Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is There A Neutral Religion Exist?

Mar 2019
    Religion
    Solitary Witchcraft
    Phrase
    Question everything.

Re: Is There A Neutral Religion Exist?

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsSon View Post
    I get where you come from, but neither one is actually a religion, but descriptors regarding the devine, in the context of a faith (or non-faith).

I am an agnostic atheist (meaning that I do not believe, but do not believe that it can be proven)
    most Christians that I know are agnostic theists (meaning that they believe, but do not believe it can be proven)
    some are gnostic theist (not just talking about the Gnostics), and some are gnostic athiests.

additionally, many Buddhists are atheists.

atheism and agnosticism aren't religions.
    Good point. I just can't think of any religions that are neutral in terms of good and evil. Mostly, because the very nature of religion is anything but neutral, and often used by others to learn the difference between good and evil, thus most religions lean towards the side of whatever they think "good" is, which in our culture, could be "evil."

The second reason is because I just plain don't believe in good and evil, so it's just about impossible for me to give an example of neutrality on the subject, especially in regards to religion haha. The closest thing I could come up with would be atheism or agnosticism; anything else is going to try to push an agenda of some kind; if the OP wants neutrality, they shouldn't want a religion haha.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 17 Mar 2019 at 16:39.

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

The Norse/Germanic pre-Christians viewed life in terms of chaos and order. Not really good/ evil.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    anti...
    Phrase
    If, at first, you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollomyn View Post
    Good point. I just can't think of any religions that are neutral in terms of good and evil. Mostly, because the very nature of religion is anything but neutral, and often used by others to learn the difference between good and evil, thus most religions lean towards the side of whatever they think "good" is, which in our culture, could be "evil."

The second reason is because I just plain don't believe in good and evil, so it's just about impossible for me to give an example of neutrality on the subject, especially in regards to religion haha. The closest thing I could come up with would be atheism or agnosticism; anything else is going to try to push an agenda of some kind; if the OP wants neutrality, they shouldn't want a religion haha.
    Buddhism is remarkably neutral, from what I understand. It is about enlightenment, not about good/evil.
    Satanism is remarkably similar in goal to Buddhism, although with a much heavier Libertarian bent (being a Libertarian atheist... maybe this is why I get along with Satanists so well).
    Last edited by ThorsSon; 18 Mar 2019 at 11:37.
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    The Norse/Germanic pre-Christians viewed life in terms of chaos and order. Not really good/ evil.
    There is a school of thought which concludes all religion exists in the context of order and chaos. The modern, western, conception of moral dichotomy is not what was followed in most places through history, though even these modern ideas of "goodness" can be seen as expressions upholding social and divine order.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Mar 2019
    Religion
    Solitary Witchcraft
    Phrase
    Question everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsSon View Post
    Buddhism is remarkably neutral, from what I understand. It is about enlightenment, not about good/evil.
    Satanism is remarkably similar in goal to Buddhism, although with a much heavier Libertarian bent (being a Libertarian atheist... maybe this is why I get along with Satanists so well).
    From what I understand, truly following the Buddhist path is incredibly hard due to being incredibly boring in that it derives you of certain liberties, like having sex whenever you want, eating whatever you want, or partying and having a blast, or striving towards higher ambitions and goals. Buddhism seems to be a path of simply existing on Earth as peacefully as humanly possible haha. I admire and commend adherents of Buddhism for their commitments to their vows, but I also feel it's a bitof an extreme path; with ironically, not very much balance to it. I just personally wouldn't be able to be a part of something that's based on suppressing carnal desires.

Satanism though, I deeply enjoy the company of Satanists haha. They are pretty balanced in terms of "good" and "evil"; they seem to understand that there's a proper time and place for everything, no matter how horrible, or how cruel it may seem. Surely one should always strive for less extreme alternatives, but I believe sometimes there is no other choice but to embrace the darkness, returning to the light (or twilight haha) once the job that needs to be done is finished. The only thing that bothers me about Satanists is that I haven't met very many who seem capable of pulling themselves back out of the darkness once it has served it's purpose. Some can, for sure, but a lot seem to just be delinquents who want to shock their parents to get more attention, or something like that haha. For that, I cautiously support Satanic philosophies; I try to see the good points of all religions I come across; in the past I tended to focus on just the negative aspects and was very anti-religious haha.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 18 Mar 2019 at 21:38.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollomyn View Post
    From what I understand, truly following the Buddhist path is incredibly hard due to being incredibly boring in that it derives you of certain liberties, like having sex whenever you want, eating whatever you want, or partying and having a blast, or striving towards higher ambitions and goals. Buddhism seems to be a path of simply existing on Earth as peacefully as humanly possible haha. I admire and commend adherents of Buddhism for their commitments to their vows, but I also feel it's a bitof an extreme path; with ironically, not very much balance to it. I just personally wouldn't be able to be a part of something that's based on suppressing carnal desires.
    I don't think you understand the whole point of Buddhism. To understand what you are talking about, you may want to explore the Four Noble Truths. Haha.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Mar 2019
    Religion
    Solitary Witchcraft
    Phrase
    Question everything.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    I don't think you understand the whole point of Buddhism. To understand what you are talking about, you may want to explore the Four Noble Truths. Haha.
    You're right, I probably don't; I've only looked into it briefly. Thanks for the tip; I'll look into the Four Noble Truths some other time; sounds too simple to not be a little more complicated than that though, haha. If I recall correctly, there's also multiple types of buddhism, too; I could have just been looking at one of the really stringent ones.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019 at 05:19.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Is there a neutral religion exist anywhere on this planet? You know a religion that balances good and evil.

I practice a bioregional witchcraft rooted in deep ecology, an agnostic/pantheistic concept of existence, and a polytheistic religious humanist ritual practice. Good and evil are human constructs, and as such, have whatever value we assign them.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible