Can I be a Sea Witch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be a Sea Witch?

(Correct me if I’m using the wrong term.)!What would you say it takes to be a Sea Witch? I love the sea and have always felt a closer connection to Mother Ocean than to Mother Earth (heck, even my birthstone is a pearl!) I have only been to the ocean a few times in my life for vacation, other than that I am landlocked. I’m not the best swimmer but I can’t easily drown either. I’ve never been in the Navy and can’t be anyways due to medical problems that’d make me a liability. I did enjoy cleaning up the beaches and have an altar at home with a few shells (not too many though, gotta save some houses for the marine life!) Even though the ocean hasn’t always been...present where I live, can I still aspire to become a Sea Witch?
    Last edited by Juniper; 08 Mar 2019, 10:38. Reason: Font color removed to make legible in dark themes

Re: Can I be a Sea Witch?

What does a sea witch mean to you? Because Ursula from the little mermaid? Nope. But someone who feels a strong spiritual connection with he sea and bases their rituals and beliefs around that? Of course you can, no-one else gets to decide how much or little contact you need with the sea to feel that way.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Get in touch with your local natural water bodies. See how you feel when you try to commune with them. Even if it's not the sea, all bodies of water are somehow connected. Other than that, Iris has got a good point. It is your practice which makes the difference.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I'll be honest I'm not sure how to answer this because it is in the safe zone. It's like your statement "I can't drown easily", sorry it's real easy to drown, it can be done in a tea cup.

The majority of Sea Witches are found on the Coast for their magic calls upon the forces of nature and the ocean / seas. It often also ties into ships and shipping or things of the sea's. Whistling up storms or calms, good catches or bad catches, witches bottles with their hooks, nets and other items that get included. Seen them standing on widows walks looking out to sea with loved ones and scrying the horizon. It's a type of folk & Granny Magic all its own in many coastal towns and villages. I say Granny or Folk because it also varies for some depending upon what type of sailing practice the Witch is tied to, ie whaling, fishing in general, swordfishing, lobstermen, etc.

I was stationed in Japan and saw some Sea Witch type things at different ports in Northern Japan. Some of it differed in what was done and the age of the port. Superstition played a role as well as local custom's. Some were similar to things I saw when I was stationed in Conn. in the New London / Groton area. Of course it was easier to get people in that area to speak to me. There is also a difference between the private sailing community and the commercial fishing fleet community. Was much younger when I was down in the Chesapeake Bay Area and had family friends who owned boats there but a few things done there as well.

For many people going to the beach has nothing to do with the sea or ocean. I can tell you what you see looking out is nothing like being out on the water. Being on the coastal waters is nothing like being in the deep waters or on the deep waters. That doesn't even touch the difference between brown , green or blue / black water. Yet being a Sea Witch you'll mess with all of them as you'll pull the energy of the brackish water that lies where the fresh & salt meet. You'll maybe touch the brown waters of the rivers or inland. The green waters of close shore around islands or shallows where your fishermen work. Then the blue / black waters of deep ocean where things go crazy or it looks like glass and sky and horizon disappear into one.

The beach is a liminal spot between the land and water but it's also the trash heap. It's where all the waste is washed ashore and discarded. The shells you've collected there are basically broken bodies from the deep. Washed ashore to feed the the shore line and the residents that reside there or provide for them. The other trash is from mankind often. People don't like to think about it but realistically it's the graveyard or junkyard. Then people collect things from the graves like sand dollars, shells, polished stones, polished glass, drift wood, etc. Then use those items on their altars.

But term wise, you can call yourself anything you want I suppose. But personally if all you've ever seen is from the shore then you have no idea what the sea / ocean is like. Then how can you expect to control it or it's power? You've never seen the monster that lies just over the horizon when it's angered or aroused.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
          What does a sea witch mean to you? Because Ursula from the little mermaid? Nope. But someone who feels a strong spiritual connection with he sea and bases their rituals and beliefs around that? Of course you can, no-one else gets to decide how much or little contact you need with the sea to feel that way.
          (Hope this doesn’t double post) Yes! Exactly the second one! I forgot about Ursula to be honest. I like the Little Mermaid but she wasn’t the first who came to mind because its just a story to me. I can see where you’d assume that though.

Comment

I probably should have gone more into depth with the drowning part and just said I can swim...and I’ve been out much farther than the sand so I’m no stranger to the water. I’ve just been landlocked the last few years especially but will be moving to a town even closer to the sea than before this year. My old home we went a few summer breaks and spent a few months there since I have family in the area but stopped after a family emergency happened back home. Now I’ll be moving be even closer and it’ll be much easier to get in touch with the water. Does that help my case?
            Last edited by Juniper; 08 Mar 2019, 14:18. Reason: Removed font coloring to make legible on dark themes

Comment

Originally posted by AzureAkita View Post
              (Correct me if I’m using the wrong term.)!What would you say it takes to be a Sea Witch? I love the sea and have always felt a closer connection to Mother Ocean than to Mother Earth (heck, even my birthstone is a pearl!) I have only been to the ocean a few times in my life for vacation, other than that I am landlocked. I’m not the best swimmer but I can’t easily drown either. I’ve never been in the Navy and can’t be anyways due to medical problems that’d make me a liability. I did enjoy cleaning up the beaches and have an altar at home with a few shells (not too many though, gotta save some houses for the marine life!) Even though the ocean hasn’t always been...present where I live, can I still aspire to become a Sea Witch?
              You need to talk to Thalassa.

Hopefully she'll be around soon to see this .
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Should I be concerned? 0_0

Comment

Not at all, Thal is nice.
                  Also, you don't need to "help your case"... You're the only one that can judge what your path is going to be. you don't need permission from us ^^
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

No no!

