Is Galathach (Modern Gaulish) a waste of time? + advice or resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Galathach (Modern Gaulish) a waste of time? + advice or resources

I have been studying the Gaulish language and culture for almost two years, and what I've kinda found is that the lack of attested verbs makes it very difficult to put together a solid sentence. I've been looking into the concept of Modern Gaulish, which is supposed to follow the natural progression of the language had it not died out, and has a much more solid base vocabulary. a lot of the words and terms do match up with historically attested Gaulish words, but I don't really know if it would be worth putting time into.
    Would it benefit me at all to study this reconstructed form of Gaulish? I would like to eventually be able to write poetry and music with it. And, if so, could anybody link me to some resources for learning?
    Talk to me people!

Re: Is Galathach (Modern Gaulish) a waste of time? + advice or resources

Do you feel it would benefit you? You're the only one who can answer this question.

Mostly art.

Comment

It sounds like learning the language is important to you, and it would be impossible to completely reconstruct the ancient form. If it is important to you to have a functional language to work with, then yeah, it would be worth it. You could continue learning what you can of the ancient form as well, and compare contrast to find your own personal form of the language if you don't feel the need to share with a larger community. Put that larger community would probably be more familiar with the modern form. So if sharing is important, that would be the best route.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

There are many ways something can benefit one: spiritually, financially, mentally, physically, etc. If not many people know it, then if you are specialized in it should a job opportunity come your way, then you have better odds. If it feels right to you and you get enjoyment out of it, and you use it in your art or as an expression, then that in itself is a benefit, yes?
        ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Working...
        X