hall of Maati, which is where you tell the 42 confessions (where you recite 42 confessions to the gods). It was sort of emotional to me. It definitely is influencing my practice now.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I definitely think by reading the Book of the Dead it has had some influence on me. This morning I had a dream about myself reading a page from the Book of the Dead. I knew I was reading from it, but I couldn't tell what page it was. It just affirmed to me that I had chosen the right spiritual path.
            Anubisa

Comment

Working...
            X