The ocean is her home. She'll be the one who (IMHO) will be most knowledgeable on the topic.

sorry - didn't mean to scare ya.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I probably should have gone more into depth with the drowning part and just said I can swim...and I’ve been out much farther than the sand so I’m no stranger to the water. I’ve just been landlocked the last few years especially but will be moving to a town even closer to the sea than before this year. My old home we went a few summer breaks and spent a few months there since I have family in the area but stopped after a family emergency happened back home. Now I’ll be moving be even closer and it’ll be much easier to get in touch with the water. Does that help my case?
                      First off you don't have to make a case before us. What you choose is what you choose that is your choice. None of us can say what is right, what is wrong for you. If you want to be a Sea Witch then be a Sea Witch. Realistically that is the truth of the matter. In the end it is you who will have to have the determination and confidence in both yourself and your chosen pathway to walk it. No one else can do that for you.

When I ask questions it's not to belittle it's more to try and make people think. Any one can say you can be what ever you want. I want to do more than that. People say connect to the element and spirit of water but that alone does not make one a Sea Witch or Water Witch. One can sit and connect to a rain storm and the water element or spirits in that rain storm but it doesn't make them a sea witch. People can become a Water Witch who dowses for water in the land but again just because they connect to water and can find it, it doesn't make them a Sea Witch and hold control over the waves. Yet they are still connected to the element of water and feel it's pull upon their body and the pull of the moon as it pulls upon the tidal cycle of the sea's and ocean's.

I'm inland now but I can still smell the salt in the air when the hurricane's come inland and the sea birds get carried in with them. Feel the pressure gradients that shift with many of the fronts that work inland when the storms come in from the ocean. Yet I've been retired since 2001 and last at sea in 96. Yet close my eyes and I can see the waves smooth as glass one moment or rising up above the weather decks and crashing down upon us another moment. Recall the feel of the storm reaching deep into the darkness one the sub or surfacing in the remnants of a typhoon. I can smell the foul smell of land and the rotting odor of things after being out to sea for weeks and no land in sight.

It's like is it a connection to water that makes you want to be a Sea Witch? If that is the case then ask your self does that same sense of connection exist for large bodies of fresh water? Does it exist if you if you close your eyes and submerge yourself in a pool? Does it exist if you fill your bathtub with salt and feel it upon your skin, taste it upon your lips and smell it upon your body? If you cut yourself and the burn of it upon your skin for that moment is present is there as it bites into your skin. That's all part of being part of the sea. That gritty sensation that is upon your skin, that is washed away with fresh water but leaves your skin sort of tightened if it's not washed away.

Brackish water doesn't really leave that sensation nor does fresh water. Most of your sandy type beaches leave that sandy residue on you though your muddy beaches or rock beach typically do not.

So much to being a sea witch vice just what rituals you hold a spells you do. That's why I said for most it's more a folkish practice. People may live down near the beach but if they are not messing with the fishermen and such they probably are not dealing with the sea witches.
                      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Thank you so much ;u; “Thal” sounds like a wonderful person!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        No no!

The ocean is her home. She'll be the one who (IMHO) will be most knowledgeable on the topic.

sorry - didn't mean to scare ya.
                        Phew! Can’t wait to meet (greet?) her!

and monsno_leedra (I don’t want to risk double posting, sorry! I’m not used to using forums still) I just realized you’re from the state I used to live in! Also, I understand that you weren’t trying to talk me down or anything like that! Thank you for your words of wisdom! I truly appreciate it!
                        Last edited by AzureAkita; 08 Mar 2019, 16:56.

Comment

I've lived in a village at the sea my whole life. Only since the last few months I've moved a little more inland, but I still live close to the beach. I feel like I have a connection to the sea no matter if I like it or not. Most people who live inland think I go to the beach every day in summer and the weather is always nice. It's not. Most of the time there's a strong wind (which I hate) and we have storms and sea fogs in the summer. The water is cold for most of the year, only a few weeks just after summer is over, then the water has finally warmed up enough to swim in.

So I don't go there every day, but when I do I feel a calmness. A feeling of being home. My favorite things are sunrises and sunsets at the beach. Or when there's sea sparkle (the algae) on the beach.

If you want to be a sea witch, then be a sea witch. But as Monsno already said, really get to know the sea. It's not all beauty, the sea can be rough and sometimes you'll wish you lived more inland (like I did, that's why I moved).

Comment

Originally posted by Eleanor View Post
                            I've lived in a village at the sea my whole life. Only since the last few months I've moved a little more inland, but I still live close to the beach. I feel like I have a connection to the sea no matter if I like it or not. Most people who live inland think I go to the beach every day in summer and the weather is always nice. It's not. Most of the time there's a strong wind (which I hate) and we have storms and sea fogs in the summer. The water is cold for most of the year, only a few weeks just after summer is over, then the water has finally warmed up enough to swim in.

So I don't go there every day, but when I do I feel a calmness. A feeling of being home. My favorite things are sunrises and sunsets at the beach. Or when there's sea sparkle (the algae) on the beach.

If you want to be a sea witch, then be a sea witch. But as Monsno already said, really get to know the sea. It's not all beauty, the sea can be rough and sometimes you'll wish you lived more inland (like I did, that's why I moved).
                            I understand she is unpredictable since its a force of nature but that is part of why I want to get to know her. Thank you for sharing your perspective, I appreciate it!

Comment

Indeed; you can be anything you want to be, (Even something like Ursula from The Little Mermaid, if you're into that sort of thing. )

Comment

Working...
                              X