Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone believe in Evolution?

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Re: Does anyone believe in Evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    This is the "evidence" of creationism I see most often:

Attachment 5330

It doesn't take much knowledge of evolution to see through the "irreducible complexity" anti-evolution argument.
    Someone explained it to me thusly: All animals and people have every gene so mutations that come up are already there, and were always there.

(So those of you contemplating having children.....you might have a giraffe or something. LOL)

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    (So those of you contemplating having children.....you might have a giraffe or something. LOL)
    That 'splains some people's families.

Not mine, though.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

does perhaps explain mine

- - - Updated - - -

m y brother was kind of a neanderthal

- - - Updated - - -

unlike myself being homomother of all master races
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Someone with a vague objection.
    There's nothing that can be done about a vague objection. With that being said, there really isn't a gray area between one and the other. Evolution--the change in populations over time as a result of selection forces that result in greater reproductive success for individuals with favored traits (and that can also cause the development of new species) is an observable, measurable phenomenon. That this occurs is a fact of biology (as well as a scientific theory)--we have watched it occur more than a few times in a variety of types of organisms. In addition to scientists studying it as it happens, there's the fossil record and plenty of transitional fossils, genetic evidence, and experimental evidence.

Now, if you are talking about the ultimate origin of life, sure, scientists only have hypotheses about how this might have occurred. But even so, these hypotheses are based on events with a plausible scientific grounding in chemistry and biology. In some cases, both modelling and experimentation have confirmed the plausibility of certain steps.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    There's nothing that can be done about a vague objection. With that being said, there really isn't a gray area between one and the other. Evolution--the change in populations over time as a result of selection forces that result in greater reproductive success for individuals with favored traits (and that can also cause the development of new species) is an observable, measurable phenomenon. That this occurs is a fact of biology (as well as a scientific theory)--we have watched it occur more than a few times in a variety of types of organisms. In addition to scientists studying it as it happens, there's the fossil record and plenty of transitional fossils, genetic evidence, and experimental evidence.

Now, if you are talking about the ultimate origin of life, sure, scientists only have hypotheses about how this might have occurred. But even so, these hypotheses are based on events with a plausible scientific grounding in chemistry and biology. In some cases, both modelling and experimentation have confirmed the plausibility of certain steps.
    Tell that to the people who's extremely religious to their beliefs.

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Buddhist

I do. Along with a round Earth and climate change.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I do. I don't have a problem with correcting stupidity, whether its based on faith or not.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

ok thal,no problem there from me girl
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Jun 2019
    Religion
    Hellenic Paganism
    Phrase
    Know Thyself

Evolution is the scientific expression of divinity.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Next weekend there's a thing going on here called "Dinosaur Day". Some guy comes and does workshops for teenagers explaining how dinosaurs aren't that old, and creationism, and all that. He's a PhD scientist but a Biblical scholar, you can fill in the rest. If I wasn't going to be "back home" wilding in the streets (LOL) I'd love to go stalk this event.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.