Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I be a Sea Witch?

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
    Indeed; you can be anything you want to be, (Even something like Ursula from The Little Mermaid, if you're into that sort of thing. )
    Haha, don’t worry, I know better than to want to be something just because I saw it on TV. XD I feel like I’d be doing a disservice to real Sea Witches if I did.

Comment

Originally posted by AzureAkita View Post
      Haha, don’t worry, I know better than to want to be something just because I saw it on TV. XD I feel like I’d be doing a disservice to real Sea Witches if I did.
      What's the difference between real and not real?

Comment

What's the difference between real and not real?
        Point taken!

Comment

Point taken!
          Happy to help.

Comment

(Correct me if I’m using the wrong term.)!What would you say it takes to be a Sea Witch? I love the sea and have always felt a closer connection to Mother Ocean than to Mother Earth (heck, even my birthstone is a pearl!) I have only been to the ocean a few times in my life for vacation, other than that I am landlocked. I’m not the best swimmer but I can’t easily drown either. I’ve never been in the Navy and can’t be anyways due to medical problems that’d make me a liability. I did enjoy cleaning up the beaches and have an altar at home with a few shells (not too many though, gotta save some houses for the marine life!) Even though the ocean hasn’t always been...present where I live, can I still aspire to become a Sea Witch?
            What does being a Sea Witch mean to you?
            In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Originally posted by Oshii View Post
              What does being a Sea Witch mean to you?
              Working with Mother Ocean and her energy in rituals and everyday life since I feel like she’s all around us in many forms. Its the path I’m most drawn to, for sure. I’m sorry if I’m being vague. ;u;

Comment

Working with Mother Ocean and her energy in rituals and everyday life since I feel like she’s all around us in many forms. Its the path I’m most drawn to, for sure. I’m sorry if I’m being vague. ;u;
                More than 70% of the Earth's surface is Water. We all need Water to survive, and every living thing is largely composed of Water. Water can be a symbol of purity, birth, and birth. When you embody the traits of this all-important force, you're going with the flow. You fill every moment with living; you force nothing. You become, you experience, and you interrelate; in going with the flow, you become peaceful, and serene. For this, we should all strive to be more like Water, for water is gentle; yet it is powerful. It can be still, or in motion.It can be still. It can go over, under, and around things. It can dissolve things, float them, or float atop them. It can become hot, cold, heavy, light, invisible, solid, or vapor. It is formless, yet it can adopt to any container.

Learned this at my Aikido dojo; the training translates to daily life pretty well.
                Last edited by Sollomyn; 11 Mar 2019, 15:28.

Comment

Though you might find this interesting or for consideration in your pondering's. I wrote this sometime ago pertaining to the element of water and how I though about it.

The Element of Water

Of all the elements that influence the history of man none hold as much presence to me as does the element of water. It dominates not only the landscape of both modern and ancient worlds but also the predominant element contained in the human body. The only element to me that regardless of its form always contains the same construction whether it is gas, solid or liquid in state.

Water in its influence teaches us to dig deep into out selves. Like the physical element it represents, it possess the ability to seep into all the cracks and crevices in its ever pressing descent into darkness. A darkness or depth present not only physical in a geologic manner but also spiritual in its descent into the human psyche. Though it may take years or generations to do so it will work its way deeper and deeper into the host it is found within.

Yet even as it seeps into the darker and deeper depths it causes change upon and inside all it encounters. Whether it be the chemical change of the action and reaction between compounds or the simple notion of washing away the decay and blockage in the human body. In each it is relentless in the process it induces by its mere presence.

It is the source that cleans and purifies the land and body. Like blood through the veins does it carry away that which corrupts and infects the physical and spiritual. Before the movement of ice is the land scraped away. Before the movement of water is debris wiped away. Before the movement of tide and weather cycle does it change and cleanse. Upon the surface or deep within the body does it perform it action, without regard to man or his attempts to limit its influence.

In action it is the harbinger of change. Change that may take the form of the sudden catastrophic event or the process, which results from, slow minor shifts that result in the long term change. It is the catalyst that causes the inner surface to bend, fold or mutate and it works from within, unapparent to any observer.

Water is one of the greatest of changlings. It does not matter if it be found as ice, vapor, mist, snow or even its natural state of liquid that it is always one and the same. Yet it reveals that truth lies not in the form of the thing but the parts or facets that make up the thing. It is in that ability to mold and change which enables it to function as it does.

Even as it hides behind the face of the changeling it reveals itself to be the master thief. No place is completely safe from its ability to enter in if given the chance. No structure safe from the long reaches of its influence. Even when forced to change its face, change and movement are its signature upon and within all things.

It serves to remind us that things are always in motion. Yes, in motion even when the surface appears stagnate and unmoving. Regardless of form taken it is always a force in action and acting upon the surface of things it touches. Like the ancient ice flow movement maybe so slow and unobtrusive that it appears to be stationary to all but the most observant of observations. Like the mighty river its influence may be of such strength and energy to carve away the very foundation of those things that attempt to hold it in check. Perhaps to function as the mighty ocean and create in one spot and destroy in another.

