Please tell your states congress to support building the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please tell your states congress to support building the wall

The wall is useless. It's destructive to wildlife, to the people who live on the border, to our budget. It's nothing but grandstanding for the president's ego. Most drugs come from other avenues, or are homegrown.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
      The wall is useless. It's destructive to wildlife, to the people who live on the border, to our budget. It's nothing but grandstanding for the president's ego. Most drugs come from other avenues, or are homegrown.
      I agree 99%. I'm unable to say for sure whether or not the Wall is literally nothing more than grandstanding for the President's ego though; I'm just not that powerful of a mind-reader.

--Sollomyn
      Last edited by Sollomyn; 10 Mar 2019, 14:10.

Comment

He has been saying the wall since he got elected. He's full of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          He has been saying the wall since he got elected. He's full of crap.
          Hahaha; he's been talking about a lot more than just the Wall. From what I understand, he's helped put our military in a better position to descimate ISIS, (or ISIL as it is also sometimes called.) I especially loved watching the MOAB destroying one of their bases; always feels nice to me to see negative and destructive individuals finally get a taste of their own medicine; I guess karma really does come around haha. I feel he's sure started to put the North Korean dictator in his place; I was also happy to see that he finally ended America's streak of being pushed around by China. To each their own though; I personally always try to see all sides of the bigger picture.

--Sollomyn
          Last edited by Sollomyn; 10 Mar 2019, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
            Hahaha; he's been talking about a lot more than just the Wall. From what I understand, he's helped put our military in a better position to descimate ISIS, (or ISIL as it is also sometimes called.) I especially loved watching the MOAB destroying one of their bases; always feels nice to me to see negative and destructive individuals finally get a taste of their own medicine; I guess karma really does come around haha. I feel he's sure started to put the North Korean dictator in his place; I was also happy to see that he finally ended America's streak of being pushed around by China. To each their own though; I personally always try to see all sides of the bigger picture.

--Sollomyn
            When he first became president, I tried to look on the bright side at some of the policy changes that could have turned out good. Better maternity benefits was one of those things that I haven't seen a trace of sense. As far as his war tactics, whether or not he's making improvements is highly up for debate and whether or not that's a good things depends on your stance on these issues. I honestly feel like we need to back off from other countries situations and only stick our nose in if we're attacked. Humanitarian efforts otherwise. When is comes to North Korea, Trump has complemented their dictator and is basically doing nothing...

Also, here is Trump's history of racism.

Here's a list of all his failed business ventures... at least I think that's a complete list.

Here is an article on why he should be impeached. Not the least of his crimes is attacking the press, a fundamental protected group within our society. That doesn't even touch the whole Russia hacking our elections issue to support him.

Border patrol, ICE, etc have been accused of sexually molesting minors in their custody, kids have died, mother's have miscarried with the authorities to blame. And yeah, I'm laying that at Trump's door as well.

Obama was the first president we have had in living history who has had 0 indictments, convictions, or sentences against him. And out of the last four presidents, Trump and Bush have nearly 20x as many indictments as Clinton and Obama. That really says something about the Republican party.

I highly suggest you do some unbiased reading. Read what the other side is saying. Don't just listen to Fox News or wherever you're getting your information. Read articles from outside the US too.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
              When he first became president, I tried to look on the bright side at some of the policy changes that could have turned out good. Better maternity benefits was one of those things that I haven't seen a trace of sense.
              Why are better maternity benefits important to you?

As far as his war tactics, whether or not he's making improvements is highly up for debate and whether or not that's a good things depends on your stance on these issues. I honestly feel like we need to back off from other countries situations and only stick our nose in if we're attacked. Humanitarian efforts otherwise. When is comes to North Korea, Trump has complemented their dictator and is basically doing nothing...
              I think he's been making some improvements at least; getting rid of chain-immigration laws would be great; I honestly haven't been keeping up with the news in over a year though, haha, so he may have already fixed the chain-immigration issue for all I know. In regards to the war, last I heard he was trying to do what you want him to; we're pulling out of Syria and packing up and going home because we've pretty much destroyed ISIS; now they aren't such a huge threat that the good parts of the Middle East will be able to mop up the rest of them all on their own; the last administration seemed to just want to the war to go on and on and on because war is good money; fortuntaely though our current President didn't pull his punches or play any games like drawing the red line in the sand, saying "Don't cross this line." then when they crossed the line, our former President just let it happened and did nothing. The world last a lot of respect for America when Mr. Obama did that; horrendously embarassing in my opinion.

