Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I be a Sea Witch?

Can I be a Sea Witch?

(Correct me if I’m using the wrong term.)!What would you say it takes to be a Sea Witch? I love the sea and have always felt a closer connection to Mother Ocean than to Mother Earth (heck, even my birthstone is a pearl!) I have only been to the ocean a few times in my life for vacation, other than that I am landlocked. I’m not the best swimmer but I can’t easily drown either. I’ve never been in the Navy and can’t be anyways due to medical problems that’d make me a liability. I did enjoy cleaning up the beaches and have an altar at home with a few shells (not too many though, gotta save some houses for the marine life!) Even though the ocean hasn’t always been...present where I live, can I still aspire to become a Sea Witch?
    Last edited by Juniper; 08 Mar 2019 at 10:38. Reason: Font color removed to make legible in dark themes

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Re: Can I be a Sea Witch?

What does a sea witch mean to you? Because Ursula from the little mermaid? Nope. But someone who feels a strong spiritual connection with he sea and bases their rituals and beliefs around that? Of course you can, no-one else gets to decide how much or little contact you need with the sea to feel that way.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Mar 2012
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism
    Phrase
    Strength in Will, peace in well-being.

Get in touch with your local natural water bodies. See how you feel when you try to commune with them. Even if it's not the sea, all bodies of water are somehow connected. Other than that, Iris has got a good point. It is your practice which makes the difference.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

I'll be honest I'm not sure how to answer this because it is in the safe zone. It's like your statement "I can't drown easily", sorry it's real easy to drown, it can be done in a tea cup.

The majority of Sea Witches are found on the Coast for their magic calls upon the forces of nature and the ocean / seas. It often also ties into ships and shipping or things of the sea's. Whistling up storms or calms, good catches or bad catches, witches bottles with their hooks, nets and other items that get included. Seen them standing on widows walks looking out to sea with loved ones and scrying the horizon. It's a type of folk & Granny Magic all its own in many coastal towns and villages. I say Granny or Folk because it also varies for some depending upon what type of sailing practice the Witch is tied to, ie whaling, fishing in general, swordfishing, lobstermen, etc.

I was stationed in Japan and saw some Sea Witch type things at different ports in Northern Japan. Some of it differed in what was done and the age of the port. Superstition played a role as well as local custom's. Some were similar to things I saw when I was stationed in Conn. in the New London / Groton area. Of course it was easier to get people in that area to speak to me. There is also a difference between the private sailing community and the commercial fishing fleet community. Was much younger when I was down in the Chesapeake Bay Area and had family friends who owned boats there but a few things done there as well.

For many people going to the beach has nothing to do with the sea or ocean. I can tell you what you see looking out is nothing like being out on the water. Being on the coastal waters is nothing like being in the deep waters or on the deep waters. That doesn't even touch the difference between brown , green or blue / black water. Yet being a Sea Witch you'll mess with all of them as you'll pull the energy of the brackish water that lies where the fresh & salt meet. You'll maybe touch the brown waters of the rivers or inland. The green waters of close shore around islands or shallows where your fishermen work. Then the blue / black waters of deep ocean where things go crazy or it looks like glass and sky and horizon disappear into one.

The beach is a liminal spot between the land and water but it's also the trash heap. It's where all the waste is washed ashore and discarded. The shells you've collected there are basically broken bodies from the deep. Washed ashore to feed the the shore line and the residents that reside there or provide for them. The other trash is from mankind often. People don't like to think about it but realistically it's the graveyard or junkyard. Then people collect things from the graves like sand dollars, shells, polished stones, polished glass, drift wood, etc. Then use those items on their altars.

But term wise, you can call yourself anything you want I suppose. But personally if all you've ever seen is from the shore then you have no idea what the sea / ocean is like. Then how can you expect to control it or it's power? You've never seen the monster that lies just over the horizon when it's angered or aroused.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    What does a sea witch mean to you? Because Ursula from the little mermaid? Nope. But someone who feels a strong spiritual connection with he sea and bases their rituals and beliefs around that? Of course you can, no-one else gets to decide how much or little contact you need with the sea to feel that way.
    (Hope this doesn’t double post) Yes! Exactly the second one! I forgot about Ursula to be honest. I like the Little Mermaid but she wasn’t the first who came to mind because its just a story to me. I can see where you’d assume that though.

I probably should have gone more into depth with the drowning part and just said I can swim...and I’ve been out much farther than the sand so I’m no stranger to the water. I’ve just been landlocked the last few years especially but will be moving to a town even closer to the sea than before this year. My old home we went a few summer breaks and spent a few months there since I have family in the area but stopped after a family emergency happened back home. Now I’ll be moving be even closer and it’ll be much easier to get in touch with the water. Does that help my case?
    Last edited by Juniper; 08 Mar 2019 at 14:18. Reason: Removed font coloring to make legible on dark themes

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by AzureAkita View Post
    (Correct me if I’m using the wrong term.)!What would you say it takes to be a Sea Witch? I love the sea and have always felt a closer connection to Mother Ocean than to Mother Earth (heck, even my birthstone is a pearl!) I have only been to the ocean a few times in my life for vacation, other than that I am landlocked. I’m not the best swimmer but I can’t easily drown either. I’ve never been in the Navy and can’t be anyways due to medical problems that’d make me a liability. I did enjoy cleaning up the beaches and have an altar at home with a few shells (not too many though, gotta save some houses for the marine life!) Even though the ocean hasn’t always been...present where I live, can I still aspire to become a Sea Witch?
    You need to talk to Thalassa.

Hopefully she'll be around soon to see this .
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Should I be concerned? 0_0

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Not at all, Thal is nice.
    Also, you don't need to "help your case"... You're the only one that can judge what your path is going to be. you don't need permission from us ^^
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

No no!

The ocean is her home. She'll be the one who (IMHO) will be most knowledgeable on the topic.

sorry - didn't mean to scare ya.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.