Like the mighty ocean it reveals only the surface while hiding its secrets deep down. Yet even the deepest of its faces is subject to the influence of forces outside its domain. From on high the pull of the moon reaches down to touch both man and element in its race across the heavens. From lip unseen is it pushed and pounded until it surges forth across the landscape as mighty waves or motivated to action in the body.

Its presence nourishing both lands and body. Remove even for a moment and land and body suffer the affect. Remove the physical and the surface becomes a desolate place where life struggles to maintain and the land takes flight before the breath of wind. Remove in the spiritual and a void is left in the spiritual landscape that goes unnourished.

It touches upon us and within each of us on so many levels that it almost remains elusive in action. To sit and relax in it’s embrace is to allow the body to sync up with its inner heartbeat while stripping away the stress and turmoil of our lives. To stand before the blowing rain is to allow it to touch upon us and wash away the dirt and grime that clings if only for a few moments as we recall the ancient story held within. To breathe in its essence is to recall ancient memories of land and humanity.

The Element of Water to me in all it’s various faces and influences, The greatest story in its telling we must forever be fluid and moving in our influence upon the landscape. A landscape regardless of it being geologic, social or spiritual and our movement across it or its influence upon us.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

These last two replies here (before this one) are beautiful! Thank you both!
                    Last edited by AzureAkita; 11 Mar 2019, 16:04.

Comment

Water can be a symbol of purity, birth, and birth.
                      I meant to type birth and rebirth; sorry haha.

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      Though you might find this interesting or for consideration in your pondering's. I wrote this sometime ago pertaining to the element of water and how I though about it.

The Element of Water

Of all the elements that influence the history of man none hold as much presence to me as does the element of water. It dominates not only the landscape of both modern and ancient worlds but also the predominant element contained in the human body. The only element to me that regardless of its form always contains the same construction whether it is gas, solid or liquid in state.

Water in its influence teaches us to dig deep into out selves. Like the physical element it represents, it possess the ability to seep into all the cracks and crevices in its ever pressing descent into darkness. A darkness or depth present not only physical in a geologic manner but also spiritual in its descent into the human psyche. Though it may take years or generations to do so it will work its way deeper and deeper into the host it is found within.

Yet even as it seeps into the darker and deeper depths it causes change upon and inside all it encounters. Whether it be the chemical change of the action and reaction between compounds or the simple notion of washing away the decay and blockage in the human body. In each it is relentless in the process it induces by its mere presence.

It is the source that cleans and purifies the land and body. Like blood through the veins does it carry away that which corrupts and infects the physical and spiritual. Before the movement of ice is the land scraped away. Before the movement of water is debris wiped away. Before the movement of tide and weather cycle does it change and cleanse. Upon the surface or deep within the body does it perform it action, without regard to man or his attempts to limit its influence.

In action it is the harbinger of change. Change that may take the form of the sudden catastrophic event or the process, which results from, slow minor shifts that result in the long term change. It is the catalyst that causes the inner surface to bend, fold or mutate and it works from within, unapparent to any observer.

Water is one of the greatest of changlings. It does not matter if it be found as ice, vapor, mist, snow or even its natural state of liquid that it is always one and the same. Yet it reveals that truth lies not in the form of the thing but the parts or facets that make up the thing. It is in that ability to mold and change which enables it to function as it does.

Even as it hides behind the face of the changeling it reveals itself to be the master thief. No place is completely safe from its ability to enter in if given the chance. No structure safe from the long reaches of its influence. Even when forced to change its face, change and movement are its signature upon and within all things.

It serves to remind us that things are always in motion. Yes, in motion even when the surface appears stagnate and unmoving. Regardless of form taken it is always a force in action and acting upon the surface of things it touches. Like the ancient ice flow movement maybe so slow and unobtrusive that it appears to be stationary to all but the most observant of observations. Like the mighty river its influence may be of such strength and energy to carve away the very foundation of those things that attempt to hold it in check. Perhaps to function as the mighty ocean and create in one spot and destroy in another.

Like the mighty ocean it reveals only the surface while hiding its secrets deep down. Yet even the deepest of its faces is subject to the influence of forces outside its domain. From on high the pull of the moon reaches down to touch both man and element in its race across the heavens. From lip unseen is it pushed and pounded until it surges forth across the landscape as mighty waves or motivated to action in the body.

Its presence nourishing both lands and body. Remove even for a moment and land and body suffer the affect. Remove the physical and the surface becomes a desolate place where life struggles to maintain and the land takes flight before the breath of wind. Remove in the spiritual and a void is left in the spiritual landscape that goes unnourished.

It touches upon us and within each of us on so many levels that it almost remains elusive in action. To sit and relax in it’s embrace is to allow the body to sync up with its inner heartbeat while stripping away the stress and turmoil of our lives. To stand before the blowing rain is to allow it to touch upon us and wash away the dirt and grime that clings if only for a few moments as we recall the ancient story held within. To breathe in its essence is to recall ancient memories of land and humanity.

