Are Most Religions Anti-Science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Most Religions Anti-Science?

I noticed that most religions that I've been around are against science. Mostly in Christianity. So my question is are most religions anti-science?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Re: Are Most Religions Anti-Science?

From my experience Religions love Psychiatry. Religous people will not hesitate to tell you if you need medication and therapy.
      whatcha listening to thread is my playlist for today music i mean

Comment

i love your insight godman
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I agree with Sean. It's not the religions themselves that are anti-science, it's institutions. Always has been.

The church for example used to be the most powerful institution in Europe for centuries, even more powerful than kings. And when people gain power they want to keep it. So if there were people with ideas that threatened the position of the church, they would make sure the threat was removed, using their religion as an excuse.

The days the church reigned using fear (at least in most countries) are over and people are free to believe whatever they want. Most religious people are ok with science nowadays. But there will always be the silly few who scream "science is the devil" and also believe the Earth is flat and the sun moves around the Earth. Those types usually get more media attention as well, so it might only just seem there's a lot of them.
          Last edited by Eleanor; 10 Feb 2019, 00:13.

Comment

In my experience, religions themselves are anti-science, not just their institutions (provided you could actually separate the two); religions offer alternative ways to explain the world and its phenomena to science, and needless to say, they do prefer their own explanations to science's.
            Last edited by Florenna; 10 Feb 2019, 09:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Florenna View Post
              In my experience, religions themselves are anti-science, not just their institutions (provided you could actually separate the two); religions offer alternative ways to explain the world and its phenomena to science, and needless to say, they do prefer their own explanations to science's.
              Would you mind elaborating?
              Historically science was used by very prominent and very religious people to better understand their sacred texts or the wonders of creation.

In fact, I'd even argue that most of today's western understanding of mathematics, physics, and most other sciences (including medicine, botany, geology, etc.) comes directly from the efforts of very religiously inclined people.

Most of the time, science and religion are very compatible, as usually they delve into very different levels of explanatory demonstration that are not necessarily contradictory in nature.

The two most notable's examples are the Islamic Golden Age, for, well, Islam, and from the 17th to the 20th century for Christian scientific development.

Back in the day, the Jewish people were also extremely kin on scientific development as well. The Greeks also used science, and most prominently geometry, as a way to understand and better appreciate nature and explain religious phenomena (cough, cough, Euclid, cough).

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

i think the Library of Alexandria was built by a religious group.

Library of Alexandria, the most famous library of Classical antiquity. It formed part of the research institute at Alexandria in Egypt that is known as the Alexandrian Museum. The library was named after Alexander the Great, who initiated the collection of documents in 334 BCE.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Science and religion are not related. Myth is not meant to be fact or history .

Comment

For an amusing bit of Church and Science

Have a look at Catholic clergy who've contributed to science

For reasons that might not be entirely benign, Gregor Mendel beimg on it brings me great joy.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

To me, it looks like religions are fine with science, right up until they feel threatened by it AND somebody realizes anti-science (ignorance) can be used to exert control over populations.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        To me, it looks like religions are fine with science, right up until they feel threatened by it AND somebody realizes anti-science (ignorance) can be used to exert control over populations.
                        Yeah we theists are too stupid in general to know when to not follow someone blindly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                          Yeah we theists are too stupid in general to know when to not follow someone blindly.
                          Please note that I was speaking of groups ("religions"), not of individuals.

I can observe the actions of groups, and determine how "stupid" their words and actions are where they have an effect on the world. How "stupid" you are, I don't know yet, so unbunch yer knickers.
                          Last edited by B. de Corbin; 13 Feb 2019, 06:08.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

i find dogma the worst part of religion

- - - Updated - - -

dogma is not about embracing our deity,it is forced piety and rules of duty not love or compassion

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
                              Would you mind elaborating?
                              Historically science was used by very prominent and very religious people to better understand their sacred texts or the wonders of creation.

In fact, I'd even argue that most of today's western understanding of mathematics, physics, and most other sciences (including medicine, botany, geology, etc.) comes directly from the efforts of very religiously inclined people.

Most of the time, science and religion are very compatible, as usually they delve into very different levels of explanatory demonstration that are not necessarily contradictory in nature.

The two most notable's examples are the Islamic Golden Age, for, well, Islam, and from the 17th to the 20th century for Christian scientific development.

Back in the day, the Jewish people were also extremely kin on scientific development as well. The Greeks also used science, and most prominently geometry, as a way to understand and better appreciate nature and explain religious phenomena (cough, cough, Euclid, cough).
                              Hmm, I'm not sure what there is to elaborate...? Clearly we disagree about religion and science being compatible (and maybe also have a different idea what is meant by "anti-science"); IMO they are very incompatible, no matter how many religious individuals have used science for their own particular purposes in the past, as you describe... And also they are necessarily contradictory in nature, IMO - to give a most glaring example, either the world was created by a god (as Abrahamic religions would have it) or it evolved via big bang, or some other scientific explanatory model - one can't have it both ways.
                              Last edited by Florenna; 14 Feb 2019, 06:33.

Comment

Working...
                              X