Also, here is Trump's history of racism.
              I think the opening statements in that article are written in a very biased and misleading manner. For example, the President said illegal immigrants from Mexico were criminals and rapists, and to be fair, that's probably not an unfounded statement; they're DEFINITELY criminals if they're illegally immigrating to America; illegality is what defines a criminal haha. They wouldn't be coming here illegally if there wasn't a good reason that we wouldn't allow them to come here the legal way, so chances are, a lot, if not most illegal immigrants from that region are quite likely heinious individuals which would lower the quality of life for our citizens. The article you provided though completely failed to make the distinction between a legal immigrant, and an illegal immigrant.

The next part tries to imply that he's racist for trying to ban all Muslims from the US. This is another false blanket statement; Trump only initiated a travel ban on a TINY handful of countries which yes, happened to be primarily Muslim, but ALSO happen to hate our guts and want nothing but our destruction; WHY would we want to make it easy for them to get to us???

Then it said Trump was racist for asking a Mexican judge to recuse himself. This is also false, because if you look into the case involving the female plaintiff that the judge dismissed because she would've lost him the case, you'll find that the President was concerned about a genuine, legitimate conflict of interest in the matter; a good judge would be able to see the conflict of interest right away, and recuse himself all on his very own...unless he had ulterior motives of course. The article also failed to mention that as well; I had to go to Politifact for the rest of the story, because it seems Vox was only providing the chunks that push their agenda. I will definitely volunteer though that the President says some exceedingly inappropriate things at times, but that doesn't mean he's a racist; I think people just love throwing that word around to stir people up an incite drama.

Here's a list of all his failed business ventures... at least I think that's a complete list.
              If you looked at it closer, you'd see that most if not all the bankruptcies were part of a planned strategy; if you do it right, you actually get more money than you would have had you not decided to bankrupt it. It's pretty clever.

Here is an article on why he should be impeached. Not the least of his crimes is attacking the press, a fundamental protected group within our society. That doesn't even touch the whole Russia hacking our elections issue to support him.
              Attacking the press isn't a crime, (at least verbally...did the President launch an RPG at them that I didn't hear about?)

If Russia were to hack into the election, they wouldn't have made Trump our leader; they would've rigged it in Mrs. Clinton's favor.

Border patrol, ICE, etc have been accused of sexually molesting minors in their custody, kids have died, mother's have miscarried with the authorities to blame. And yeah, I'm laying that at Trump's door as well.
              Then those agents need to be held accountable in a court of law; not a man who was thousands of miles removed from the situation. Blaming someone else for the crimes of someone that they don't even know is just is an illogical height for me personally; that's like forcing a son to suffer for the crimes of his father.

Obama was the first president we have had in living history who has had 0 indictments, convictions, or sentences against him. And out of the last four presidents, Trump and Bush have nearly 20x as many indictments as Clinton and Obama. That really says something about the Republican party.
              That's because they covered them all up, because Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton are high-level criminals who have a history of destroying evidence and silencing critics.

And I don't think I'd judge an entire political party based on a few bad apples; I'm largely a Democrat myself; Goddess knows a lot of them have their downsides too haha. We all have our little faults....Mine's in California hahahaha (Old Superman the Movie joke hehehe, I'm kind of a nerd. )

I highly suggest you do some unbiased reading. Read what the other side is saying. Don't just listen to Fox News or wherever you're getting your information. Read articles from outside the US too.
              I suggest you do the same as well.

Except for reading articles about the US from outside of the US...how does that make any sense? I kind of doubt they'd be close enough to things to actually have any clear idea of what's going on on the inside.

Alas though, I feel this dicussion should probably be brough to a stalemate; I don't think much will come out of it aside from resentment and tension. To each their own; we can all only ever do what we feel is best with what we may have.

PS: Biggest reason I'm running for the hills is because of politics; stuff's enough to drive you bonkers and batty!

--Sollomyn
              Last edited by Sollomyn; 11 Mar 2019, 11:12.

Comment

I'm not going to address the entirety of the post because I don't wanna.

Why are better maternity benefits important to you?
                Is it not, for you? I'm trying to figure out your angle with this questions because the answer just seems so damn obvious...

Except for reading articles about the US from outside of the US...how does that make any sense? I kind of doubt they'd be close enough to things to actually have any clear idea of what's going on on the inside.
                Sometimes having a perspective from outside our own biased viewpoints is helpful to seeing a bigger picture. I think of them as mediators, sometimes. Like couples counseling. They can't tell us what to do, but we should listen to suggestions on how they do things differently so that we can figure out a way around the obstacles we come across.

Goodness knows, the US airs it's dirty laundry, and whether or not any wants to see it seems to be beside the point.
                “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                  I'm not going to address the entirety of the post because I don't wanna.

Is it not, for you? I'm trying to figure out your angle with this questions because the answer just seems so damn obvious...
                  Truthfully, maternity benefits are irrelevant to me personally; a government shouldn't have to tell employers to give new mothers some time off, and new mothers should already be capable of taking care of children with either their partner, or on their own; they're human beings; the apex predator on this planet. I think they should manage.

...I just don't see why a government would need to step in.

Only thing I can suspect is that the government feels it has to coddle women, which is a sexist viewpoint in my opinion, (although admittedly I'm a little sexist myself, because I feel women are generally superior to men hahaha.)

Another possibility is that women in modern western civilization feel entitled to empirical intervention, because they either haven't learned to be independent, or because they just think it would be too hard.

All possibilities above don't really seem like anything good in my opinion, so I really don't see the point of maternity benefits; I'm indifferent to it apart from thinking people would go on living just fine without it. Government's too big and powerful if you ask me; people need to be stronger in my opinion.

Sometimes having a perspective from outside our own biased viewpoints is helpful to seeing a bigger picture. I think of them as mediators, sometimes. Like couples counseling. They can't tell us what to do, but we should listen to suggestions on how they do things differently so that we can figure out a way around the obstacles we come across.
                  You make an excellent point. How do we know which foreign news sources are legitimate though? Translations from foreign languages could be a little tricky too, but I'm sure there's some kind of tool to convert it to English; or at least something that somewhat resembles English, seeing as other countries sometimes have words and concepts in their native language that don't even exist in the English language hahaha, (I've seen some pretty hilarious examples.)

Goodness knows, the US airs it's dirty laundry, and whether or not any wants to see it seems to be beside the point.
                  An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth; won't that just leave everyone blind and speechless?

--Sollomyn
                  Last edited by Sollomyn; 11 Mar 2019, 14:51.

Comment

Truthfully, maternity benefits are irrelevant to me personally; a government shouldn't have to tell employers to give new mothers some time off, and new mothers should already be capable of taking care of children with either their partner, or on their own; they're human beings; the apex predator on this planet. I think they should manage.

...I just don't see why a government would need to step in.

Only thing I can suspect is that the government feels it has to coddle women, which is a sexist viewpoint in my opinion, (although admittedly I'm a little sexist myself, because I feel women are generally superior to men hahaha.)

Another possibility is that women in modern western civilization feel entitled to empirical intervention, because they either haven't learned to be independent, or because they just think it would be too hard.

All possibilities above don't really seem like anything good in my opinion, so I really don't see the point of maternity benefits; I'm indifferent to it apart from thinking people would go on living just fine without it. Government's too big and powerful if you ask me; people need to be stronger in my opinion.
                    Can you give me an example of a country where women can have children and be able to raise them without having support from something such as maternity leave, and that doesn't leave them in poverty? You make it sound like people need to save up like they would when buying a car or house. It doesn't work that way. I feel like your stance on maternity leave is coming from a place of limited knowledge. You don't have to be a parent to understand the benefits of maternity leave.

You make an excellent point. How do we know which foreign news sources are legitimate though? Translations from foreign languages could be a little tricky too, but I'm sure there's some kind of tool to convert it to English; or at least something that somewhat resembles English, seeing as other countries sometimes have words and concepts in their native language that don't even exist in the English language hahaha, (I've seen some pretty hilarious examples.)
                    The same way you vet domestic news sources. You research the sources they cite. If they don't cite any, the info is likely copied from somewhere else or pulled out of their ass. Most major browsers have language translators built in. Chrome does. Or at least have add-ons.

An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth; won't that just leave everyone blind and speechless?
                    What's the relevance of this? And.... one can still speak without teeth, and blind doesn't mean ignorant of facts/issues.
                    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                    Sneak Attack

Comment

Truthfully, maternity benefits are irrelevant to me personally; a government shouldn't have to tell employers to give new mothers some time off, and new mothers should already be capable of taking care of children with either their partner, or on their own; they're human beings; the apex predator on this planet. I think they should manage. ..
                      ∆∆∆∆∆ seems to have had limited experience with parents.∆∆∆∆∆
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Can you give me an example of a country where women can have children and be able to raise them without having support from something such as maternity leave, and that doesn't leave them in poverty? You make it sound like people need to save up like they would when buying a car or house. It doesn't work that way. I feel like your stance on maternity leave is coming from a place of limited knowledge. You don't have to be a parent to understand the benefits of maternity leave.
                        No; I cannot give you an example of a country, because I'm too uneducated about other countries, and thus cannot speak for them, as I'd probably only be misinforming people. Regardless of whether or not there exists such a country out of about 195 other countries, it would still be irrelevant to me because I don't see poverty as an issue; especially if it's only temporary poverty due to circumstances. Money isn't really a neccesity in my opinion.

