Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What on Earth happened?

Re: What on Earth happened?

That's what I thought it might be l, until my folded affirmations burned without any problem.

Same picture, same paper, same printer...

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

As Iris said, there are numerous reasons it could have been difficult to burn. However, the biggest take away is not what happened, but the way it made you feel. You were there, we weren't. If you felt something (energy, doubt, what have you) then it might be worth looking into other things that you previously ignored. Or, it may have just been a one-time magic (or "magic") that happened at the right time to be meaningful for you. The most wonderful part about spirituality is the journey it takes you on.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I don't see anything magical here. Fire needs three things to burn - material, oxygen, and heat. Printer paper burns poorly, and it could have been anything. Perhaps she didn't hold the paper to the flame long enough, or perhaps her ink was still wet and it was struggling to catch. Perhaps she moved the paper too quickly away from the flame, or perhaps her hands were colder and on a micro scale that was affecting the temperature of the paper.

It's fun to see magic in everything, but the simplest answer is often the most correct.

I would also consider your own feelings colouring your experience, and thus your desire to see more into it than there really is.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

vol has a good point
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Okay, vol votes for nothing is evidence. Strange to find that on a forum associated with paganism. But that's probably my ignorance speaking.

Of course, it also seems like vol didn't read the description. Not to be ungrateful for the response.

Two folded affirmation pages, same printer, same paper, same folding.

"It's fun to see magic in everything" again, maybe you could read before you condescend.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

remember many here have seen many things that might seem mystic in their personal path.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by jesusmcguire View Post
    Strange to find that on a forum associated with paganism. But that's probably my ignorance speaking.
    When I first joined the forum, like you, I was also surprised to note how grounded many of our senior and most respected forum members are. I took it to mean that sometimes nature-based paths and practices often compliment the natural world itself. There's a variety of people here with varying opinions and its worthwhile considering all aspects.

Being agnostic, I believe the meaning we attribute to scenarios is just as meaningful as divine intervention. Our members have offered questions for you to consider that will start you off finding that meaning. After all, what's the point in having a divine being intervene if it doesn't shift your thinking or behaviour somehow?
    Last edited by Azvanna; 06 Feb 2019 at 00:04. Reason: Editted out names as I missed a few people sorry!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

as with the Vatican,miracles must have proof before being claimed

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

I'm very much with Vol here, it was the same thing I was trying to express, she just put it better.
    With all possible respect, I would say she read your description well, rather you're unhappy with the answer because it's not what you're hoping to hear. And that is FINE. If it has meaning to you, no-one would wish to rob you of that. But walking out various paths, a lot of us learn that what seems fantastical has mundane explanations. Like wet ink, or shaky hands, or a slight draft. Or the mind filling in pieces of the story to make it fit your narrative and understanding better.
    But magic is so rarely in the physical occurrences. It's as much in your mind, and how you perceive it, and what you do with it.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by jesusmcguire View Post
    Okay, vol votes for nothing is evidence. Strange to find that on a forum associated with paganism...
    As Azvanna suggested, there are a lot of things that go into our mental construction of personal reality. I have always enjoyed exploring the intersection between the inner and outer worlds, but, even at my age, I have to admit that I only have a grasp on a few fragments of that fascinating area.

But, I did want to say that the terms "pagan" and "believer in magic" are not synonymous. I am pretty sure that most of us do begin looking at "paganism" with this preconception, but many who begin there continue to explore, and think, and learn, and speculate until we end up on widely divergent paths.

Believe it or not, there are even pagan atheists (several on this forum), and even we do not agree on a whole lot of things

So as you continue to travel as an open-minded pagan, expect to be frequently flabbergasted by the follies of your fellow travelers. There is no end to our explorations, except, maybe, "to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time" (T. S. Eliot).
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.