X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humans should stop producing

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Common error.

50 people practicing empathy and cooperation can defeat a single selfish individual.

Strength comes in a variety of forms, one of them is "community."
    As a collectivist I agree with that statement.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
    I mean, sure, you can disagree, but that doesn't make it any less of an assumption.

I'm really curious to see where humanity is headed. In times of crisis, the stronger and smarter rise up, and the true potential of resilience of humans shine. Self-interest is IMHO a better motivator for survival and advancement than "empathy" or altruistic cooperation.

For me much of the world's problems come from selfish egoism and extreme individualism.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Heka View Post
    First thought: Australia doesnt have social security numbers. Sure we have other things, but not in the same "ownership" sense mentioned. Your name and date of birth are usually enough, not some special number assigned at birth or whatever (I dont actually know how it workss).

Second thought: I have long been an advocate for a 'license to breed'. I mean hell, we need a license to drive a car, and need to be a certain age to be able to drink etc, and if you do those things outside the regulations, there is punishment. Now I'm no legislator, but imagine a license to breed. There would be an appropriate age limit. There would be restrictions placed on inappropriate behaviours (drug conviction = revoking license for a period of time). There should be fines for breaking the law (no having babies for the baby bonus, instead, disincentives to breed). I think this could create positive implications on issues relating to child sex crimes too. Of course this goes hand in hand with good education and free birth control. And those things should come first. But anyway.

As a well educated, married, aging (lol yeah but) woman, who has had two miscarriages since I was last here, I'm not saying everyone shouldnt have the choice, but thay the choice should be a well informed one. Yes, mistakes happen (or dont), but imagine if everyone knew how a womans menstrual cycle worked, and took precautions around it so they didnt get fined. Yes it's an extrinsic system, but our current extrinsic systems reward births. Breeding in itself isnt special (coming from someone who cant breed btw). Being educated enough to know what environment you're bringing a child into, and having the right understanding of the implications for you, the child, etc, should be a core part of the license to breed.

Of course there will be f**** ups, but imagine if anyone could drive and no one was policing it?
    How would one acquire a license to breed? Who gets to breed and, who doesn't?

For me government controlling who people can sleep around with is totally absurd as there shouldn't be any policing over sex.
    Last edited by Pythagoras; 05 Jun 2019, 08:06.
    "When Zeus was setting all things in order there fell from him drops of sacred blood, and from them, as they say, arose the race of men."- Flavius Claudius Iulianus Augustus

Comment

How would one acquire a license to breed? Who gets to breed and, who doesn't?

For me government controlling who people can sleep around with is totally absurd as there shouldn't be any policing over sex.
      For me, people who cant tell the difference between sex and procreation are totally absurd.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        For me, people who cant tell the difference between sex and procreation are totally absurd.
        Well, one does naturally lead to the other, does it not?
        "When Zeus was setting all things in order there fell from him drops of sacred blood, and from them, as they say, arose the race of men."- Flavius Claudius Iulianus Augustus

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post
          Nah, people have sex for a lot of reasons. These days the intent isn't to have a kid most of the time. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as a society develops birthrate peaks, then declines, and part of that reason is the greater availability of birth control. This seems to imply that, at least eventually, people don't want to have as many children, but I would venture the amount of actual sex occurring isn't substantially different over time when accounting for cultural norms.
          Circe

Comment

Only if you want kids. Or if you're undereducated about bitch control, menstrual cycles, the impacts of having/raising children and/or sex in general.

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I've had sex for 12 years now, and have still never gotten pregnant. Not once in those 12 years have I had sex with the intent of procreation.

Biologically, one leads to the other in a heterosexual relationship, pending reproductive health, but that is ignoring sexual education, protective contraceptives, and the free will of people involved.

Mostly art.

Comment

I feel like this topic should be in the adult section in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                  I've never seen this in main sections of the forum, at any rate I have no desire to talk about this subject beyond philosophical or social implications.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                  Nah, people have sex for a lot of reasons. These days the intent isn't to have a kid most of the time. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as a society develops birthrate peaks, then declines, and part of that reason is the greater availability of birth control. This seems to imply that, at least eventually, people don't want to have as many children, but I would venture the amount of actual sex occurring isn't substantially different over time when accounting for cultural norms.
                  Sex without contraceptive artifices naturally leads to procreation, that it is a derivative of pleasurable social activity doesn't change anything. The artifice of contraceptives only neutralizes the procreation aspect of sex. At any rate in this discussion I don't believe in policing sex, reproduction, breeding, or procreation.
                  Last edited by Pythagoras; 06 Jun 2019, 12:51.

Comment

I've never seen this in main sections of the forum, at any rate I have no desire to talk about this subject beyond philosophical or social implications.

- - - Updated - - -

Sex without contraceptive artifices naturally leads to procreation, that it is a derivative of pleasurable social activity doesn't change anything. The artifice of contraceptives only neutralizes the procreation aspect of sex. At any rate in this discussion I don't believe in policing sex, reproduction, breeding, or procreation.
                    Yes we have sn adult forum for members that 18 years old and up? Ask the moderators or admin about for more details.

Comment

Yeah, that's just not correct and I'm not even sure where to begin taking it apart. There's tons of reasons why people may be unable to reproduce. People have also literally always used contraceptive measures. There's thousands of years old medical papyri for the equivalent of the morning after pill. When such measures were unavailable or unknown people figured other ways out. For example, couples might time their intercourse to avoid fertile periods, or use coitus interruptus, or just have sex that doesn't involve penetration. This has been something people have done for as long as they've been able to communicate.

Also, like... I cannot emphasize to you enough that same sex intercourse exists and has been happening for as long as there has been complex multicellular life engaging in sex and that no one considers that a procreative activity. Sex is a thing people do with their bodies. It cannot be boiled to simple biology because sex in humans is inherently informed by culture and context. People have sex generally because they like it, there's a lot of potential reasons and reproduction is only one of them.
                      Circe

Comment

Sex without contraceptive artifices does NOT naturally lead to procreation. You're displaying your ignorance here. There are a maximum of 5 days a month where sex is biologically able to result in reproduction. MAX 5 days a month. The fertile window of most women is 12 hours long. (the 5 days comes from the ability of sperm to live in a woman for up to 5 days, more usual is 3) Therefore, sex on any of the other 25 'safe' days of the month, sex without contraceptive artifices WILL NOT lead to procreation.

One of my biggest gripes is that this information isn't well known. But a simple google search on menstrual cycles and becoming pregnant will provide this knowledge.

Also, that's only IF a person has normal fertility. You're talking to a person who's had 2 (clear) miscarriages in the past 3 years (with the possibility of up to 5 other 'chemical pregnancies' in the past 5); has been trying to get pregnant for over 5 years now; hasn't been able to get pregnant at all for more than 12 months; who's partner has now had a sperm count done to find he has a high percentage of immotile and morphological abnormal sperm. We still don't know if we will ever be able to have kids. So even IF you have all the information, sex does NOT naturally lead to procreation.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          That's not necessary at this time.
                          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                          Sneak Attack
                          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                            That's not necessary at this time.
                            Plus, if we leave sex education to adults, then we're likely to have more issues going forward!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

No, that's not it. I just don't feel like moving it. No line has been crossed that warrants moving it into another section.
                              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                                No, that's not it. I just don't feel like moving it. No line has been crossed that warrants moving it into another section.
                                Oh yeah I know that, just pointing out the importance of sex education for our youth ��

RIP

You cut your hair short
                                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment