What on Earth happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What on Earth happened?

An experience I'd be interested in opinions on..

A Wiccan love of mine has decided to move on from relationship with me.

She's been Wiccan for decades, part of an active local coven (headed by someone who is apparently a Wiccan celebrity)

Agreed to have a leave taking ritual in order to ease the transition.

On Brigid's feast Eve, we met at her house.

Each wrote affirmations on the back of a picture of us, printed on your basic printer paper. She folded hers quickly into fourths. Declined to share her affirmations. So I did the same.

She set up what I understand to be a sacred circle. Fire, water, etc. Consecrated to Brigid. Included a lit Brigid's candle and a plate to drop our burned affirmations on.

We read a couple things each. Including the (garderian?) invocation.

She held her folded affirmations over the Brigid candle, the edge caught fire.

When she withdrew it from the flame, it went out immediately.

She tried again and again, same result.

Put it down on the plate and started trying with a pack of paper matches, scorching her fingers. The paper would not burn.

She said something about how "maybe the paper is fireproof"

Her singed affirmations sitting on the plate, I put mine to the flame. They caught immediately. I had to drop my flaming paper on hers to avoid being burned. My paper burned completely.

To complete her burning, she had to singe hers inch by inch over the Brigid's candle.

They never actually caught fire.

Stunned by what I had witnessed, we took the ashes outside to scatter them.

I left without further discussion, staggered by what I saw.

I'm a lifetime agnostic and rationalist. Educated, widely read and experienced. I've had an extremely varied and interesting life. I have no prejudice against believers. In fact, I've always wished for magic and spirits to be real. But at 51, I have seen zero evidence. Until this.

What else could this have been but a non corporeal intelligence intervening in our physical reality?

Was Brigid present?

What was she saying?

Was I just a bystander?

Re: What on Earth happened?

what do you know about pagan beliefs,and i wonder at your online name Jesus,is that your real world name? or for effect? not a judgment just wondering?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I know only what I've read online since this episode.

Nothing for effect here. That's my birth name. Changed at adoption...

Sincerely shaken by what I witnessed.

Comment

things do happen,and best to consider if there was an intervention,your friend might have had doubts that brought this about. wait a bit for others here to comment on this.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I've had to deal with the odd hex that has refused to burn. I wouldn't read too much into her refusing to share her affirmation with you - especially in the light of a relationship ending. As for your questions:

What else could this have been but a non corporeal intelligence intervening in our physical reality? Well, it could have been the type of paper. It could have been a manifestation of your friend's feelings (or yours).

Was Brigid present? Well, again, it's possible. But if she was, that brings us to the next question What was she saying?
          Have you considered that perhaps your own feeling of not wanting to lose this relationship has more impact than you realise?

Perhaps you are a better magician than you realise!
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

i did not take that into consideration mrs P.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              i did not take that into consideration mrs P.
              It's only a suggestion!
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

but possible.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. Plenty to consider...

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  I've had to deal with the odd hex that has refused to burn. I wouldn't read too much into her refusing to share her affirmation with you - especially in the light of a relationship ending. As for your questions:

What else could this have been but a non corporeal intelligence intervening in our physical reality? Well, it could have been the type of paper. It could have been a manifestation of your friend's feelings (or yours).

Was Brigid present? Well, again, it's possible. But if she was, that brings us to the next question What was she saying?
                  Have you considered that perhaps your own feeling of not wanting to lose this relationship has more impact than you realise?

Perhaps you are a better magician than you realise!

Comment

Not an area I've dabbled in much, and not for a long time now. But I have had experiences of paper not burning, or not burning well. In my experience it has usually been something to do with the kind of paper. Surprisingly, a lot of printer paper isn't actually that great for burning. There's some coating and stuff that makes it hard. if she's moved it out of the flame too soon, or even a slight gust of wind has killed the flame. it can come down to the way the paper was folded that might have had an effect on it not catching on.
                    There may be a sign, or an intervention or a reflection on yours or her feelings in there. But it's easy to look for signs when you want them to be there (as might well be the case when a relationship ends), and that search might keep you from the task of letting go and moving on.
                    You remind me of the babe
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

That's what I thought it might be l, until my folded affirmations burned without any problem.

Same picture, same paper, same printer...

Comment

As Iris said, there are numerous reasons it could have been difficult to burn. However, the biggest take away is not what happened, but the way it made you feel. You were there, we weren't. If you felt something (energy, doubt, what have you) then it might be worth looking into other things that you previously ignored. Or, it may have just been a one-time magic (or "magic") that happened at the right time to be meaningful for you. The most wonderful part about spirituality is the journey it takes you on.
                        “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I don't see anything magical here. Fire needs three things to burn - material, oxygen, and heat. Printer paper burns poorly, and it could have been anything. Perhaps she didn't hold the paper to the flame long enough, or perhaps her ink was still wet and it was struggling to catch. Perhaps she moved the paper too quickly away from the flame, or perhaps her hands were colder and on a micro scale that was affecting the temperature of the paper.

It's fun to see magic in everything, but the simplest answer is often the most correct.

I would also consider your own feelings colouring your experience, and thus your desire to see more into it than there really is.
                          “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

vol has a good point

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Okay, vol votes for nothing is evidence. Strange to find that on a forum associated with paganism. But that's probably my ignorance speaking.

Of course, it also seems like vol didn't read the description. Not to be ungrateful for the response.

Two folded affirmation pages, same printer, same paper, same folding.

"It's fun to see magic in everything" again, maybe you could read before you condescend.

Comment

Working...
                              X