Humans should stop producing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humans should stop producing

I think a one child policy should be input in africa and in asia.

Comment

Why those two places, specifically, as opposed to France or the US? Have you looked at the data from China's one child experiment? It didn't go well. Not only did the policy generate an impressive list of human rights abuses and trafficking, it created a demographic nightmare for china in the present that they hope to remedy by urging people to have at least two children, lol. Otherwise, by 2050, it's projected that more than a third of their population will be over 60, gutting their state services and the worlds second largest economy.

Comment

Originally posted by mathieu View Post
        While most undeveloped countries (which is why I'm guessing you're targeting Africa and Asia) tend to have many more children per person than developed countries, their children also tend to die much more quickly and often. And women die much sooner as well. I think the average is 1 in 3 survive their childbearing years, but it may even be less than that. Many families than have 5-10 children may only see half of them, if that, make it to adulthood. Realistically, undeveloped countries tend to have more undisturbed natural areas and be more environmentally friendly, even if they have a much higher mortality rate. If anyone should be limiting their children per person, it should be the developed world.

And one child policies, at least in developing countries, tend to have an effect of families murdering their infant girls so they can have the prized boy who will take care of them in old age. Which is sickening and disheartening.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I sometimes wonder whether, if polled, there would be any correlation between holding strong opinions in favor of a one child policy and actually being an only child.

Or, if it turned out that this wasn't a factor, whether the people who hold those opinions have given any thought to whom among their own group of siblings shouldn't have been allowed..and, additionally, whether or not it might possibly be them?

Ultimately, I suspect that people with a malthusian bent don't belong anywhere near decisions that impact other people.

-mind, these are only the biased musings of a known breeder with at least half a dozen kids and just as many brothers and sisters. Many hands makes light work, lol.
          Last edited by Rhythm; 01 Nov 2019, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by mathieu View Post
            This is a bad take for a few reasons, not least of which are the ethics of it. Mostly though it just wouldn't be effective. I recommend reading the reply I made on page 2 for more details on how populations naturally grow.
            “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
            Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
            -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Working...
            X