The same way you vet domestic news sources. You research the sources they cite. If they don't cite any, the info is likely copied from somewhere else or pulled out of their ass. Most major browsers have language translators built in. Chrome does. Or at least have add-ons.
                        So if I understand you correctly, a piece of information's validity depends on whether or not you can find a source? How do you know if the source is lying?

What's the relevance of this? And.... one can still speak without teeth, and blind doesn't mean ignorant of facts/issues.
                        You know....I actually have no idea what the relevance of that eye for an eye statement was hahahaha; my brain has kinda been on the fritz lately. I must've somehow connected imaginary dots in my brain that you were implying other countries should air their dirty laundry because the US does.

But since the subject came up, I'd still have to say that everyone still having their eyes and teeth is quantatively better than not having eyes or teeth!

I'm a bit of a goof ball.

--Sollomyn

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          ∆∆∆∆∆ seems to have had limited experience with parents.∆∆∆∆∆
                          It seems like you're making a snap judgement about my personality haha; I pretty much raised my baby nieces and nephew because my sister was too strung out on drugs to take care of them; yes, we grew up in poverty as well, in the middle of the woods, a couple hundred mile round trip from the nearest city, but we got on with things just fine without outside assistance; I'm glad things were as hard as they were though, because I feel it made me a stronger and more confident individual. I understand why independence might be scary to people who've never had instant access to aid whenever they felt something was too hard for them to accomplish. If they really had to though, I can almost guarentee you that they would endeavor to persevere, and all would emerge stronger and healthier because of it.

--Sollomyn
                          Last edited by Sollomyn; 11 Mar 2019, 18:43.

Comment

No; I cannot give you an example of a country, because I'm too uneducated about other countries, and thus cannot speak for them, as I'd probably only be misinforming people. Regardless of whether or not there exists such a country out of about 195 other countries, it would still be irrelevant to me because I don't see poverty as an issue; especially if it's only temporary poverty due to circumstances. Money isn't really a neccesity in my opinion.
                            I think I'm done with this.

So if I understand you correctly, a piece of information's validity depends on whether or not you can find a source? How do you know if the source is lying?
                            It's not the only step in verifying information but it's a pretty big one. If there aren't any sources listed, or the sources seem questionable, that's a red flag for me to start with. Start with searching the title and see if the same exact one comes up elsewhere and does the body of the content seem to match? If yes, it's probably just copy/pasted and the same source should be noted. Go to the source and see where they are getting their info from. I have seen major news outlets like New York Times, CNN, FOX, MSN, and so on, post information that was questionable and therefore even they can't be fully trusted.

There are many websites that outline how to fact check or verify the validity of information. It just takes time. The more you do it, the quicker you get at it and you'll start to recognize buzz words or websites that commonly display untrustworthy information. I'm not an expert in these things but I try to make an effort to backtrack information, especially if it's controversial.
                            Sneak Attack

Comment

I think I'm done with this.
                              Consider it done.

It's not the only step in verifying information but it's a pretty big one. If there aren't any sources listed, or the sources seem questionable, that's a red flag for me to start with. Start with searching the title and see if the same exact one comes up elsewhere and does the body of the content seem to match? If yes, it's probably just copy/pasted and the same source should be noted. Go to the source and see where they are getting their info from.

There are many websites that outline how to fact check or verify the validity of information. It just takes time. The more you do it, the quicker you get at it and you'll start to recognize buzz words or websites that commonly display untrustworthy information. I'm not an expert in these things but I try to make an effort to backtrack information, especially if it's controversial.
                              Thank you so much for the information; I've never really understood how to go about getting correct information when it comes to news and politics; the reason is in the next segment:

I have seen major news outlets like New York Times, CNN, FOX, MSN, and so on, post information that was questionable and therefore even they can't be fully trusted.
                              This is entirely the reason haha; my problem is that I can't really trust anyone; I can't even really trust my own senses hahaha; I could wake up in a whole different alternate reality tomorrow for all I know, (that's only happened once though, so I'm fairly sure I'm safe haha).

My solution has been to just try to remain indifferent and take everything with a grain of salt; not getting too attached.

--Sollomyn
                              Last edited by Sollomyn; 11 Mar 2019, 20:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X