The Element of Water to me in all it’s various faces and influences, The greatest story in its telling we must forever be fluid and moving in our influence upon the landscape. A landscape regardless of it being geologic, social or spiritual and our movement across it or its influence upon us.
                      Very beautiful indeed! Thanks for sharing.

These last two replies here (before this one) are beautiful! Thank you both!
                      You're quite welcome.
                      Last edited by Sollomyn; 11 Mar 2019, 16:55.

Comment

I practice an almost exclusively coastal and ocean-centric witchcraft. I venerate various water powers, most of my ritual work and magic is cenetered around the ocean, and I spend quite a bit of time at the beach, on the water, or in the coastal areas of where I live, wehther its doing mundane things, magical ones, in meditation, etc.

I agree with Monsno about the beach (really the coast in general, including coastal waters, marshes, tidal islands, etc.) being liminal spaces. Those spaces connect to rivers and streams, through the entire watershed. The ocean itself drives weather and climate for the entire planet. It is where life originated from and it is where most things ultimately end up before they are turned into something else. I disagree that the beach is a graveyard, the fact that it is (from a biolgical standpoint) what is called an edge habitat actually means that there is more diversity in the life there than what is found both upland or in deep water. It is, however, unfriendly to things that are not highly adaptable or very sturdy and the sheer geophysics of the location means that things that are lost in the ocean (or on land, but washed into the watershed) are frequently recovered...less a trash heap, and more a recycling center.

If you think about the ocean in terms of allegory, its the heart of the earth. Rivers, streams, groundwater, etc., they are the veins of the body of the earth...weather, the evaporation and precipitation of water from the ocean, is its arteries. No matter where you live, you are, at least in some small way, part of the ocean's work and therefore connected to its power. Without the ocean, there would be no life, and without life, no magic.

Labels are useful to convey description and meaning to another...but are recieved according to the understanding and frame of reference of the other. Call yourself what you want. If someone disagrees or misunderstands, its a point of conversation and learning (or realization of what a jerk they are and a point for disengaging).
                        Last edited by thalassa; 12 Mar 2019, 07:32.
                        “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                        ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                        ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          It is where life originated from...
                          What are your thoughts or experiences on or with mermaids? I wanted to turn myself into a mermaid, (or would it be merman?) when I was about eleven. My sister and I pretty much grew up on a lake in the middle of Alaska and took to the water like fish, unbothered by the frigid temperatures. As soon as it thawed enough to go swimming we'd jump on in with the large floating chunks of ice haha. I still want to turn myself into a mermaid, but I'd want to be able to shapeshift back into a human whenever I desire as well.

--Sollomyn

Comment

I think the main reason I say the beach area is a graveyard is because it's the area that is most likely to be destroyed and wiped away over and over. Roughly that area that goes from the waters edge to just short of where many of the dunes normally would begin or your raised sand bars and above the surf lines. Your seasonal storms will reshape it over and over, in many places extending it out into the water or erasing it completely as the tides act upon the shoreline.

While the dune lines, high sand lines or barrier lines form part of the actual beaches in my mind I usually do not directly associate those with the beaches when people speak of "beaches". Unfortunately those dunes, high sand lines and barriers are what get destroyed so people can have their houses and such on the beaches and that leads to a lot of coastal & environmental destruction when the storms come in.

Overall though I agree with thalassa about the diversity in the watershed area's often being more diverse, adaptive and complex than what you'll find in the ocean's and mountain region's.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              I practice an almost exclusively coastal and ocean-centric witchcraft. I venerate various water powers, most of my ritual work and magic is cenetered around the ocean, and I spend quite a bit of time at the beach, on the water, or in the coastal areas of where I live, wehther its doing mundane things, magical ones, in meditation, etc.

I agree with Monsno about the beach (really the coast in general, including coastal waters, marshes, tidal islands, etc.) being liminal spaces. Those spaces connect to rivers and streams, through the entire watershed. The ocean itself drives weather and climate for the entire planet. It is where life originated from and it is where most things ultimately end up before they are turned into something else. I disagree that the beach is a graveyard, the fact that it is (from a biolgical standpoint) what is called an edge habitat actually means that there is more diversity in the life there than what is found both upland or in deep water. It is, however, unfriendly to things that are not highly adaptable or very sturdy and the sheer geophysics of the location means that things that are lost in the ocean (or on land, but washed into the watershed) are frequently recovered...less a trash heap, and more a recycling center.

If you think about the ocean in terms of allegory, its the heart of the earth. Rivers, streams, groundwater, etc., they are the veins of the body of the earth...weather, the evaporation and precipitation of water from the ocean, is its arteries. No matter where you live, you are, at least in some small way, part of the ocean's work and therefore connected to its power. Without the ocean, there would be no life, and without life, no magic.

Labels are useful to convey description and meaning to another...but are recieved according to the understanding and frame of reference of the other. Call yourself what you want. If someone disagrees or misunderstands, its a point of conversation and learning (or realization of what a jerk they are and a point for disengaging).
                              It is a pleasure to greet you Ms. thalassa! I’ve heard many good things about you here! Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me and I agree! The ocean is vital to all living things and I’ll always honor and respect her!

Comment

Working...
                              X